Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminess is looking for a Syncro in San Diego
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aluminess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Aluminess is looking for a Syncro in San Diego Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

We have a good customer that is looking for us to build him some front and rear bumpers for his VW Syncro. The problem is that he doesn't live close enough for us to design the bumpers off of his vehicle. This is where the fine folks of Samba come in.

If anyone is located near San Diego (Santee to be exact) and would be willing to let us use your Syncro to design some bumpers we would really appreciate the help. It typically takes 2 visits to our shop to get the bumpers designed and ready for production. The first visit is for measuring and design, the second visit is for test fitting the first article. You can see some of the other work we do at www.aluminess.com

Please contact us at [email protected], or by phone at 619-449-9930 or send us a PM if you are interested.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

We will of course update this thread with pictures throughout the process.
Aluminess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Sounds to me like they're only interested in making them for one client, not for mass market resale.

Once we design a bumper for a vehicle we keep all of our engineering documents to duplicate the product for anyone else that might want one. As soon as we have them built and are happy with the product we will offer it to anyone that might want one.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First- I love your products
Second any vanagon 2wd or syncro will do unless you are planning on tying into the front subframe somehow which would really affect the approach angle.
I would let you borrow my truck but I am waaay to far away.
Good luck.
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a small discount involved for someone who is willing to leave his Symcro at your shop for a few days? Wink wink nudge nudge.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm way north of SD but I'm in the market looking for bumpers and really like your products. Please keep us posted.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Aluminess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:
Is there a small discount involved for someone who is willing to leave his Symcro at your shop for a few days? Wink wink nudge nudge.

We would be happy to offer you a discount for letting us use your vehicle for a few days. Send me a PM, or e-mail [email protected], or give us a call 619-449-9930 to get the ball rolling.

Thanks!
Aluminess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
First- I love your products
Second any vanagon 2wd or syncro will do unless you are planning on tying into the front subframe somehow which would really affect the approach angle.
I would let you borrow my truck but I am waaay to far away.
Good luck.

Thank you for the useful info. I am just starting to learn about these Vanagons and don't know all the terminology or nuances yet.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when someone drops off their van and you guys get the bumpers made and mounted, make sure you post some pics. I looked over your website and like your work. try to keep it affordable for all. Maybe incorporate lights into it like the others. (hint hint)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aluminess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep everyone updated, we are still on the lookout for a Vanagon that we can develop the bumpers off of. We have had a few inquiries, but nobody has been able to make it into our shop yet. If anyone knows anybody in the San Diego area that would be willing to let us use their Vanagon please have them contact us.
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Big Red (my Syncro) is the weiner. I'll let you all know how it all looks. I'm kinda stoked. Having a locally sourced bumper available down the road would be rad.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I am glad that someone stepped up so that we can see what Aluminess has to offer for our vans.
Approach/departure angle is a stumbling block for the current bumper offerings.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really awesome. I am psyched that there is another contender for the bumpers, I have been looking at some but want the perfect one. I can't wait to see the final product. Also a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier on the driver side that doesn't mount to the body would be awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aluminess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
Really awesome. I am psyched that there is another contender for the bumpers, I have been looking at some but want the perfect one. I can't wait to see the final product. Also a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier on the driver side that doesn't mount to the body would be awesome.

This brings up a great topic. What is everyone looking for in a front and rear bumper for their Vanagons? We probably can't fulfill every request, but if there is a consensus as to what everyone is looking for then we have a lot better chance of making a product that will work for everyone.

What do you want to carry on the rear bumper? What tire size? Any fuel or generators, etc? What kind of winch do you use in the front bumper?

If there are any other products that people are interested in we might as well look into it while we have a Vanagon here. Is there a giant need for ladders or roof racks or anything else like that?

Thanks again for everyones help and support. We are looking forward to providing some quality light weight products to the Vanagon community.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think simple is the key. The lines of the Gowesty bumpers match the van really well but the spare tire carrier they have offered could use some beefing up and there are not a lot of add on options. I think a rear bumper that could hold two jerry cans would be awesome I don't really like the thought of them bouncing up and down on a swing out. Tube bumpers just seem so 80's and dated to me. To each their own.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:

X2...and light!
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminess wrote:

What do you want to carry on the rear bumper? What tire size? Any fuel or generators, etc? What kind of winch do you use in the front bumper?

If there are any other products that people are interested in we might as well look into it while we have a Vanagon here. Is there a giant need for ladders or roof racks or anything else like that?

What i'd truly love is to mount one of you nirftu rear boxes(galley, deluxe or Jerry can box) mostly to transport tools and spare parts (inside storage is very scarce with 2 kids).

In fact, im very tempted to buy the RMW swing shelf (already have their rear bumper and tire carrier) and tr to see if I can adapt one of your boxes - anubody done that?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you just create a vanagon version of the van bumpers you currently make you'll have a winner. Dual swingouts, integrated backup and fog lights, and lower grill/bullbar just like you already have for full size vans.

Just make sure to bolt the front bumper to the frame (my gowesty bumper does not!) and please do not sacrifice approach/departure angles!

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, Volks, while these bumpers may indeed be Truly Amazing, I suggest you have a look at the prices before you get to excited.

(IMHO, if I had a spare $4K for van bling, bumpers would be pretty far down the list.)

Maybe they are made of titanium instead of aluminum.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aluminess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Uh, Volks, while these bumpers may indeed be Truly Amazing, I suggest you have a look at the prices before you get to excited.

(IMHO, if I had a spare $4K for van bling, bumpers would be pretty far down the list.)

Maybe they are made of titanium instead of aluminum.

-CJ

I won't try and say that our products aren't expensive, because they are compared to other products on the market right now. Not only is the price of aluminum much more expensive than steel, but also the welding materials needed to put everything together.

We also do not skimp when it comes to engineering our products. We make sure that our bumpers are winch capable and can plow through deer without worrying about the bumper failing.

All this being said, we are going to try to price these bumpers around the same price as our small pickup bumpers. $1250 for the front and $1100 for the rear (without any tire or fuel carriers). This is our target price, if we find that we can offer it for less than we will, but at the same time if materials and labor end up being higher than we expected then it might cost a bit more.

On a side note, our customer who has a deposit in with us is putting these bumpers on a Canadian Doka. From the research and pictures that I have seen it looks like the Doka bumpers are slightly different than the regular Vanagon bumpers. So if anyone in San Diego has Doka, preferably a Canadian version then we would love to hear from you.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a set of Aluminess bumpers on my 4x4 ford econoline, granted i got them used from a poor soul who needed to liquidate which made the purchase easier, but i can speak for the top notch quality, stack of dimes welds, and ultra lieghtweight for the size they are. i actually mounted them by myself no problem.

I also know someone who hit a deer with a set, no damage resulted. im VERY happy with the product.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: