Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fclmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

1st off this is copied from Doris at earlybay.com who I have to thank for providing me a clean look to a problem I was facing. I copied it here with a subject line that may be easier to find when doing a search for washer switch conversion and for safe keeping. There are other methods out there for making this conversion but I felt that this one was a bit cleaner. Thanks Doris!

As written by Doris;
I will start by saying that this has been done before and covered on other forums,however I thought someone may benefit from watching me do mine.there are few ways of doing this but I think this is the easiest.The principle is the same though.

I have a 69 Bay and it has had an electric screen washer fitted by the PO.The washer motor operation switch was a PTM (push to make contact) toggle switch just below the dash - very un sightly i.m.o. I wanted to retain my stock looking switch but still have the reliability of the electric washer system.

I decided to use the pushing action on the air switch and, by fitting a small PTM switch behind the push rod, the pushing action could be used to operate an electric switch....hey presto - stock switch - up graded to electric operation!

This is how I did it............

These are the tools I used...hobby tool & various attachments,measure,the PTM micro switch of course,the VW wiper/washer switch & a curcuit tester.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought the switches off ebay from a seller called bitsbox, I found they were just the right size & capacity.

I measured the diameter of the thread on the PTM switch - It measured 7mm.

so I drilled a hole slightly tighter (5mm) in the body of the washer switch so that the thread on the PTM switch to bite into the plastic body and stay secure. TAKE YOUR TIME at this point as once you remove the original moulding of plastic, you can't put it back, you would have to fill the hole with miliput or araldite and then re drill it and start again. Note,as you drill into the plastic moulding/casing you are obviously gutting the air switch, so you may have a few shreds of metal/spring and seals etc from the air valve come out.

After I made sure the hole was clear ( I wanted the push rod to have a clear throw when operated) I measured how far into the body of the washer switch housing the push rod came, then compared that to how far from the rear the PTM switch came.there was a bout 9mm difference, so I chopped off 9mm from the rear of the housing (where the air pipes had attached to).

....after several trial fits and minor adjustments (cuts!!!) the PTM swich screws neatly into the switch housing just at the right depth so as to be operated by the push rod on the front of the wiper switch..

I finally physically checked that it would work using a curcuit tester....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/855940.jpg

Job done! all I have to do now is either solder the connections to the washer motor or fit spade clips and re fit to Doris!
RussellK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a switch like that today that I was going to put under the dash. I'm sure glad you posted the writeup before I drilled my hole. That looks great.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be really aware of clearance between the wiper linkage and that switch, it would be getting uncomfortably close in a flat screen bug
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool idea, thanks for the write-up.

I'll be copying it btw.
decobugma07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so great. I received the micro PTM yesterday and I'll try this weekend. Just on time for Winter driving.

I have a 66 bug. So, I'll post picture with that style switch (not much different I guess).

66 Bug "Trixie"
68 Bug "Deco" (parting out)
73 Bug "Blue Angel" (RIP)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirkne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is just what i was looking for
CalLookVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Have used this method several times. Works Great!
'67 Squareback
'68 Sunroof beetle - 1st bug, bought back
'70 Bay window deluxe
'71 Bay window
-----------------------------------
'14 Jetta SE 1.8T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I retained the stock switch, and just added a toggle under the dash for the electric windshield washer pump.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Wiskow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I have seen a couple mods to the wiper switch. Here is my mod using a3D printed housing.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3229239

David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Using that type of switch, it would probably be a good idea to run the pump off a relay, those switches aren't made to carry a lot of current.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Washer pump doesnt draw much. Have been doing that for getting close to 10 years on quite a few cars. And there was a comment earlier about being careful about the depth. First one I did got eaten by the wiper assembly.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I retained the stock switch, and just added a toggle under the dash for the electric windshield washer pump.

I put a push button under the dash, in the hole that was already there for the rear window defroster.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seiyaTokyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Nice I will try it. Thank you very much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

So nice! Want to do that to mine as well now! Do you have the link for the buttons?
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I don't mean to hijack, but I figure someone looking at this thread might know. Some time back someone did a write up on this, but mounted in a column switch(for a SUPER BEETLE...would love it if the Mexibeetle combo switch would work). Anyone have a link to that thread? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks
H2OSB
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Wiskow wrote:
I have seen a couple mods to the wiper switch. Here is my mod using a3D printed housing.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3229239

You or anyone selling this part?
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I used the knob for the Eber to run an electric washer pump.
I took the Eber out because I only drive my bug in the summer, so it was not used. Smile
Cheburashka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

anthax wrote:
I used the knob for the Eber to run an electric washer pump.
I took the Eber out because I only drive my bug in the summer, so it was not used. Smile

???

I looked up "Eber" and got "An early ancestor of the Isrealites." Maybe that knob isn't installed on Supers. Razz
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Yeah, been done on the wiper stalk, would try doing a search. I have not done that yet myself, but it was using a similar switch I believe. Had seen the post a couple years ago. Found one of several on this.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502329&highlight=washer+switch+electric
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

"Doris" sure has manly hands. If you read the bottom line, Doris is the name of the posters car.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: