Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to restore these rotten buffer supports on the RGBs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Great work on the bus.

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
mstra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to restore these rotten buffer supports on the RGBs Reply with quote

This is an old post but if someone ends up here as I did the parts are now available at BBT and CIP1.

Knowing what to search was the hard part.

REAR SUPPENSION SUPPORT ON SWING AXLE TUBE

Who would have known?

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-501-505/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to restore these rotten buffer supports on the RGBs Reply with quote

mstra, thanks for the update, good to know!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to restore these rotten buffer supports on the RGBs Reply with quote

Hi "mstra",

Thanks for the update tip on where to locate the reproduction part! I should have know that Bob at BBT would have that part reproduced and provide it to his network of retailers. BBT Bob is awesome!

Thanks again, this will make this repair much easier on a '67 Bus transaxle I have stored away as a spare!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to restore these rotten buffer supports on the RGBs Reply with quote

I've just run into this issue - on my '65. This thread is great - and the link to the readily available part is excellent.
https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-501-505/

I'm trying to figure out how important these parts are, and if I buy the parts - can they be welded on the bus - or do you need to remove the rear axle to do this?

It sounds like some earlier buses didn't even have them...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to restore these rotten buffer supports on the RGBs Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how important these parts are

It sounds like some earlier buses didn't even have them...

They only have value if your bus was built with the brackets on the frame that the rubber buffers hit (or if someone else has welded the brackets on to the frame). Without those brackets they're pointless.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to restore these rotten buffer supports on the RGBs Reply with quote

My bus has the brackets. I was just reaplacing my shocks, and bumped the bumper with my arm...and it came off. When I looked at the spot where it is supposed to attach - it was totally rusted out, and the nub that the rubber piece attaches too was completely rusted off. Just like th pics earlier in this thread.

I was wondering if it is worth it or needed to have a new mount installed, and if so - can they be welded in place, or do you need to remove the beam. I'll see what my mechanic says - I am not a welder Wink

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: