Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which swing-away tire carrier?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting option.
People like swing out tire carriers because they are easy to open and close and they don't obstruct the tail lights or the license plate along with being high enough to not get damaged on trail use.
It looks like that option might not fill those needs but it sure does hit a sweet price point.
Good luck
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Karl...
What's that black port on the tailgate to the left of your license plate? 12v?
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female 4 post trailer wiring connector?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at the RMW and the GW tire mounting options. I am concerned that the amount of offroad I drive is going to rattle the heck out of either. Does anyone have experience with say the RMW or the GW during prolonged washboard/rocks? Do they loosen up over time (lots of bolts on the GW system) do rub or fatigue points develop on the body?

-Brian
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentina and back with RMW 2009 version tire carrier. Many miles of rough roads. No problems with latch, I never had to adjust it. One of the welds at the gate hinge had to be redone, it was a minor fix.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1093751.jpg
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:
Have anyone use this:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Stromberg-Carlson/TR-2.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The problem I perceive with it is that it is not easily removable and would certainly be aggravating when having to load something bulky in back or work on the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: My dream swing-away spare carrier… Reply with quote

I have slightly alternative design in mind for a swing spare carrier. This likely will not have mass-market appeal. I don’t always carry a spare, but when I do I would like to limit interference with my hitch bike rack and trailer. I also think this would look cool (vs. a vertically mount tire).

Here’s the concept:
1. Swing arm would be mounted higher up than usual, so that the wheel/tire would be resting at the angle of the rear window. It would certainly block much of the view out of the window...not my concern.
2. The arm would have a connection point (or latch mechanism Like burley’s or RMW), that extended down below the glass to a plate that was attached to the hatch. Maybe a latch needed, maybe just a foot with rubber stopper. Could also connect/rest on the metal above the window too. But the swing arm and tire would not rest against the window at all.
3. The lower arm/hinge might have a catch mechanism like this aftermarket Rover product. Given that swinging the angled tire up and out would be significantly heavier than when mounted vertically, a one-handed latch to lock it in the up position would be important.
4. If the swing arm could be removed with a couple cotter pins, that would be nice-to-have, but not critical.

So...anyone ever tried mounting a spare swing that rests at an angle up high behind the rear window? Execution ideas? Complications? Opinions? ...don't hold back, you can't hurt my feelings.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the GoWesty ones are now on sale for August I went ahead and ordered two of theirs.

not a bad savings on the swing arms and the extra tire and tray mounts for it.
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farf wrote:
Argentina and back with RMW 2009 version tire carrier. Many miles of rough roads. No problems with latch, I never had to adjust it. One of the welds at the gate hinge had to be redone, it was a minor fix.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1093751.jpg

Thanks thats good info! Anyone with the GW's rattle em hard?

-Brian
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My dream swing-away spare carrier… Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
I have slightly alternative design in mind for a swing spare carrier. This likely will not have mass-market appeal. I don’t always carry a spare, but when I do I would like to limit interference with my hitch bike rack and trailer. I also think this would look cool (vs. a vertically mounted tire).

One word of warning is that I have seen a syncro with 4 obvious dents on his rear hatch. I asked him where they came from and he told me he used to have an old gary lee rear hatch mounted rack that his spare tire was mounted to. He said that the weight of the just beat the rear hatch up while driving offroad. While offroading isn't your worry a 50+ pound spare tire in addition to the rack weight is more than the sheetmetal can handle without deflecting and causing damage over time.

It sounds like a interesting idea and i would like to see what you come up with.
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been hashed out in other threads in the past 2-3 years, but this one seems to be "the thread."

Is the RMW swing away system and the GoWesty system still both the best options?

I'm tired of lugging around my spare inside the van.

RMW has the option that mounts to the van, which I'm never wild about drilling the van. But its less than $500.

The Go Westy swing away option looks pretty slick, but its much more of an investment just because you have to buy the bumper, then the swing away, then the spare tire carrier.

Any pro or cons to either?

I'm leaning towards the GW system, I can get the whole shebang for around $1600 after shipping. Or I can get what I need for $500 from RMW. Obviously one day the I want to do the bumpers anyways. My current original chrome is a pretty sad sight.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

RMW or Burley. Similar design, built to last, proven.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

I spent a few weeks with my buddy who is driving his weekender to Argentina.
After Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaruagra his GW tire carrier and swing away fuel carrier was falling apart. Not surprising given the materials and methods of construction...

While we were in Costa Rica we fixed what we could before I left. Another buddy is with him right now welding up the fuel carrier after it fell off..

I have a RMW carrier on my syncro. Burley or RMW for this application.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Quote:
="goskiracer"
After Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaruagra his GW tire carrier and swing away fuel carrier was falling apart. Not surprising given the materials and methods of construction...

It's funny you say that because I have seen several installs of the gowesty swing arms and they just look like they are meant for Southern California surfing and not hardcore off-roading. Several people have broken their swing arms on rough roads with weight on them.

I have the RMW swing arms with an aluminess box on mine, the one thing I have noticed that I don't like at all is how much the body flexes with the weight on it. To the point it could bend the body and cause some creases

If I could have it all, I would have a very strong bumper, with a vertical riser built into the frame of the bumper, not bolted to the outside with the RMW heim joints and the solid locking mechanism, not a latch that just pulls the swing arm against the bumper. That way it's not hanging on the body, but it's purpose built into the frame of the bumper.

A boy can only dream... Laughing plans are in the works to do just that
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-Rear-Stinger-Tire-Carrier-s/53.htm

Poison Spyder products
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

The Burley one is on my wish list - tax refund time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Really love my RMW rear tire carrier! Just ordered today a LED flood to mount to it and use as my high powered back up light.
Just like Mr Hogue's!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to update this thread with my own experience with the RMW swing away tire carrier with folding shelf.

This product, in my opinion, is a great compromise for those who want versatility for carrying objects outside the van, but don't want to use the luggage rack above the cab or use a hitch-mounted basket.

My swing-away shelf was bought with three primary uses in mind:

1. to carry spare fuel/water cans on backcountry trips;
2. to carry a grill or firewood outside of the van;
3. to be used as a work surface adjacent to my Magma grill, which mounts on the passenger rear quarter panel below the D pillar.

The fuel/water cans I use are the modern, plastic variety offered by Scepter or LCI, but are the same size as the old metal NATO fuel cans that have been used for over 70 years in the armies of western nations. It should be noted that these standardized fuel/water cans also fit neatly in the Vanagon Westfalia over-the-cab luggage rack, so for Westy owners the van comes ready to carry fuel/water over the cab... but who wants to haul it up there? Or raise their center of gravity? This is one of many reasons why folks buy the swing-away shelf kits.

I had a sailmaker fabricate two webbing cages with D rings for harnessing two fuel/water cans in each cage to the shelf. The cages have a little velcro on the side to attach to the heavy vinyl covers that slip over them. The covers are there to make the fuel/water cans more inconspicuous, to deter theft, and to keep the cans out of direct sunlight. The covers are proven in the sailmaker's experience to resist sunlight and tolerate the wind buffeting they will receive from being on the back of a moving vehicle. Lastly, there is a vinyl coated steel cable and padlock as a final theft deterrent. If folks really want to take the fuel, they will find a way to take it, but these precautions will deter the honest, the mostly honest, and the lazy.

The shelf is down, loaded with two cans, strapped, covered, and locked with cable and padlock.

Padlock, cable, and cover removed showing webbing cage and straps.

Straps removed, which better shows the design of the webbing cage.

The design of the shelf, and its unique folding quality, put limitations on securely strapping the load. In that regard I admire the Burley rack in that its steel basket (but non-folding) design offers a great deal more security for the fluid load it is designed to carry... and yet I didn't want a carrier that was always "open and out there" as the Burley design is. The RMW carrier, with careful strapping, is a good compromise.

I have heard rumors, perhaps just speculation, that the fully loaded shelf, with four full fuel/water cans (around 150 pounds of liquid) might cause buckling in the D pillar sheet metal where the shelf attaches. These rumors are unsubstantiated at this time, as I have seen no actual evidence of this, and heard no definitive stories related to such an issue with the RMW swing-away shelf (there is one mention in a post above). Whether closed or open, I have no doubt this shelf can carry the 150 pound load. The design of the kit, with its heim joints and substantial backing plate inside the D pillar (essentially sandwiching the D pillar sheet metal for the length of the mounting plate, thus distributing the load of the carrier over a great surface area), gives me great confidence in its long term ability to meet my hauling demands.

There are other off-the-shelf ways to strap loads in this carrier. One of the best methods is to use the Safari Straps 1" Polyester Cargo Net. I have one of these cargo nets and they are great for strapping down irregular loads like firewood or propane tanks.

This image isn't mine, but it illustrates one of my intended uses. I have this same Magma grill setup, and the swing-away shelf makes an excellent work surface when grilling. I proved this last weekend at a roller derby match, where we were tailgating and I fed twenty grilled bratwurst to twenty hungry roller derby women. Life is good, especially with mustard and sauerkraut.

I hope this post has been informative.

kourt
eruiz91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am looking to buy a swing away system for my 16 inch spare wheel in the very near future. I’ve been looking at the Rocky Mountain Westy swing away arm that attaches directly to the vanagon’s body and the GoWesty system that mounts to their steel bumper. I’m looking for some recent opinions about these two products and what people’s experiences have been with them. What do you like or dislike about them? Are there any problems with mounting the swing arm directly to the van? Were they difficult to install? Are there any other quality options for swing away arm products?

Thanks!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Since my last post above I've put another 30,000 miles on the van, in numerous trips to the western states with fuel and propane loaded in the rack. It still performs as well as day one, and there have been no real problems.

I did have to replace some non-stainless fasteners with stainless.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: