Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Formula Vee in western NC
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwalters1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Formula Vee in western NC Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just hoping somebody might possibly be able to help me out. I know it's a LONG shot, but never know if you don't try!

I'm trying to find a VW my granddad owned when I was a kid. I think he got it sometime in the late '70s and had it until the late '80s or early '90s.

I'm pretty sure it was a 1970 with the Formula Vee options on it. He seems to think it was a '69, but I don't think so.

My granddad's name is Roy Walters. He live here in Morganton, NC and sold the VW to someone in Lenoir, NC.

I've tried to find the VIN on old insurance papers, tax bills, maintenance records, etc. Also tried the local tax office and the state DMV. The DMV said they could only look up records by name going back to 1998.

I'd really like to find this VW and figured this site would be my last chance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I know it doesn't help any, but here is the only photo I have of the VW:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965 VW Beetle
1973 VW Beetle (Standard)
1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you both may be right- as many folks who bought a car one year always thinks of it as that model year of car- it certainly looks like a '70 but may have been purchased in the fall of '69. It's been updated or repaired with a 4 slot decklid from a '73^ car (so this may help spotters). Good luck! It's a way-too popular color.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Herrod Helper on the rear of that.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
dwalters1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Is that a Herrod Helper on the rear of that.

It sure looks like it. Unfortunately I was too young to remember for sure and so far I haven't been able to find any other pictures of it. But I do remember the walnut steering wheel and shifter knob.

I'm not giving up on finding it yet! Still hoping to run across a document somewhere with the VIN or something.

Or maybe the current owner is a member of The Samba and will see this post.

1965 VW Beetle
1973 VW Beetle (Standard)
1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 4 vent deck lid it would be a 72 if original. 71's had a 2 vent lid, 69 had none and Im not sure if 70 had 2 vents or not

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: