Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

I would be interested in the mounts, I bought a bus that already had the covers in. And it runs amazing but didn’t have the support bracket or engine tin so I’m just doing that kind of stuff. Didn’t want to convert it back to a type 4.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Hypothetically speaking, could the T1 doghouse fan shroud be removed in situ with a late bay access hatch? All the late T1 buses I work on are Euro-spec sans hatch……

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Intriguing hypothesis, you'd have to try shoving a shroud through a hatch, it may not be wide enough to let the shroud rise high enough to clear the oil cooler. Next time I'n near both of those parts I'll see if it fits.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Would there be a huge difference in what carb is ran on a 1500 or 1600 engine with the mid conversion? Would it really matter that much weather it’s a 34 or a 31?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Intriguing hypothesis, you'd have to try shoving a shroud through a hatch, it may not be wide enough to let the shroud rise high enough to clear the oil cooler. Next time I'n near both of those parts I'll see if it fits.

Ha! I almost took a bath on a client when I told him I could assist with a project that required lifting the shroud. His "79 bus with a beetle engine" turned out to be a hyper low-milage Swiss Army bus with the original T1 engine and all the OG doodads but no hatch. Couldn't lift the shroud there, but one could theoretically get as far as the crankshaft with an ATV jack and Muir's Phase I tool kit without jacking up the car or taking the engine out from underneath the car… That W I D E rear tin sure frees things up to move about the compartment…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Little help, my type 1 engine in my 75 doesn’t have any wires on the top right stud, what should go here?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

A fairly large red wire with ring terminals on each end. The other end goes to your starter where it junctions to the battery positive. You could just go to the battery but it’s not as clean of an installation
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, could the T1 doghouse fan shroud be removed in situ with a late bay access hatch? All the late T1 buses I work on are Euro-spec sans hatch……

Robbie
I pulled the shroud from my '72 (1600 upright) to replace the alternator. I am running 34ICTs. It was a PITA but got it done.
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

So, I know I should have a 7/71 accelerator cable, but I don’t it’s still the FI cable that was there and the previous owner ran it that way. Will the 70/71 bus cable work through the stock 75 tube all the way back to the carb and clip on the pedal assembly perfectly, or will I have to modify a new way to hook the cable up?
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Fresh 1600 with 002 ready for installation into a '72

Don't forget your T-4 foam seal.

It was cool seeing my mustache bar. Very Happy

Do these 2 tin pieces only replace the front and real tin pieces or are there more that isn’t needed anymore because of these 2 tin pieces?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

The front one replaces the beetle style one over the bellhousing, the rear one connects to your existing breast plate.

As for throttle cables I doubt either option will fit perfectly, try the 71 version, it's likely very close.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Not sure if this belongs here, or maybe in the 'Hall of Shame' thread, but this is a pretty 'interesting' upright engine in a late Bus. This seems to have been a running and driving engine in the vehicle - until it stopped running maybe. Not sure on the whole story behind it but I wish there were more photos.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

I’d give that engine about 60 minutes of run time before it craps
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

Smile , well........., technically if you never stop moving.................., maybe a little like that bus in the movie Speed! Very Happy

I'm posting it in the engine abortion thread if you haven't already Razz

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

I didn't know there was such a thing but yes post, it's worthy of that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
I didn't know there was such a thing but yes post, it's worthy of that.

Definitely, but upon closer inspection it's a type 4, not that it makes any difference in this case. here's the thread, as the title states "come see the horror" Wink https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9402166#9402166

Слава Україні!
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

It is good to see this thread back moving.

An update on my 1776 type 1 in my 73 Hightop. We have just recently completed about 12,000 miles since the motor was installed. Still running NO mustache bar. The motor has been amazing and taken us on numerous adventures! The smokey mountains in just over a week. I am really happy I didn't overthink this transplant and use real-life examples to guide versus opinions. I am not against the mustache bar modification and fitting, I just spend my free time driving the bus and using it rather than it sitting. Baja guys have hung their motors.....forever it seems.

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

I think a lot more folks are going to be doing this conversion in 10-15 years with the way good type4 parts are going.

I personally dont really care too much what engine is in my bus as long as it makes decent power and can take me where I want to go. I dont really need to get 100K between rebuilds. 50-60k is just fine by me.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

First time reading this, lol, I brought back the tins from Mexico,( on an airplane no less, goofy souvenir, got lots of strange looks!) in the late 80s, always figured on putting a T1 in a later bus, but the tins used the T1 rear breast plate as I recall it wasn't part of the conversion plate, Mexico didn't use the T4 engine, we rented them several times while there, there was always 6 or more of us and they were the best deal, we drove them to all the ruins.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ Reply with quote

67sash wrote:
We have just recently completed about 12,000 miles since the motor was installed. Still running NO mustache bar.

Thanks for the update, nothing beats real world testing. Good to know you can get away without it if you choose that route. Myself I'll still put one in just because VW thought it needed it.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: