Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need to replace my Engine and Tranny, Considering Subaru
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't too bad of a price really. When people look at engine rebuild costs they oftentimes overlook costs like replacing rusted out exhaust, old hoses, plastic cooling system components, wiring, computer, distributor, alternator, etc, etc,... your mechanic may have included some of those things in his cost so make sure to find out exactly what's included in his price.

When you're dealing with a vehicle of this age, it's usually all the little things that cause you to break down, usually it isn't the actual long block.

You'd hate to have a brand new rebuilt engine only to have to keep dealing with blown hoses, alternators, etc, etc.

FYI, I charge $10k for a 173hp Subaru EJ25 installed with as warranty, with all those "little things" being new or very low mile.

Bostigs seem to be very reliable as well, but they're a kit and I doubt you'll find one of them installed by a mechanic with a warranty for much less than $10k, and they do have less power.

If money is the main concern, a used engine is probably your best option, but it is used so you get what you pay for.

Good luck
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to be spending the $$ on labor anyway, put a great motor in it: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=514460/

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about what a Bostig costs if you stay on the cheap side. Now way you are going to put a decent subi in there for that if you are paying for labor.

I would either go all in, or do a cheap swap with a used motor.

If you're in the PNW, I do have a nice running 2.1 with all the peripherals for sale.

$2k seems silly cheap for a non runner unless the body is beat.
Scubavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: I might have what you need. Reply with quote

I am doing a engine swap from RMW and I would like to sell my current 2.1.
The 2.1 runs great, dose not leak or burn any oil, sad to get rid of it but I need more power to get over the passes here in Colorado. I will include all FI with the sale. I just replaced the fuel lines and one of the coolant pipes.
1,200 bucks will be available last part of November.
bitmouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice.

2 questions, how does a vanistan compare to a gowesty engine?

and what would be a good price to sell a body in good condition, with most if not all of the original stuff (drapes, etc) in it?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango Conversions wrote:
... When people look at engine rebuild costs they oftentimes overlook costs like replacing rusted out exhaust, old hoses, plastic cooling system components, wiring, computer, distributor, alternator, etc, etc,....

So true - look what some of us have into maintenance or improvement items. Then after all that, perhaps the long coolant pipes under the vehicle will need replacement and there's also the radiator. Then the AFM or throttle body might need work/replacement. Perhaps his cost to absorb some potential problems and change out what Vango listed above.

If I installed a new motor, I want the items addressed or replaced that Vango listed, a new coolant distributor and thermostat housing, a GoWesty Alternator bracket reinforcement, all new hoses, new senders for oil, coolant and F.I., new water pump and the the alternator and starter brushes replaced (at least)

I know a mechanic who won't work on a Vanagon if the rear hatch struts aren't working. Been hit the head too many times I guess and they take 5 minutes to replace - maybe that's in the price too ; )

John
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitmouse wrote:
how does a vanistan compare to a gowesty engine?

If there is a problem you will likely have a better chance of satisfactory warranty support with Vanistan.
I say this only because I have friends and acquaintances who have had a tough time with GoWesty concerning the motors. They are a great company for other things and I'm a regular customer but when It comes time to replace my motor it will be a Vanistan.
Search for feedback on both.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gobbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're all selling our 2.1 WBX's, I've got a perfectly well running one too-ready to go-$400 for real in NC includes ECM
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream on... Sell the thing because I fell you want to and buy something else.

For tonight, here is a picture ofa well converted van (well over your budget):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lula-by
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: