Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which swing-away tire carrier?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I hate rattling.

good point
The Burley latch ramp is definitely less rattle prone than the Gary Lee latch. The Burley ramp basically puts a bind on the hinges to stop any play.

The RMW latch has an adjustable stop, so it is better than the Gary Lee in terms of being able to stop it from rattling.

To me, the Heim joints of the Gary Lee and the RMW, are more elegant and more refined than the fat poly bushings on the Burley rack.

I agree all 3 options are effective for their intended purposes.

The Gary Lee being the most expensive by far, it uses Heim joints.

The Burley is next most expensive, no Heim joints. (originally the Burley was built to be the lowest cost, below $400, since raised to 675)

The RMW is the lowest cost of the 3, (and imo the best because of the adjustable latch rattle stop, and the ability to lock the open carrier in place in line with the vehicle)
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

To me, the Heim joints of the Gary Lee and the RMW, are more elegant and more refined than the fat poly bushings on the Burley rack.

elegance is in the eye of the beholder... Wink

RMW's
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Burley's

Regardless if a heim joint is used.. the elegance of the hinge is in the clean lines... Razz
Burley's got a damn nice looking hinge assembly there.

The weak point in the design (functionally and structurally) is the pin for holding it open. He has talked about using a different approach.. but mine was one of the protos.. so I don't know how he's doing it these days.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these designs are pleasing to the eye - but none met my personal needs: a stronger bumper than anything on the market, on which the tire swings are mounted securely, no additional holes drilled into the body. But a step further: tire swings that pivot away without the need to clear anything that might be mounted to the hitch. This is the prototype I made to test on my personal Syncro.

(some of you might notice a mistake the welder made - no time to fix it now, will deal with it later)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very interesting! As I too tow.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
This is the prototype I made to test on my personal Syncro.

Nice addition to the product choices out there!

Whats your target price for the assembly?

Quote:

some of you might notice a mistake the welder made - no time to fix it now, will deal with it later

I don't know if its what you are referring to.. but the post for the tire mount partially obscures the tailights.

FWIW, my burley rack clears my hitch mount accessories, including a trailer.
The only potential problem is if I use a hitch mounted box.. but that would have to be on a tilt down anyway.. to access rear hatch.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
westyventures wrote:
This is the prototype I made to test on my personal Syncro.

Nice addition to the product choices out there!

Whats your target price for the assembly?

Quote:

some of you might notice a mistake the welder made - no time to fix it now, will deal with it later

I don't know if its what you are referring to.. but the post for the tire mount partially obscures the tailights.

FWIW, my burley rack clears my hitch mount accessories, including a trailer.
The only potential problem is if I use a hitch mounted box.. but that would have to be on a tilt down anyway.. to access rear hatch.

I have no plans to reproduce these, just posted to show a 'different' way. Yes, he welded all the tabs for mounting the swings an inch too far to the ends of the bumper, partially obscuring the brake lights. No time to correct it now, will do so when the van is apart for paint next year. I use a hitch-mount bike rack - perhaps some other swings would clear but they all bolt through the van body (except one flimsy option I won't mention).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, that is really a nice design. I would just put in a 3rd brake light and be done with it. OR, do a 3rd and fourth brake light... Put one up top, and then if you have your van wired for trailer towing, put lights on your hitch rack like its a trailer and plug them into your harness. You can never be too safe with brake lights.

but again, that is a very nice bumper and swing away tire carrier. do you carry 2 spares?
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brungeman wrote:
Karl, that is really a nice design. I would just put in a 3rd brake light and be done with it. OR, do a 3rd and fourth brake light... Put one up top, and then if you have your van wired for trailer towing, put lights on your hitch rack like its a trailer and plug them into your harness. You can never be too safe with brake lights.

but again, that is a very nice bumper and swing away tire carrier. do you carry 2 spares?

Actually, I've already installed a third brake light from a Jetta IV mounted under the rear cabinet. Turned out very nice and bright. The main brake lights are still fine, just annoying that the edge of the upright crosses right over the end of the lights. I wanted to set it up for two spares as my plans are (were?) to do S. America at some point soon.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Karl, I really like how your new van is turning out. Make sure you figure out a way to carry your snowboard back there Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

Actually, I've already installed a third brake light from a Jetta IV mounted under the rear cabinet. Turned out very nice and bright. The main brake lights are still fine, just annoying that the edge of the upright crosses right over the end of the lights. I wanted to set it up for two spares as my plans are (were?) to do S. America at some point soon.

Thats great. I did a 3rd brake light on the face of that back "shelf" of the AC bulkhead. It turned out great as well, but I have tint now and it shows up slightly dimmer now to the viewing public.

I have been told by one shop that they wouldn't inspect my vehicle because of my Thule T2 hitch mount rack. They said it obstructed the view of the brake lights. I took it off and they threw stickers on. I have been planning on wiring this thing with small LED trailer type lights and running the wiring through the hitch so it would be pretty much invisible. I have trailer wiring harnesses on all my vehicles I use this rack on. so it would be pretty easy.

where in S.America? going surfing? or just getting your Westy some sun?
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
mutantfab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do a majority of the commercial tire racks attach to the body below the rear door instead of on the rear door itself?

Brian
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutantfab wrote:
Why do a majority of the commercial tire racks attach to the body below the rear door instead of on the rear door itself?

Brian

The spot below the hatch is a structurally stronger place to mount it.

The rear hatch is on two hinges and a latch mehcanism.. The rear hatch can move and flex. In fact it is desgined to "adjust" much like your car doors, so that it closes properly and seals properly.
If you hang stuff on the door (and yeah, I know people do it) it can cause problems.

Imagine driving over 60 miles of washboard to a Baja beach... with a carrier mounted to the body and hatch together.
Its gonna take a toll on the latch and hinges.

Its also more "out of the way" down there by the license plate.. Doesn't stick out and catch on stuff.

Just had my passeneger side Burley swing away fine tuned last weekend.
Getting a few coats of magic paint and I'll post up some picks of the pair.. in action.

danfromsyr wrote:
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have no plans to reproduce these, just posted to show a 'different' way. Yes, he welded all the tabs for mounting the swings an inch too far to the ends of the bumper, partially obscuring the brake lights. No time to correct it now, will do so when the van is apart for paint next year. I use a hitch-mount bike rack - perhaps some other swings would clear but they all bolt through the van body (except one flimsy option I won't mention).

Thats too bad Karl-I too want a structurally robust rear bumper solution for my 2WD and am really digging your bumper. I hope to get some time in Alaric's garage next spring and hopefully, if your still in the area, see it in person.
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Some of these designs are pleasing to the eye - but none met my personal needs: a stronger bumper than anything on the market, on which the tire swings are mounted securely, no additional holes drilled into the body. But a step further: tire swings that pivot away without the need to clear anything that might be mounted to the hitch. This is the prototype I made to test on my personal Syncro.

(some of you might notice a mistake the welder made - no time to fix it now, will deal with it later)

What rims/tires are those? Me likey

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South African 'Carat 2'. No longer available. Sad
maxdefied
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Burley's carrier but the RMW is SWEEEEEEET and I love it!
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have anyone use this:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Stromberg-Carlson/TR-2.html

The PO put on a C channel steel rear bumper and i think it would work and way cheaper($30) than other method. I probably will bolt it on first and find a position i like and either have it weld on or bolt on to the bumper. It looks like it will be pretty low compare to other setup.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:
Have anyone use this:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Stromberg-Carlson/TR-2.html

The PO put on a C channel steel rear bumper and i think it would work and way cheaper($30) than other method. I probably will bolt it on first and find a position i like and either have it weld on or bolt on to the bumper. It looks like it will be pretty low compare to other setup.

Don't forget you still have to open the hatch!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will you open the rear hatch with that carrier and tire welded in place?
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it folds down, click on the link and you will see it fold to 90 degree. You can barely see the hitch pin on that pic.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: