Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which swing-away tire carrier?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanhelper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

I am trying to replicate the Pathfinder install. Maybe I can get some advice. I note that many mount the Pathfinder carrier with the top bar just below the bottom edge of the hatch window and it ends up pointing down slightly. I find, with my smaller diameter spare tire (Cooper Discoverer 205/65R15C), that I could mount it lower down, with the latch mounted to the hatch lining up with the very bottom edge of the hatch, while still not blocking the view of the license plate with the spare. Since the body quarter panel slopes out at the top hinge and in at the bottom hinge, this helps to level the carrier (and lower the CG of the carrier and spare). The main problem is that the gap along the top edge of the upper hinge increases and there is not enough meat to the top hinge to grind it to make a snug fit to the body over its full footprint. So I need something to fill the gap, something firm enough to take a compression and shear load. Any ideas? Maybe JB Weld? I could mold it with non-stick paper separating it from the body to keep it removable.

Also I am thinking I will make the backing plates linked together with angle iron or something so the lower one is easier to hold in place 'til I get the hinge bolts started. I can make the backing plate assembly using the carrier itself as a jig, off the van. If the backing plates match the carrier and the carrier is a good match to the body, then the backing plates should fit nicely inside. Again, any thoughts?

I will also add a short cable to prevent the carrier from swinging too far and denting the body at the hinge mounts.

Later.....
I think I will try WB Weld's product called SteelStik to fill the gaps between the Pathfinder hinges and the Vanagon body. That is after grinding the hinges to minimize the gaps. I will use non-stick paper between the body and the hinges to allow the carrier to be removed. I will probably use some double sided tape (like shadetreetim as I recall) between the outside of the body and the hinges when I finally install the carrier, just to provide some stick and a little cushioning. Hopefully I can scrape the tape off if needs be.

I will let you know how it turns out.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Any chance Burley will make them again? I'm in the market for a passenger-side swing . . . Sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Any chance Burley will make them again? I'm in the market for a passenger-side swing . . . Sad

I second that! I’m die’n for the passenger side. Group buy?

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Kfumer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which swing-away tire carrier? Reply with quote

bsrad wrote:
Corwyn wrote:

I second that! I’m die’n for the passenger side. Group buy?

I'd be down for a group buy if the option is still potentially there!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: