Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension Alignment and Height
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
What are you building a dump truck? They handle/corner/drive/track/cross winds etc a LOT better lowered 1 spline on all 4 corners & you can still run 195's if you want to. Take it Down down 1 inner spline and report back to us how much Better it Handles!

Not a dump truck, but close. Laughing Built it to haul, as lost my other station wagon. Plus, with San Diego roads so bad, helps having some clearance. I have gotten out of being tail gated by going 25 over 15 M.P.H. speed bumps with foot deap pot holes and was keeping up with a lifted jeep. Was absolutely funny and rewarding! Wink Laughing

As for 195/65 tires, too expensive especially when I have a good set and maybe another. Wink

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
I am surprised there is no such thing as a camber kit for the IRS vw?

So many other cars with the same basic trailing arm design have an eccentric type adjustable bushes available as a kit. But not the good old vw.

hmm? I wonder if k-mac could make a custom kit?

Well why not ask? Wink

Why would want a different camber than stock? Avoid wheel tuck? Thought that only happened on swing axle. Part of the reason a cousin became a paralyzed from the shoulders down. No one talkes about him because they are so upset. So, do not know anything more othr than that he was trying to avoid an accident while going around a curve and slammed on his brakes.

When lowering it say 3 splines the rear camber gets a little crazy. front is solved using Bert's drop spindles but the back can be a little too negative so a camber bushing kit will allow you to tweak it to a lower amount say like -2 o.

Playing around with the spring plate works but a few guys I know elongate the holes vertically to get more camber adjustmet but I would rather not do it that way.

I am talking about irs btw Smile

Thank you for the reply! Very Happy

Just wanted to be sure our parameters were the same. Wink

Now that you mention it, I do recall my spring plates have stock elongated holes. I recall wondering about it, so put them in the middle. Maybe what I should do is jack the rear up, use one set of stands on the body, and see if I can get the camber about right. If not, the spring plate bolts be ready to come out, so all be left is the pivots and cables, I.I.R.C..

Here is a tentative plan for Thanksgiving. The electrical has two shorts preventing the engine to properly run. Know the engine will run, as jumped the fuse tabs and the engine ran fine. So, something is blowing the fuses, which I think is a short. Once that is done, air up the tires, and get the front set correctly. Afterwards, move to the rear, and see if moving the arms fixes the camber. If not, then move onto replacing the bushings. What do you all think?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Now that you mention it, I do recall my spring plates have stock elongated holes. I recall wondering about it, so put them in the middle. Maybe what I should do is jack the rear up, use one set of stands on the body, and see if I can get the camber about right. If not, the spring plate bolts be ready to come out, so all be left is the pivots and cables, I.I.R.C..

if the elongated mounting holes your talking about are elongated front to rear, then you will be altering caster and not camber.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, krusher is almost correct. Those slots are for adjusting toe in (there's no caster adjustment needed, as you're not steering the rear axle). You want to keep it as close to stock as you can.
It sounds like you need to raise it up another spline though. Wink If you don't want to do that, then your only other option is to rebush the trailing arms. To do that, the brake lines have to come off, along with the CV joints on the ends (at the stub axle). Then you remove the allen bolt, along with the bolts at the end of the spring plate, so you can remove the arm. You'll need a bushing kit, and a hydraulic press to push the old bushings out, and the new ones in. Replace the trailing arm pivot bolt with a new one when you put it back together. If this sounds like too much work, then quit bitching about it, and just live with the slight negative camber. By the way, how much camber do you have? Bentley says that you should have -1*20' +- 0*40' (or 1 degree 20 minutes negative or tipped in at the top). By the way, rear spring plates should be set at 21*30' +-30'. If you're within a couple of degrees of this, and BOTH sides match, you're pretty close, and I wouldn't mess with it, and if you look around a little, you'll see some IRS cars have a lot more than 1 degree. Rear toe in should be 0* 0' +- 0*15', or basically straight ahead with no change between the front of the rear tire and the rear of the rear tire (0 toe in). Just like Brian and I were doing with a tape measure at the host hotel parking lot, at the 2010 Invasion during an unoffical "tech session" on his purple Notch. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".

Last edited by Bobnotch on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

if the elongated mounting holes your talking about are elongated front to rear, then you will be altering caster and not camber.

Thank you correcting: been a while since I put it all together. Wink

vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

caster?? but the rear wheels don't turn lol.

There are a few threads on the aussie forum about this modification/adjustment. The guy with No. 8 track bug does this adjustment and allows less camber with lower rear.

I tryed this mock up on a subframe and it does work but only only limited to about 1o to 1.5o adjustment.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
krusher wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

caster?? but the rear wheels don't turn lol.

There are a few threads on the aussie forum about this modification/adjustment. The guy with No. 8 track bug does this adjustment and allows less camber with lower rear.

I tryed this mock up on a subframe and it does work but only only limited to about 1o to 1.5o adjustment.

Heading for bed, and had a feeling to check theSamba. Thank you for coming back with real world data! Very Happy So what need to do is measure the camber and see if it is more than two degrees, right? Then, if greater, replace the bushings?

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone actually made camber adjusters for IRS type 1s, don't know if they'd work for type 3s?

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=110629
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ thats exactly what I am talking about. and yes that could be fitted to a type 3.

just think about it! lowered all round like 3 or so " with perfect -1 or -2 o

a few type 3s down that low have closer to - 5 by the looks of it. too much unless you are going sideways at 126 mph all the time Laughing
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gone full circle.

check this.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=90803&page=1#pid844622
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRS suspensions were built for handling/safety Not camber! Look at any Porsche/Jaguar and the camber will not be perfect. It will never feel that stable anyway high up in the crosswinds on skinny tires! Mine has camber, but I don't worry about it since it's Normal!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: