Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension Alignment and Height
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Suspension Alignment and Height Reply with quote

Went out to San Diego, in part to see what Jack was talking about in regards to the low front end and bad camber on the rear.

On the front, it has sagged two inches. What would cause this? Also, I could not find angle specifications for the arms. Can we archive stock settings, so to account for variances? I went by inch measurements off the old beam, and came out to about a half inch too low. However, the tires were not at full pressure.

I rebuilt the rear suspension with a locals help to correct bad camber in the rear, but does not seem it has been corrected. Looked fine until this summer, about a year after the rebuild. Can camber be adjusted, and if so, how?

Thank you in advance! Very Happy

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just been sitting you better drive it around/air up the tires and park it on the street to take some measurements from the tops of your 4 fender wells. I don't see how the rear camber is even adjustable. Your $5 Magnetic Angle Gauge from Harbor Freight is the only height adjustment tool you need to even them up.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbomicrowaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camber can be adjusted by setting the spring plates.

"There are no pieces"

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
If it's just been sitting you better drive it around/air up the tires and park it on the street to take some measurements from the tops of your 4 fender wells. I don't see how the rear camber is even adjustable. Your $5 Magnetic Angle Gauge from Harbor Freight is the only height adjustment tool you need to even them up.

It sagged some on the drive after I got it all together.

I plan to use the angle tool, but no help if I do not know what value I need to be at. Wink If we could get stock angles then folks have a reference point that currently does not exist.

turbomicrowaves wrote:

Thank you for replying! Very Happy

Can this be done by an alignment shop? It was only because of my friend it got back together.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my Bentley in front of me right now but from memory the front lower control arm stock setting is 39 degrees +/- 50 minutes. It's in there for sure.

As said above also the rear end camber can be adjusted some via the spring plates and washers but I don't remember that process or specs, also in the Bentley.

As for the sag, it's most likely the torsion arm tension on that side. You may have to play with inner and outer splines to get them at the same height. It's explained in the Bentley also and there are some posts here on that process as well. I think BobNotch also has a "scale" of what each changes the height in inches here.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Bentley page 19 for the front.

Section 8.4 #3: 39* + 10' + 50'.

It reads kind of funny, as it looks like 40*. But, if you look at the warning above the picture on the next page it says not to be below 39* 10' and within 50' between wheels.

For the rear, page 72, Section 11.4:

Sedan S/A 22* 30' + 50'
Square S/A 21* 30' + 50'
Sedan IRS 23* + 50'
Square IRS 21* 30' + 50'
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Brown Bentley page 19 for the front.

Section 8.4 #3: 39* + 10' + 50'.

It reads kind of funny, as it looks like 40*. But, if you look at the warning above the picture on the next page it says not to be below 39* 10' and within 50' between wheels.

For the rear, page 72, Section 11.4:

Sedan S/A 22* 30' + 50'
Square S/A 21* 30' + 50'
Sedan IRS 23* + 50'
Square IRS 21* 30' + 50'

Brent, thank you! Very Happy About a year ago I had looked for front specifications and asked, and was told they do not exist; even the lowering videos said it. Guess I need to look harder... Rolling Eyes Laughing

My Bentley is back in San Diego, so... Interesting it says the front can't be raised more than 39* 10'. Sounds like I might have to fiddle with the ones in the arms which apparently a bit more difficult.

I had the rear set slightly higher than stock with Koni dampers so as could haul without concern, and wanted to take it off roading like the prior owner did. However, at this point, doubt I do it, as it is having hard enough time staying running.

So once I get the wiring set, now thanks to you all, can move on setting the front proper. Still not sure why it sagged like that, and concerns me.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:
I think BobNotch also has a "scale" of what each changes the height in inches here.

If I remember right, each outer spline in the rear equaled 2 9/16 inches (front or rear). The inner spline was more, since they are more coarse. Like Mike mentioned, you might need to move both inner and outer to get what you want. Keep in mind that to do that kind of move, you might need to move the inner 2 splines 1 way(like to the right for example), then move the outer spring plate 1 or 2 splines to the left (opposite of the first) to get the right movement combo.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Adriel Rowley"]
Mike Fisher wrote:

turbomicrowaves wrote:

Can this be done by an alignment shop? It was only because of my friend it got back together.

This is miss-leading there is no rear camber adjustment, if you lower or raise the rear suspension the camber will alter, so to get less camber you can raise the rear suspension height, but there is no way to alter the camber and stay at the same height, an alignment shop will not do this.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the trailing arm bushes are worn giving too much negative camber?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="krusher"]
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

turbomicrowaves wrote:

This is miss-leading there is no rear camber adjustment, if you lower or raise the rear suspension the camber will alter, so to get less camber you can raise the rear suspension height, but there is no way to alter the camber and stay at the same height, an alignment shop will not do this.

Thank you for clarifying! Very Happy

So what would cause the incorrect camber and how do I correct it, hopefully without removing the spring plates? The arms did not look bent but can check again. Rather do it right than get in an accident.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Adriel Rowley"]
krusher wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

turbomicrowaves wrote:

So what would cause the incorrect camber and how do I correct it, hopefully without removing the spring plates? The arms did not look bent but can check again. Rather do it right than get in an accident.

About the only things I can think of are worn out control arm (trailing arm) bushings, or not enough angle on the spring plates. If BOTH are good, then I'd say a bent rear subframe. There's only so many parts in the system. Rolling Eyes One other thing that could cause excess camber, and that's loose drive hub (worn bearings, improper installation (missing snap ring), worn stub axle...etc), and the axle nut not torqued to 217 ft lbs.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
turbomicrowaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="krusher"]
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

turbomicrowaves wrote:

By setting the spring plates, the height is also set which determines the camber of the tires.

"There are no pieces"

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the control arm bushings have not been changed lately they are definetly the main suspect..if they are new, then there's something bent!
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised there is no such thing as a camber kit for the IRS vw?

So many other cars with the same basic trailing arm design have an eccentric type adjustable bushes available as a kit. But not the good old vw.

hmm? I wonder if k-mac could make a custom kit?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
krusher wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

turbomicrowaves wrote:

About the only things I can think of are worn out control arm (trailing arm) bushings, or not enough angle on the spring plates. If BOTH are good, then I'd say a bent rear subframe. There's only so many parts in the system. Rolling Eyes One other thing that could cause excess camber, and that's loose drive hub (worn bearings, improper installation (missing snap ring), worn stub axle...etc), and the axle nut not torqued to 217 ft lbs.

Bob, thank you for replying! Very Happy Sorry did not see this sooner. TheSamba despite asking for notifications only does it once in a while. Can't find a pattern to it, otherwise I would say it is acting according to a logic. Taking one and a half full time, really no time to be on theSamba except the Sabbath.

It is simple, but at times, the simplest can be a chalange due to the simplicity. I want to be sure what is right before I mess it up. Wink

I did not remove the axel nut, and I did check it a couple years ago, so will check again.

Bearings were replaced and installed per Bentley.

What do you mean by a warn sub axle? How would I check?

By angle you mean suspension height, I can get both hands on top of each other between the tire and fender. With about a 300 pound load in the rear, dropped about a quarter to half inch.

Do not have my Bentley here plus, might as well as the master. Wink Can I remove the arms without removing anything else except brake lines?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
If the control arm bushings have not been changed lately they are definetly the main suspect..if they are new, then there's something bent!

I did not replace them as the help I had said they looked fine. Did not want to have noisy bushings if I could avoid it. Also, was told it was a HUGE project and wanted to get it done. If I do need to replace them, how do I do it so it not such a huge undertaking? How about reducing the noise from the bushings?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:

So many other cars with the same basic trailing arm design have an eccentric type adjustable bushes available as a kit. But not the good old vw.

Well why not ask? Wink

Why would want a different camber than stock? Avoid wheel tuck? Thought that only happened on swing axle. Part of the reason a cousin became a paralyzed from the shoulders down. No one talkes about him because they are so upset. So, do not know anything more othr than that he was trying to avoid an accident while going around a curve and slammed on his brakes.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you building a dump truck? They handle/corner/drive/track/cross winds etc a LOT better lowered 1 spline on all 4 corners & you can still run 195's if you want to. Take it Down down 1 inner spline and report back to us how much Better it Handles!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
vlad01 wrote:

Well why not ask? Wink

Why would want a different camber than stock? Avoid wheel tuck? Thought that only happened on swing axle. Part of the reason a cousin became a paralyzed from the shoulders down. No one talkes about him because they are so upset. So, do not know anything more othr than that he was trying to avoid an accident while going around a curve and slammed on his brakes.

When lowering it say 3 splines the rear camber gets a little crazy. front is solved using Bert's drop spindles but the back can be a little too negative so a camber bushing kit will allow you to tweak it to a lower amount say like -2 o.

Playing around with the spring plate works but a few guys I know elongate the holes vertically to get more camber adjustmet but I would rather not do it that way.

I am talking about irs btw Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: