Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which swing-away tire carrier?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another example of a Pathfinder rack
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3626536&highlight=pathfinder#3626536
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I agree a regular jack with 3 pieces of 2x4 stacked under it will allow me to lift my Van with 245x75x16 tires barely off the ground enough to change a tire, on pavement.

I also agree a HiLift Jack is a better option.. after you build a suitable kit that includes the needed Jack point adapter.

For winching with a High Lift you want the ORK kit from the HiLift company, and you need chain to use the HiLift as a winch.

A HiLift can also be mounted to the swing out tire carrier
Here is an example from Rocky Mountain Westy
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the now old version of GW swing away bumper. On our road trip it worked fine however there were some things that I did not like.

1. Both swing out arms, when loaded down, put some strain on the hinges, causing them to scrape the bottom locater tabs.

2. It is only connected through the 2'' receiver, there fore there is a little play in the connection. It wiggles a bit when you stand on it, not a big deal but a little annoying. And if you have one side weighted and nothing on the other, play in the 2'' reviver shows, tilting the carrier just slightly towards the weighted side.

3. Lastly, it is heavy causing the back of the van to sag a bit. Luckily I have leveling spacers so the van does not sag to bad.

Now there are some things that I do like about it.

1. There are no holes that you have to drill into the body work. This is a major plus for me.

2. All of that weight does add some protection if you were to be hit from behind, and it is detachable just in case you do want to take it off. However, who would ever do that. It looks to cool to take off.

3. Having a place out side the van that is not on top and hard to get to with out a small later or stool. You can easily store firewood, jerry cans or it can be used as a platform for your BBQ that is at the right height is nice!!

The bumper came with the van so I am not complaining, however if if could change something about it i would add beefier hinges, a better connection system to get rid of the wiggle in the 2'' reviver, and perhaps make it a bit lighter. I have the GW plated bumper, then the swing away is in addition to that. I am not sure you need all of that weight at the back of the van.
2doorsdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the breakdown on that bumper. I always wondered about it. They make anti rattle and hitch silencers you could possible add to your to stop the rattle. Search the web as there are a few different makers. I have had good luck with them in the past.
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up 2doorsdown. That will be something that I will address next week.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelB12 wrote:
goskiracer wrote:

Pathfinder rack. Total cost installed $98 It holds the tire on there and I've carried bikes using a Thule spare me.

As in Nissan Pathfinder??? You find that on Craigslist or something similar??

I have one of these, I picked up for $20 and a 12 pack of caffeinated water a few months back as a cost effective solution. When I got to see it, the thing is damn heavy, which concerns me in the mounting of the unit. (maybe I should weight it, for a comparison?)

I use my hatch, often, and would tend to believe that a large custom backing plate would be required down the entire rear panel to keep the pressure even and from really twisting up the sheet metal.

Closed, with all three mount points engaged, I am sure this thing would carry a bunch of weight.

Has not been a concern to make this work as my 2WD road queens tire fits in the stock location.

Other point is that the spare mount itself needs to be modified to accept a non Nissan bolt pattern.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I got to see it, the thing is damn heavy,

That is why I got rid of the one that I had before mounting it. The Gary Lee version is about 1/3 of the weight. All of that weight on the sheetmetal while bumping down the trails or washboards was a concern for me along with the ease of use for the prettier half. The pathfinder has a reinforcement plate to assist the sheetmetal where it is mounted.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
When I got to see it, the thing is damn heavy,

That is why I got rid of the one that I had before mounting it. The Gary Lee version is about 1/3 of the weight. All of that weight on the sheetmetal while bumping down the trails or washboards was a concern for me along with the ease of use for the prettier half. The pathfinder has a reinforcement plate to assist the sheetmetal where it is mounted.
Blue Bay Bus Thats why I got a Gary Lee, the mount is killer, why buy a part made in Japan for one of their cars when you can get one for our vans. If cost is that big of a problem what the heck are you driving a VW bus for, we all know they are not economically feasible to have, but what the heck we all love them so put the $ in them and keep them rolling . Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many folks don't like drilling their sheet metal for install. I don't have a problem with that personally, as long as the sheet metal is supported and bare metal treated to avoid rust issues down the line.

If you do go that route, it seems like one of the big differences between Gary Lee and the Burley racks is that Burley has a interior support plate to reinforce the sheet metal under load, while the Gary Lee has a long plate that goes the length of the inside of the hatch from top to bottom.

Anyone have opinions and/or experience with the pros and cons of those approaches?

Seems like an interior brace would be a really strong way to reinforce the load...
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Anyone have opinions and/or experience with the pros and cons of those approaches?

Seems like an interior brace would be a really strong way to reinforce the load...

The Burley rack uses a full length backing plate inside the pillar.. AND a full length plate with hinge brackets on the hatch side. 8 bolts sandwich these two plates together. You would have to rip the van to shreads, literally, for this thing to come off...

These are laser cut and an extremely good fit. See those notches? They are there for the little wedge form in the sheetmetal. Go check out your hatch area for it... No detail was missed.

There is a full write up on install..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464865&highlight=burley+tire+carrier

This rack is extroadinarily strong.. I have even "tested" it by climbing all 200 lbs of me onto it.
The only flex is in the lower hinge tabs when the rack is open.. and it is very slight.

Have driven on deep washboard and nary a movement out of it.
If you don't mind drilling holes.. this, or Gary Lee's, is the way to go.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
2doorsdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to think that GL has a backing plate as well for his swing away. Maybe I am mistaken...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2doorsdown wrote:
I seem to think that GL has a backing plate as well for his swing away.

It does.
timbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pix but............ I put a Pathfinder one onto my 88 GL. I sectioned it a footshorter and flipped it so it swings off the drivers side. Cut off the factory Nissan latch assembly and welded on 2 catches for slip pins with cotters to keep it snugged down. It sets the tire off center to the drivers side. No wiggling on washboards or gnarly roads, I use it as a step to get up onto my roof carriers, it's been un-expectly burly since putting it on last year. This winter plans are to attach a platform for a gas can and fasteners for a hi-lift jack.

Total cost :

carrier from wrecker $40
black tremclad $ 15 +/-
misc hardware $15 +/-
mig gas/wire $10+/-

I'm always budget minded...........and I don't charge myself for labor which saves money for local craft beer consumption !!! Very Happy -

tim
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you PLEASE post some detailed pics!
I plan on doing exactly the same thing very soon; would love (even more) details and fabrication ideas before I start on mine.

Thanks in advance.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:

We are going to add a new tire carrier mount to our product line that will enable our customers to use our tire carrier with the factory bumper. It will resemble the other styles that are currently available. It should be available in the next three to four weeks.

Thanks for all the support.

Mike

Mike, did this happen and I missed it? I don't see them on your website today.

For those with factory bumpers, I believe these are your options:

Pathfinder - >$100 - requires some metal fab work

Burley - $675

Gary Lee - $865.
I should note that Gary Lee has other choices. I just happened on the multi-purpose rack. -$355+$99 for the tire carrier + $20 for the lock = $474 and no drilling required. This does not swing-away though, so maybe it doesn't count.

Go Westy - $245+$100 accessory +$700 for new bumpers = $1045

Rocky Mtn Westy - $400+$1000 for Pikes Peak bumpers = $1400

VanCafe - $450+$980 for heavy duty bumpers = $1430

Please correct me if I am wrong, or left another choice out.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already designed my swingout, and am going into fab mode for a hitch mounted, removable double swingout specifically adapting to the hitch and rear D rings (for stability) intended for use with Pikes Peak RMW bumpers, one side will have tire/can/box shelf.. the other a ladder upright, Bike hangers, can/box shelf.. using high security locking hasp (no cheesy hasp/bail design) The thing which will set this apart, is that it will have a rear flat platform you can stow your gear on, disconnnecting skid w/plugin wheels to move your gear if camping away from the van, for outdoor seating, for sitting off the rear bumper (lady wants to sun herself), and the arms will lock in position while swung out. It will also be black texture powdercoated to match the RMW.

Definitely will be posting pictures, but I could be persuaded to build a couple. haha.

Last edited by dubbified on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

build it, post pics, and buyers will follow...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
build it, post pics, and buyers will follow...

Assuming it's reasonably priced, I agree. Some of the offerings are just stupid price. Mad

I picked up a carrier from a Bronco. Looks like it should work but will require some screwing around and fab.
Such a shame that it takes north of a grand for a bolt-on solution.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd152 wrote:
Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:

We are going to add a new tire carrier mount to our product line that will enable our customers to use our tire carrier with the factory bumper. It will resemble the other styles that are currently available. It should be available in the next three to four weeks.

Thanks for all the support.

Mike

Mike, did this happen and I missed it? I don't see them on your website today.

For those with factory bumpers, I believe these are your options:

Pathfinder - >$100 - requires some metal fab work

Burley - $675

Gary Lee - $865.
I should note that Gary Lee has other choices. I just happened on the multi-purpose rack. -$355+$99 for the tire carrier + $20 for the lock = $474 and no drilling required. This does not swing-away though, so maybe it doesn't count.

Go Westy - $245+$100 accessory +$700 for new bumpers = $1045

Rocky Mtn Westy - $400+$1000 for Pikes Peak bumpers = $1400

VanCafe - $450+$980 for heavy duty bumpers = $1430

Please correct me if I am wrong, or left another choice out.

Yup, We just got the production version back from the powder coater on Wednesday. We will have it on the site next week.

Thanks for the interst and the support.

Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:
Will you PLEASE post some detailed pics!
I plan on doing exactly the same thing very soon; would love (even more) details and fabrication ideas before I start on mine.

Thanks in advance.

I just completed installing a Pathfinder rack on my 89 and posted a few pictures on my buildthread during the process. Scroll about halfway down this page looking for my Feb 1, 2012 post where the install began.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467400&start=60

Good luck on your install zippyslug. It really is too easy.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Kombi Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made up a carrier. I used a bar that replaced the bumper. One side is a swing out jerry can holder other is wheel. Both use a stub axle and bearings for the pivot. They are held to the bar by an over center catch. I have not had any problems with this arrangement over the past five years and 200,000 kms.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: