Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info on KY, MO, AR (camping, mtn biking, must-do, etc)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflane510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Info on KY, MO, AR (camping, mtn biking, must-do, etc) Reply with quote

My brand-new wife of three days and I are heading out in a few hours for our honeymoon. We'll be going to the Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas areas for a few weeks to do some mountain biking and rock climbing. It's a very open ended trip, not much is actually planned. The first stop will be a few climbing days at Red River Gorge near Slade, KY. After that it's up in the air.

Anyone have any suggestions on places to stop for the night? We don't really need anything for services, except maybe just a little bit of forest for answering nature's call. The most important thing is to park somewhere that is free of hassles, i.e. "sorry, you can't camp here" kind of things. Every few nights we'll probably find a B&B to make it more like we're actually on our honeymoon, or, um, to take a shower. Dancing

How about any great mountain bike trails in the area? Any other must-do attractions? I'm hoping to stop by the Bluegrass museum outside of Lexington. What's your favorite?

This is an area of the country neither she nor I have really spent a lot of time. We're looking forward to the whole trip. Any and all suggestions are very, very welcome.

Thanks a bunch,
jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area around Paducah KY is known for mutton barbeque, so you might want to give this regional delicacy a try. Cave City KY near Mammoth Cave NP has one of the few remaining concrete teepee motels (once a chain called Wigwam Motel, I believe). Not a camping spot but we stayed in the one in Williams AZ and it was a retro treat. If you get to Natural Bridge SP look for my initials SG scratched into the top of the arch (done with a penny about 45 years ago).
trip'n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: this should be a great time Reply with quote

http://www.yonderharvestfestival.com/
if it fits your time frame
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite places in the world is the buffalo national river in north central Arkansas. Check it out if your in the area. Lots of camping, hiking, and mountain bike trails. You might even go on a float. There are plenty of outfitters that rent canoes.
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflane,
Both Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge have nice campsites and picnic grounds.
I always enjoy the view from Cumberland Gap near Middlesboro, if you are going that way. If you come by Lexington, the Horse Park is great, if you are into horses. If you get a chance, many roads around Lexington have beautiful rock fences and horse farms. If booze is your thing, there are a flock of distilleries between Lexington and Elizabethtown.
I enjoyed the murals on the floodwall in Paducah. Mammoth Cave has several different tours and is a very nice attraction.
I can recommend several beautiful bicycling roads around here if you are interested. I live about 40 miles from the Gorge.
Nick
POS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Happy Honeymoon Reply with quote

Jeff and the lucky lady,

The Ozarks are fabulous this time of year. The fall colors are begining early this year. Check out the Current River, Jacks Fork and the Eleven Point River in Southern Missouri. They are beautiful crystal clear streams great floating!!

Here is a VW bus event in Springfield.
http://www.busesatthebrewery.com/

Daniel and friends are having a campout next weekend:
Indigibus #11 will be held @ Alley Spings park Sept 30-Oct 2, 2011
Once again it should be a great early Fall campout with some great weather. Bring your boat if you fell like floating the beutiful Jacks Fork River

The Buffalo River is in Arkansas, another great river! Hot Springs is wonderful and so is Eureka Springs.

Have a great time.

David
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bac914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with Red River Gorge.

If you end up in Arkansas:
Near Hot Springs Arkansas is this cool mountain bike park:

http://bicycling.about.com/od/travelwithyourbike/a...s-Park.htm

Definitely worth the drive if you are in the area.

There are also some nice trails along Lake Ouachita (pronounced wash-i-tah).

A nice camp ground to stay in along the lake is Joplin Camp Ground. Here:

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Joplin+Use+Area,+Moun...m&z=14

We haven't camped here, but did ride bikes through it. It's on a Peninsula that goes out into the lake. Was totally empty in July, not sure if it's busy in the fall.

Or stay in Hot Springs. The embassy suites was nice.
wontfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflane

Congratulations on tying the knot!

What wooden nickel said. ALSO:
After you spend your time in the RR Gorge (camp at Miguels Pizza)
I highly suggest staying 1 or 2 days outside London KY -( I75 exit 38 )
Go west on KY 192 for 15 miles (parking on the left) to some of the funnest mountain biking I know of in KY. There are 2 trailheads. Cane Creek is across the road and is about 6 miles up and back and kinda technical. The trail off the parking lot heads around Laurel Lake for 10 miles to the dam. Its excellent riding!! You'll be very close to the Rockcastle River with good hiking trails. You can explore around here for 2 days! There are several good campsites in the area. You can go 5 more miles from that parking lot heading onto KY 3497 to some wonderful hiking trailheads and a cool campground at the end of the road. There are trails in there too.
As you can tell I'm excited someone is coming all this way to ride and hike in KY. It's Legit and the season is good!
PS dont forget Cumberland Falls and the Big South Fork Rec Area.

Good luck and be careful. Remember you're in KY now - (the folks here might remind you of people form Littleton Smile Sorry to plan your honeymoon!!
Wontfalia
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mammoth cave in Kentucky is great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: