Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L Shaped Wind Deflectors.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MURRAYMW1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: wind deflectors Reply with quote

I installed the clips then drove 800 plus miles over 2 days. About 250 with the window down. Worked great. Thanks Chris et. al.
jacklndn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the clips installed will the deflectors be easily removable and reinsertable?

I'm 6'3", the Westy has swivel seats, so I sometimes find myself removing the deflectors between trips for around town driving, or even during a trips to allow better viewing.

Thanks.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
A set of clips arrived from Loogy, yesterday.
Excellent timing as we are heading off on a 1200 miles loop in a day or two.

My dubflectas have been pretty OK, thus far. I like 'em.
Driver side stays up but bows in the center.
Passenger side began to slip this winter.. cross winds work it loose, but it has never been so loose as to potentially lose it.
This in cross winds up to 35 knots.

I watched the video over breakfast.
On mine I placed two clips on the passenger's side. The video suggests 4. And 4 are provided for each deflector.
One clip is placed in middle top. One clip is at the aft bottom.

Immediate impression is that the deflector is much more snug.
I may be OK with just the 2.

I'll carry the extras with me on the trip and add them if necessary.

Although no slippage on my driver side, I may add one clip on the top, middle for good measure.

Will report back on these after the trip.

Chris,
Thank for getting these out so quick upon arrival.

cheers,
the dirge

Back from 1200 mile trip. 100 degree heat to rain to snow.. drt roads, HWY, back roads.

The clips work. Love the dubflectas.. specially when roaring down the HWY at 75 with the windows open.

Jack London,

I am also in the 6-3 range.. I don't remove the deflectors.. Got used to them being there and now hardly notice unless I am craning to see something..

The clips would surely make removal a bit more involved.. and not something I'd want to do regularly. If you want that ease of removal, I'd maybe only use one clip.. or live with the sagging.

Try it out.. report back.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deflector on the right side window has begun to drop down at the corner, so I guess I'd also need some clips.
Mickyfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Dubflecta and they will send you some clips, and are suppling clips now with all orders.

I sent my paypal payment to them yesterday for a pair of L Shaped Wind Deflectors Smile
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you purchased your Dubflecta's from Christopher @ T3 Technique, you should contact him for the clips. His email address is [email protected].

I installed my clips a few days ago and the small amount of sagging I had on the drivers side is totally gone now. These deflectors work great, highly recommended!!!

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving yesterday, I found myself trying to decide what I like most about these deflectors:

1. Reduced wind noise (closed)...
2. Reduced wind buffetting (open)...
3. Reduced glare & solar gain...

Never mind - I just decided #3 is my favorite.

I figure they cover/tint about 35% of the window area - open OR closed -
providing many of the benefit of front tinting without the legal issues...???

Love these.

Love 'em.

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm REALLY glad that the clips are working for you guys and I also appreciate all of the positive support and kind words. Thank you!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "post-clip-era" reviews seem to be good enough to warrant getting a set of these. Order placed!

I'm looking forward to using them on our upcoming vacation. I might actually be able to hear my kids talking to me from the backseat without screaming.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
FloydRTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to provide some feedback after a summer of driving and camping with these.
I installed the current model with the "clips". The installation is straight foreward and the clips do their job, no sag. I do have an occasional rattle on the pax window. That being said I would not take these off and on on a regular basis. Once installed leave them on or take them off for good. I did damage my drivers side rubber when installing and the chance of this happening is high.
I am over 6' tall and find the bottom edge of the upper part of the deflector is directly in my line of sight. Takes getting used to. I also find distortion in the leading foreward edge of the deflector, again takes getting used to. I do like any of this distortion. I also do not like having to "duck under" the deflector if I want to put my head all the way out the window. Shorter drivers/users may not have these issues.
They do seem to lower the interior noise, windows up, down or partial, although this is a subjective obsevation. It is nice to be able to leave the front windows cracked to the lower edge of the deflector when parked or camping. Keeps the air flowing, rain and bugs out.
All in all these are just ok, for $80 you are not out a great deal. If you are taller than 6' you might want to think twice about them or try to test drive a pair before you commit. I will keep them on until I replace my window rubbers, at that time I will probably think hard about putting them back on.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These have become one of my favorite upgrades (and my wife, too). I put them on my Carat.

There is amazing reduction in wind and noise. I haven't even considered using the clips that Chris sent. Mine fit textbook, and they haven't budged in several hundred miles of driving in lots of conditions. My power windows roll up and down like a charm.

Here's a funny observation...I can now easily leave food wrappers and napkins on my lap while I eat a sandwich, etc. Any attempt at this would have ended in a fast-food tornado before the deflectors.

Most of the things that others have mentioned are true (decreased visibility, less ability to drive like Ace Ventura, and probably not as good for tall people, etc.). I will gladly endure what I consider to be minor downsides in exchange for the benefits of this upgrade. I also wondered if they'd be easy to take off and on, but now I can't imagine a scenario where I would even consider it.

Thanks for providing a great Vanagon product, Chris. Recommendo.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my driver side one drop out couple weeks back Mad on an excessively windy day. They are both off the Thingamajigger now. Completely rebuilt door with all new rubber and gaskets.

Don't know what upset me more; losing the dubflecta or my 5 year old son hearing me drop the F bomb for the first time. (Don't tell the wife)

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LP, did this happen with the clips in place or without the clips?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Hey LP, did this happen with the clips in place or without the clips?

All respect due to you, I think I was overlooked on the clips despite our email conversations. Were not in box with trailing arm bolts, that was last thing I got from you.

Should have taken them out until I got the clips, but I like the wind noise reduction.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will these things be back in stock?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chojinchef wrote:
Don't know what upset me more; losing the dubflecta or my 5 year old son hearing me drop the F bomb for the first time. (Don't tell the wife)

LP

You made it 5 years before dropping the F-Bomb in front of the kid Exclamation Give the man a metal!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:
When will these things be back in stock?

Hopefully within the month.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some help.

My left side with clips still slides down a bit and I need to push it up.

My right side is a lot better BUT, I can not seem to get the clips up. I do not want to force and break.

Help me understand how to install them:

- The barbed side goes toward the rubber / inside of van. That right?

- Any tricks on getting the clips to seat?

(I am sure tempted to create a little U channel with a set screw.....)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat dismayed to hear all the problems people are having with their wind deflectors. So, not wanting to say anything negative about the present manufacturer, I offer the following:

Here in Costa Rica, I just had a set of 4 (four) smokey grey ones made for my 4 door pickup. The shop already had the molds for the front doors, but had to make a tracing, then a mold, then blow them, cut, grind and fit the rear ones. It was the first time he'd had to do a 4 door Isuzu. Each deflector was then edged with black vinyl trim. Total cost for all 4, fitted, was $26.00.

Here, all these deflectors are glued into the window channel with a thin smear of superglue along the top outer edge where the deflector meets the rubber. Those things are in to stay. To remove the old broken ones I had to break out the plastic, then clean the rubber with acetone.

Perhaps current owners could try that with their deflectors?

Also, I made a tracing of my '88 Westfalia's door windows while back in Canada, and now will have the local shop here in CR make me a set. When I get back to Canada in March I'll fit them, without the superglue first, and see how they work.

If they work satisfactorily I will look into having more made here in CR for members of theSamba. The cost won't be as low as my ready made Isuzu set, but surely won't be as high as those imported from England.
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would post some opinions based on my own personal experience with these wind deflectors over the last 6+ months or so. For the record, I have never requested or added the clips, but they did start sagging after 1-2 months of use.

-Ability to let in fresh air without feeling "overpowered" by the wind
-Don't fall out on the trails when your windows are down (which is a huge plus)

Dislikes:
-Both deflectors have cut into my window/door seals at the lower part where they sit
-It makes it more difficult to see my passenger side mirror (which is a LT style mirror)
-The passenger side deflector slightly cracked at the lower part during installation (which is obviously my fault, but I honestly didn't feel like I was being overly rough during installation). Over the months that part has cracked more until there is now a little 1-2" piece missing.
-I don't particularly like the look of them, but chose to use them for the reasons on my "likes" list

I have decided to remove them for the time being.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: