Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

strange relay undeer back seat
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: strange relay undeer back seat Reply with quote

I have a old relay under the back seat of my 69 type 1. Vw Part number is 311-963-141. All of the wires to the relay appear to be added by PO. I would think hard start relay but the wiring just does'nt seem right for the hard start relay diagrams I have seen posted. The relay has Four posts with one not used. I have lost all power to the ignition switch, lights,wipers and turn signals. It appears that one post on the relay is bad. If I take the wire from the bad post and add 12v to it then I have gen and oil lights but no start. Also with 12v to this wire the ignition switch key makes no difference if on or off. I don't see this relay in the wire diagrams.

Any ideas???????????????????
Thanks in advance
John
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the joys of ghetto po wiring hacks! sounds like it's time to start tracing wires. or give the po a call and ask.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the rear defrost relay. Which is under the rear seat on the left (driver's) side of the car and it's mounted the rear bulkhead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: strange relay under back seat Reply with quote

Glen,

That may be what this relay is as My car does have defroster in rear window.
Why would it be tied into the power for the ignition switch? I may be chaseing the wrong cause of my loss of power to everything. But if I add 12 v to the wire from the bad post I get power to the windshield wipers and the idot lights
Key on or not. Plus this relay is the only thing I played with(sure,right).
Thanks for the reply, this may get me on the reight track.

John
Nate_Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats where my defrost was, and there should be a little switch next to the fuse box that operates it...
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: strange relay undeer back seat Reply with quote

vwboat wrote:
I have a old relay under the back seat of my 69 type 1. Vw Part number is 311-963-141. All of the wires to the relay appear to be added by PO. I would think hard start relay but the wiring just does'nt seem right for the hard start relay diagrams I have seen posted. The relay has Four posts with one not used.

That relay is a common 40A VW relay used for a variety of systems.

What color are the wires connected to the relay? Where do they run? This will give a hint as to where they run.

It is possible one of the wires to this relay comes from the ignition circuit. By connecting it to 12v+ you are energizing the ignition system (or at least part of it).

You need to check your wires that control your ignition.
Look at this wiring diagram:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_68_69_usa.jpg
This starts from the battery. It runs to the VR below the left-rear seat. From there it runs to the front of the car over a heavy gauge red wire (#30). This stops at the headlight switch before moving onto the fuse box. From the headlight switch, another red wire runs to the ignition switch (this is the main power that feeds most accessories). Check this entire path for 12v+ at each junction along the away.

If you have power to the ignition switch, you need to check the black (#15) wire that leaves the ignition switch. This one black wire powers everything when the ignition is ON. Find this wire and test it for 12v when the ignition switch is in the ON position? Follow it to the fuse box and check all connection. This circuit must be powered when the ignition switch is in the ON and in START positions.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: strange relay under back seat Reply with quote

Glen and all,

Thanks guys, the relay is the defroster relay, now just have to figure out why I have no power all of a sudden at the ignition switch. More troubleshooting here I come.

Thanks again all.
John
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: strange relay under back seat Reply with quote

All,

Have trace down my electric problem(bad connection at the regulator feeding 12v to system.) and now car starts and runs great. Thanks for all the help from the forum, you guys are great.

John
otokoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: red wire Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It could be the rear defrost relay. Which is under the rear seat on the left (driver's) side of the car and it's mounted the rear bulkhead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi Glenn, I wonder if you can help me out,my car has no start lately, and that red wire that goes to that connector does not have power when ignition is on, what do you think is my problem? by the way all my lights are ok, ignition, oil and all accessories., thanks
sawitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: red wire Reply with quote

[quote="otokoto"]
Glenn wrote:

I wonder if you can help me out,my car has no start lately, and that red wire that goes to that connector does not have power when ignition is on, what do you think is my problem? by the way all my lights are ok, ignition, oil and all accessories., thanks

I see you just did this in another thread. The thread you appended your question to was 6 years old in 2011. There is no point on posting on a thread that old and you most probably won't get any useful help that way. Start your own new thread and state the question/problem that you're having clearly and you'll get all kinds of help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: