Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side Cover Retainer Reinforcement Plate Question!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Side Cover Retainer Reinforcement Plate Question! Reply with quote

After searching I did not find an answer so here's my question:

I'm about to install axles on a pro-street swing axle trans.

The car was a basket case when I bought it so I don't know if the axles ever leaked or not. Is it worth buying the EMPI side cover retainer plates sold by CIP1? Is it good insurance against a future leak or are these things junk?

Also, since they're putting more pressure on the side plate are they going to affect the number of gaskets I'll need? I just have the basic kit and haven't mocked up the axles for clearance yet.

I can't find instructions for these things anywhere but I guess common sense is to tighten them down evenly all around before torquing.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Side Cover Retainer Reinforcement Plate Question! Reply with quote

I’m kind of old school and generally think “EMPI” is Tagalog for “Junk”.
They were substandard in the 90’s and I can’t imagine they’ve gotten any better. They did buy and bury their major competitor after all.
I’m an IRS guy but hopefully a tranny builder will chime in with more helpful advice.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Side Cover Retainer Reinforcement Plate Question! Reply with quote

Just another Off-Road racing part that street car guys insist they must have. Off road cars have extreme axle movement from jumping and landing the tries to rip the transaxle out of it's mounts. Street cars have very limited travel. I DO NOT run them on my drag car
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Side Cover Retainer Reinforcement Plate Question! Reply with quote

Solid advice, thanks... this is my first swing axle VW and the first time I'm mounting axles. I want to make sure I do it right but also not wasting money.

It also drives me nuts when I order something and it arrives with an EMPI sticker on it. Jbugs and Cip1 don't always advertise this fact. I now mostly stick to used German if I can find it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: