Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 volt wiper conversion Questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: 12 volt wiper conversion Questions Reply with quote

I am installing a 12 volt 2 speed wiper assembly and 2 speed switch.

My question is about the wiring and what seems like 2 different ways to connect it.

2 speed wiper connections.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are two diagrams that are useful.

Here are the instructions I found at Airhead Parts but are from oldvolkshome.com and mention putting the jumper on terminals 53 and 53b of the SWITCH.

"""How to Replace (Step-By-Step):

1. Disconnect the Battery Ground Strap.

2. Remove and tag each wire from your old Wiper Switch, noting the Terminal Numbers they are installed on:

A. Terminal 54 - Black. This runs from the Fusebox to the Switch, then jumps to Terminal 54 on the Wiper

Motor. Note - This powers the “Parking Circuit”.

B. Terminal 54d - Black with Purple Stripe. This runs from the Switch to Terminal 54b on the Wiper Motor.

C. Terminal 31b - Brown. This runs from the Switch to Terminal 31b on the Wiper Motor.

3. Remove the old Wiper Switch. Remove Washer Hoses on 62-66 models

4. Before installing the new (or good used) Replacement Switch, do the following:

A. Take a piece of 14 gauge insulated wire about 2 inches long, strip both ends about a ¼ inch.

B. Install ¼ inch female push-on terminals crimped on each end of the wire.

C. Install each female terminal on Terminals 53 and 53b on the Replacement Switch. This creates a

necessary circuit bridge for the Switch to work correctly.

5. Install the remaining wires on the Replacement switch (Note - Female Push-on Terminals will need to be installed on the wires

for 58-60 models):

A. Black Wires from the Fuse Box and Terminal 54 on Wiper Motor to Terminal 30 (or +) on

Replacement Switch.

B. Black with Purple Stripe Wire from Terminal 54d on Wiper Motor to Terminal 53a on

Replacement Switch.

C. Brown Wire from Terminal 31b on Wiper Motor to Terminal 31b on Replacement Switch.

6. Reinstall Washer Hoses on Replacement Switch on 62-66 models. If you’re retro-fitting a Washer Jet System on 58-61

models, now is the time to install the hoses as well.

7. Reinstall Replacement Switch into Dashboard.

8. Reinstall the Knob and if used before, the Washer Button. On ORIGINAL 58-61 switches, most (but not all) used a 3mm

threaded Knob. On the Replacement Switch, a 5mm threaded Knob is used. If you’re not going to use the Washer function on

the Replacement Switch (58-61), use a Headlight Knob, it’s the correct size thread. After Knob is installed, be sure the Switch is

turned off, all the way to the left.

9. Reconnect the Battery Ground Strap.

10. Wet the Windshield and test the Switch. One click to the right turns the Wiper Motor on. The second click should not

function as the 6 Volt model Wiper Motor is only one speed. Note: There was a Two Speed 6 Volt Wiper Motor optionally

available, but they are VERY rare.

Courtesy & Copyright (c) 2005 Jim Thompson & oldvolkshome.com. Used with permission."""

Do I need that jumper at all? Seems weird to have it there.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are mixing a two different kinds of wiring, then you end up with 4 combinations! The two correct stock setups, and adapting them to work with the others.

If you are using a two speed wiper SWITCH and a one speed WIPER MOTOR then you have to jumper 53 and 53b as they come out of the switch.

If you are using a single speed wiper SWITCH and a two speed MOTOR then you'll have to decide what speed you want, slow or fast, and wire it up to that circuit.

I see that you found one of my photos, did you find these?

-Andy

- -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first line of my post was:

"I am installing a 12 volt 2 speed wiper assembly and 2 speed switch."

There is no other combination for my new set up.

My question about the jumper being put on the switch, you say:

"If you are using a two speed wiper SWITCH and a one speed WIPER MOTOR then you have to jumper 53 and 53b as they come out of the switch. "

That sounds strange since the instructions were for a conversion which would most likely be a 1 speed switch on a 12 volt 1 speed or 2 speed motor.

So, in my situation I do not need to put the jumper on 53 and 53 b, since I am putting in a 2 speed motor with a 2 speed switch?

Is that what you are saying?

I did see those diagrams.

Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was just telling you why there could be different instructions.

You obviously don't need to do anything but keep it stock! Very Happy

That's also part of why I don't like text-only instructions. Especially when the text kind of doesn't apply to what you're doing.
Chris659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if you're using a 2 speed switch and motor then just look up 67 wiper install instructions...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Those instructions from oldvolks threw me.
I really appreciate you guys clarifying this for me.

I am more excited about getting 2 speed wipers though!

I know it's not stock but those 6 volt wipers I had were a safety hazard.

If I used the voltage drop they were like s l o w er than I have ever experienced, and when I gave them a full 12 volts, they almost propelled the arms into space. The pivot arms were also worn. This bosch motor is not SFW so swapping the armature was out.

I had 2 options.

1. Get new pivot arms ($50), a variable resistor (6-12volt) with knob (50) and still have 1 speed and an old motor. ($100) total.

2. Get a new assembly 12 volt NEW motor 2 speed ($140) switch $36, wiper arms ($30), and have a brand new 2 speed wiper. ($206) total without the worry.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh, and I was thinking that I had to enlarge the holes in the cowl but a poster on 68 and up said to split the grommet and have one under and one over and that would solve the hole size problem.
Chris659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's involved in doing it but I've seen a poster on here in classifieds that puts 67 motor on older assemblies. There may be some posts on here about doing the conversion...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy: I have two questions. I have a 67 2-speed switch and 67 2-speed motor all running 12 volts. The picture shows a non-numbered switch terminal to the left of 53b near the bottom. It has a brown wire (0,5) that goes noplace. Where should it go? Also, do both the switch and motor self ground simply by the attaching hardware, or do I need to run a wire from each unit to a ground screw? I've had this setup for a few years and both speeds work well but there is no self-parking. I rarely drive in rain, so it's not a major issue.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which picture are you referring to? The wiring diagram in the Bentley? It's arranged a little bit confusingly. I tried to clean it up and clarify it a bit here:

I think you meant what I called a ground tap - it's not needed for the wiper circuit itself, it's for other items that need a ground source. In 67 I think it was only the high/low switch on the turn signal arm's ground.

-Andy
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got the correct picture and cleaned it up perfectly. Now I understand where the brown wire will go and how components will ground. Thanks.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt wiper conversion Questions Reply with quote

i know this is an old thread and dont expect the original posters to respond but,.. im wondering if anyone has wired their wiper motor to just a toggle switch?

i have a '65 that im converting to a baja and it had a 2 speed switch ( which was bad) and i think a single speed 12v motor which was wired kinda wonkey. so i got that crap out and wired motor to a simple toggle switch which works but you have to time shutting them off just right as it wont return to "rest" position
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt wiper conversion Questions Reply with quote

I'd buy a switch from cip1. But there are instructions on how to park the motor on their site under wiper motor assembly.

Good luck.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt wiper conversion Questions Reply with quote

You could use a toggle to trigger a relay, but it would have to be like a multi throw relay to get the two power and park circuit paths connected, and it would probably be easier to just get a proper switch.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt wiper conversion Questions Reply with quote

No relays needed and the wiring is really simple. I use a toggle switch for the 2 speed wiper in my buggy. This thread will answer all your questions. It has a wiring diagram for hooking up the toggle switch and for making the park feature work.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201836

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt wiper conversion Questions Reply with quote

I click on that link and in the first couple of words I see "1973". Uh, you do realize that the wiper wiring changed starting in 1972...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt wiper conversion Questions Reply with quote

thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: