Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I was just getting ready to contact a local guy on getting a run of tins pressed. Due to the shortage and price inflation of T-4 parts I hope this thread gets sticky status. It is not a "hack" once the OG parts have dried up and owners would appreciate the quick access of a sticky.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

I hope this thread gets sticky status.
It is in FAQ's
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Here's the CIP offering from thier Canadian site (US likely similar): http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D198%2D525%2DKIT
Looks like steel, but no bar included that I can see.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Here's the CIP offering from thier Canadian site (US likely similar): http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D198%2D525%2DKIT
Looks like steel, but no bar included that I can see.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-198-525-KIT

on the us site now looks metal.

I can see the prices of late bays going up now as I type this. no motor no problem now. i think this will be a complete game changer. now if someone would just make the bar. i don't think they will be a big deal for someone to make at all.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
Now if someone would just make the bar.

You don't need a custom bar, just custom brackets. This is mine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I made them about 30 years ago when I put a 1600 into my first '72. Who knows how many miles I put on them with that bus. I now have them on my 2nd conversion with 42'000 more miles on them. They are not hard to make, trust me, I'm no master craftsman.
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

patrickisrad wrote:
67sash wrote:

The first few pieces arriving to put my 1776 in my 73' Have the mustache bar, and am thinking of just fabbing up the hangers. I thought I'd share a picture of these tins.

Ryan

Hey Ryan!
where did you score these tins? looks like they're exactly what i need. I have a '72 bus with a type 1 engine already installed, but a huge gap around the engine. the squared off piece looks perfect.

Thanks!
Patrick

I got them at www.vwheritage.com/
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, been in Mexico for the last 2 weeks. The link above is where I got them, and the fiberglass ones in the other link shared are no longer manufactured. I paid roughly $180 for the tins and $180 to ship them to Portland. They are of very high quality and am very pleased with the tins. I am currently moving forward without a mustache bar set up, but when the parts come across my path I will purchase them and install them.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
Now if someone would just make the bar.
[/quote]

I'll build it. At my labor rate, plus materials, you're looking at a $600 bar. See the problem here?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Here are the tins installed. Only had to correct a few issues as far as the tins go. Other than that I am pleased with the purchase. The motor is running strong, but not a complete install yet. Oil cooler, fan, remote oil filter, CHT set up, and hooking up the vacuum for the brake booster are still on the list. Lastly some brackets to utilize my late bay mustache bar.
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone know where is can get this type of bracket ?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Any VW parts supplier will have them, here's one for example: https://www2.cip1.com/searchresults.asp?Search=engine+mount+adapter

* whoever installed the one in the pic has the filler plate on the wrong side of the adapter, it goes between the adapter and the pump cover. *

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ricobiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

pm me I have one I can sell you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

I got all the tin and adapter from cip1, where are these brackets made, or are they fabricated/custom made?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

bugbenginer wrote:
I got all the tin and adapter from cip1, where are these brackets made, or are they fabricated/custom made?

[pic]

Custom made.

Слава Україні!
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

You guys think there is enough of a demand for the adaptor bar? I’ve seen them and it would be fairly straightforward to make. Likewise I could also make adaptor plates like babysnakes did as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Don't know, apparently bugbenginer needs some end mounts at the very least. Early bars are challenging but not impossible to find, adapter mounts like in the pic would make it almost a "bolt in" job for a not too mechanically inclined person since the rest of the stuff is already available. Type 4 bars are much easier to find, but I've never mocked one up to see if there's room for rubber mounts in the middle at the case (Vanagon WBX mounts maybe?).

Is it worth the asspain to engineer and sell at a worthwhile price?, keep in mind many who choose this conversion are cheapskates who want to get the bus on the road for the minimum $, sure there's a few who are serious and willing to pay, but don't get your hopes up that they will be flying off the shelves.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Looking at the fiche, there is a hanger on each side, rubber engine mounts on each side, and then the bar set up to take the upright 1600 engine. Several places in Europe were selling the brackets and the rubber isolators/mounts but all those parts seem to be on back order or out of stock. I could not find anyone selling the bar by itself, or a kit of all the parts.

I would think that if someone wanted a setup like that the first thing they would do is talk with someone in Europe, maybe Jeff at BusOk, or one of the British Bus restoration shops, or several Samba members over there, to see where the wrecking yards are in Europe that stock 70's VW bus parts. Almost every bus made for sale in Europe from 1972 to 1979 had one of those bar setups. Someone in the UK, Denmark or Germany should have a warehouse full of them lying around. Same might be true for Australia.

edit: CoolAirVWParts in the UK sells most of the parts needed for that mount conversion. They may know who has the bars too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

I probed multiple sources in Europe 10 or 15 years ago and aside from the rubber mounts the rest of the stuff (bars and hanger brackets) was harder than finding good type 4 parts here, maybe things have changed?

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I probed multiple sources in Europe 10 or 15 years ago and aside from the rubber mounts the rest of the stuff (bars and hanger brackets) was harder than finding good type 4 parts here, maybe things have changed?

There are so many T4 bars for sale that someone should be able to set up a jig and modify them for T1. The only question I have is that to do it right would take the time to build the two ears, set it up in a jig, weld them and drill and reinforce the 3rd hole. That might take an hour's work to clean, prep and weld then paint, package and ship. That tells me one is looking at a $130 wholesale part plus the necessary rubber mounts and brackets - so maybe a $200 - $250 conversion kit. I just don't know how many people here would pay that plus the cost of the conversion tin. The brackets in the photo could be produced commercially so they are reinforced not to break but again by the time the work is done a kit might cost the same. There would not be enough quantity needed to mass produce them. I ran into this the other day thinking about replacement shields on F-pipes and U-pipes. With molds one could make a crimp on set lined with header tape and sell it for $20 wholesale. But the stamping molds would probably cost $40,000 and there is no market for enough to offset the cost.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
but don't get your hopes up that they will be flying off the shelves.

Im not looking to be getting rich off them by any means lol...just that someone went through the trouble to start repoping the tin so it just got me thinking is all....is there enough of a demand for the mount bars? Creating a jig to mass produce the bar(s) wouldn’t be overly difficult as we currently mass produce other more difficult items for other vehicle restorations.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: