Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan or Vanagon? Wife has no choice?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Eurovan or Vanagon? Wife has no choice? Reply with quote

Ok so I want some advise please. I am going through a divorce and still live with my soon to be ex. The motor just went in our Suburban so I need to help her get a new(used) car. I have 4 kids and want them in something i.e a Vanagon or Eurovan. I am thinking about getting her a Eurovan. I don't mind doing work on one since I just enjoy cars. I really don't care what she thinks because I am buying one or the other. I know I wouldn't complain if someone bought me a car regardless. So should I get her a Eurovan or a Vanagon? Input please. And thanks in advance.

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah man - sorry to hear you're going through that, Joe. Not fun.

Honestly I'd put them in something that's going to be reliable and need little maintenance if it's essentially going to be the mother of my kids hauling my kids around. I'd be looking at a used 4 cylinder Honda CRV or similar because tops on my list would be avoiding a scenario where a vehicle I provided my ex wife was unreliable for someone who's not good at working on it, and avoiding my ex and my kids from being stranded on the side of the road. Ever. Anywhere.

I love Vanagons (and Eurovans) but this is a situation that would put them on the bottom of my consideration set.

Great used values:

Any Honda minivan
Certain year Chrysler minivans
Any Toyota Sienna minivan

The hell with "style" or preference - get something you know will carry them around reliably and a Vanagon/Eurovan isn't it.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

The hell with "style" or preference - get something you know will carry them around reliably and a Vanagon/Eurovan isn't it.

DougM

I second this
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxima or a camry--max is less squirly in high speed braking.
excellent durability and safety record.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you don't care what she thinks, and have plenty of time to work on it, and you have the extra mad money left over after the divorce top pay for parts, then either an EV or a Vanagon is a good choice.

If, as others have said, you don't want your kids stranded somewhere, there are plenty of other reliable vehicles to choose from.

But, hey, like you said, you don't care what she thinks. Surprised
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With proper care a Vanagon can be pretty dependable. It is certainly cheaper to buy parts for when it does break down than many other vehicles.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Reminds me of the line about Car and Driver's "best car to give up in a divorce:" Maserati BiTurbo. The perceived generosity blinds the recipient to the underlying craftiness in getting rid of a white elephant. Do everyone a favor and find the most reliable vehicle you can. You all win with that decision.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going through a divorce, you want the most reliable thing out there so you have the least number of headaches. You don't need more headaches right now.

In an ideal world, we'd have vanagons/T3 transporters and they'd be as reliable as modern day cars with the same small amount of work... but it's not.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give her something you'll love and she'll hate, or she'll just make you watch her destroy it. My wife and I went down to a single vehicle two years ago, and my paid-for '99 EV won out over her $500/month '09 RAV4. She does most of the driving while I work from home and she runs the kid to preschool and medical appointments, and I've been slowly dying inside while I watch her abuse my baby (the van, not the child). Formula spills, cola spills, coffee spills, food crumbs, curb rash, cheap gas, the 2 weeks she drove it with low tranny fluid w/o mentioning it was slipping, and finally a nice big crease in the sliding door 3 weeks ago. I've been begging her for a year to find a used car she likes so I can sell the van, but I think she prefers to be able to torture me while complaining about having to drive it.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going through a divorce, ALWAYS ask yourself the simple question: what looks best in the courtroom? What are you going to say when her attorney snidely remarks that you bought her a 28 year-old junker which left her and the kids stranded on the day of junior's--sniff--birthday? You can't go on the Samba and say, "But wait, your Honor, these guys think Vanagons are great!" Buy her the car that makes YOU look best. Mark my words.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a crate engine for the Suburban, have it installed and be done with it. Save some money and then get what you want. MO. Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I should have been more clear. The Suburban has 240,000 on it and isn't worth fixing. I saw a Eurovan today and spoke with the owner and he is the second owner and he really likes it. It was a '93 stick shift and he said it has been very reliable. Also (No offense but I absolutely hate Japenese cars. I have had them and they are not my cup of tea.) She wants a big SUV or truck and hates mini vans. She thinks the Vanagon is fun though. She doesn't have a Lawyer so no worries there (at least for now.) My Father in Law thinks the Eurovan would be practical for her. So I have a lot of thinking to do.

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjoe wrote:
She thinks the Vanagon is fun though.

It will cease being "fun" the first time she is left stranded on the road.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjoe wrote:
Ok I should have been more clear. The Suburban has 240,000 on it and isn't worth fixing. I saw a Eurovan today and spoke with the owner and he is the second owner and he really likes it. It was a '93 stick shift and he said it has been very reliable. Also (No offense but I absolutely hate Japenese cars. I have had them and they are not my cup of tea.) She wants a big SUV or truck and hates mini vans. She thinks the Vanagon is fun though. She doesn't have a Lawyer so no worries there (at least for now.) My Father in Law thinks the Eurovan would be practical for her. So I have a lot of thinking to do.

My 99 suburban had nearly 300k. Was reliable as the first day I got it, until a small Car B Cue consumed the engine compartment. Unless the rest is really bad, a junkyard motor would get you some more time to be selective in your used car choice.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Suburbans are EXTREMELY reliable but it is a 1995 and I don't want to put any effort into it. I would rather put my effort into something else. Also it has horrible on fuel economy.

"Back to the basics!"
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful...you could end up like me, and find yourself living with your Ex-wife. So all decisions you make now will end up being your future reality.

Don't ask how it happens, but just know that it's always possible.

Run...run away.

It's a trap!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful...you could end up like me, and find yourself living with your Ex-wife. So all decisions you make now will end up being your future reality.

Don't ask how it happens, but just know that it's always possible.

Run...run away.

It's a trap!

Ya it sucks bad right now because we are stuck in lease until Feb. She goes to school 4 nights a week and is driving my van back and forth Evil or Very Mad since the Sub crapped out. That is why I am going to be getting something in the next month or so.

"Back to the basics!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: