Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For amusement only
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: For amusement only Reply with quote

Hydrogen and snake oil ?
I just saw a for sale ad for a van. It's not a Vanagon but it does not make a difference:
Engine is a rblt 350cid and clean no leaks or noise, unit with hydrogen kit which boosts mpg to 17mpg.

So I did email the bloke on what was that miraculous hydrogen unit, his answer:

the type of hydrogen kit put on this van was tailor made to this GMC engine on-borad-computer. It cracks distilled water into hydrogen with the gasoline making an extrmemly effective gas burner as hydrogen burns so cleanly. I recently did a trip from bordertown,NV to columa,CA on the 395 and got nearly 21mpg for avan rated normally at about 12 to 13 mpg. Normally in the freeway with stop and go you will do about 17mg in town around 10 much better than GM had i n its day.

Boo hoo!

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load of BS Cool
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more accurately called "browns gas" it cannot be produced in sufficient amounts to be useful in an internal combustion engine.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promises of increased mileage, longevity, etc have been around almost as long as the combustible engine. 30 years ago the hot tip in my neighborhood was to submerge an aerator in a bottle of water and connect a manifold vacuum line to the top of the bottle to pull the resulting vapor into the engine. It worked so well no one does it to this day. Laughing

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some friends get sucked into the hydrogen garbage. The wasted lots of time and effort trying to improve the system and was "almost there" for almost two years. He finally dropped the whole thing, but is still convinced it will work. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BS. Put your tin foil hat back on the others are reading your thoughts again! Laughing
Quote:
It's not a Vanagon but it does not make a difference:

Vanagon content?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: