Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which swing-away tire carrier?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

eruiz91 wrote:

I am looking to buy a swing away system for my 16 inch spare wheel

I went with the Burley for the same reason.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had earlier installed the Burley trailer hitch so I could maintain the looks of my 88's fiberglass bumper.

I didnt like the fact that the GW requires their bumper, and I love my Burley trailer hitch.

The installation was a bit difficult because of working in the confined space of the D pillar, but the fit of the parts was great and the installation was straightforward. It's a solid carrier. The hitch and carrier have made me a devoted Burley fan.
eruiz91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Since my last post above I've put another 30,000 miles on the van, in numerous trips to the western states with fuel and propane loaded in the rack. It still performs as well as day one, and there have been no real problems.

I did have to replace some non-stainless fasteners with stainless.

kourt

Thanks Kourt! Which fasteners did you have to replace?
rontv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Hi all,

interesting thread, as im considering swing arms too

at the moment i have my home made build rack but im not happy with the weight of the one long swingarm when you want to open it up
and overall weight of the structure feels a bit too high, although i have no clue on the weight of all these solution shown

would be interesting of this coukd be shared
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

rontv wrote:
Hi all,

interesting thread, as im considering swing arms too

at the moment i have my home made build rack but im not happy with the weight of the one long swingarm when you want to open it up
and overall weight of the structure feels a bit too high, although i have no clue on the weight of all these solution shown

would be interesting of this coukd be shared

Good gravy, I hope you don't ever have to stop quickly with someone behind you. Shocked
Some people call him Maurice...
rontv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

It definitely looks like alot

but not more than what see of quy with double swingarms with sparewheels and lots of jerrycans an a box

but still im looking for something more simple
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

I think he's referring to the fact that you can't see your brake lights at all.
rontv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

A clamp on set and a trailer harness and you are all set

Very Happy
rontv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

I actually did Very Happy Very Happy

thx for the tip
jiperrault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Hey guys. We're contemplating a rear spare tire mount on our '91 Multivan/weekender.

Not to sound like the department of redundancy Dept., but how do theses holes in the sheet metal hold up after all this time with RMW/ Van Cafe spare tire mount, or is the jury still out ?
Any loss of strength in the sheet metal, rusted fastening points etc ?

I, like many others, are adverse to drilling holes in sheet metal, especially with our Van probably ending up in the Northeast in the future. But the design does look pretty well designed.

Has anyone attempted to mount a GoWesty bumper mounted swing arm to a RMW Twin Peaks bumper ?

Also, it looks as though Van Cafe has an stock location option too:
https://www.vancafe.com/SPTIRECARRIER-p/rmw-tc-spare.htm
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

^^^ Three years of carrying way too much stuff (far mor than a spare tire) and the racks and body are holding up just fine. I just took these pics and don't see any problems...

Too much stuff but the racks make it so easy to haul, swing open and open the hatch, etc. Recommended...

For a year or two I considered trying to mount the GW swing outs on the Twin Peaks bumper but didn't see an easy path. Plus, after seeing the GW swing outs Ikm not crazy about the design, fit and finish. FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
912 outlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

If u decide to go with go westy,only get this 1 ,i have the short 1 is garbage ,and wobbles too much.You will need to purchase there bumpers though,so the cost is kind of steep

SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

After months of consideration and countless hours reading all the associated threads..., we just went all in on the RMW bumpers front/back/tire carrier/full guard,and swing out for box. Just put the order in this morning. I too was concerned about drilling into the body but it just seemed like the best choice for our overland use. Stock 2.1L so as much as I love the westy world bumpers, too heavy. I've seen several GoWesty full systems loaded and just doesn't seem all that stable. RMW seems like a good middle ground. We will see!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

jmjardine wrote:
After months of consideration and countless hours reading all the associated threads..., we just went all in on the RMW bumpers front/back/tire carrier/full guard,and swing out for box. Just put the order in this morning. I too was concerned about drilling into the body but it just seemed like the best choice for our overland use. Stock 2.1L so as much as I love the westy world bumpers, too heavy. I've seen several GoWesty full systems loaded and just doesn't seem all that stable. RMW seems like a good middle ground. We will see!

I too did a lot of research on this and was very considerate of my decision. After months I finally decided on the RMW carrier and have been very pleased. Note the install takes longer than you think. It is tricky getting the holes all lined up. But once installed it is bomber. In the closed position, it doubles as a ladder to access the roof if needed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a well designed, well executed product. The packaging is very good. Here are the parts for two swingouts and two complete Switchback systems (the table i'd 4'x6').

These clamps helped...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

912 outlaw wrote:
If u decide to go with go westy,only get this 1 ,i have the short 1 is garbage ,and wobbles too much.You will need to purchase there bumpers though,so the cost is kind of steep

I have the short one with a full size spare and have not had any issues. It does have some movement, but can be tightened easily by twisting the latch, at least enough to be safe from hitting hatch.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback! I tend to way over-think these things so this forum is a major tool for me! Appreciate it.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Two is ALWAYS better than one... Wink

https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
Two is ALWAYS better than one... Wink

Thats a very cool rig!
vanhelper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

I think I will try WB Weld's product called SteelStik to fill the gaps between the Pathfinder hinges and the Vanagon body. That is after grinding the hinges to minimize the gaps. I will use non-stick paper between the body and the hinges to allow the carrier to be removed. I will probably use some double sided tape (like shadetreetim as I recall) between the outside of the body and the hinges when I finally install the carrier, just to provide some stick and a little cushioning. Hopefully I can scrape the tape off if needs be.

I will let you know how it turns out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: