Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I did this for on my 1973 curved windscreen super beetle too.
Details here:

http://www.gerrelt.nl/section-modifications/window-washer-switch

I too was worried the current drawn by the washer motor was too much for the switch, so I used a relay to wire it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's been working perfectly for about 10 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Yeah, been done on the wiper stalk, would try doing a search. I have not done that yet myself, but it was using a similar switch I believe. Had seen the post a couple years ago. Found one of several on this.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502329&highlight=washer+switch+electric

Ahh, thank you. I searched for micro switch, column switch, and wiper switch. Never dawned on me to search washer bottle, but that is the article I was referring to.

H2OSB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
I did this for on my 1973 curved windscreen super beetle too.
Details here:

http://www.gerrelt.nl/section-modifications/window-washer-switch

I too was worried the current drawn by the washer motor was too much for the switch, so I used a relay to wire it:

It's been working perfectly for about 10 years.

I should have thought of you Gerrelt. You've done most everything to your car I want to do. I stole your rear brake idea for my son's car.

H2OSB
Wiskow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

The button is a simple tactile button like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/97

Crimped/soldered a terminal to the legs of the button.
http://www.elecdirect.com/crimp-wire-terminals/dis...-tab-100pk

Push in the button assembly in from the back and fill in with hot glue.

I haven't installed yet so I don't know how well it fits.

I don't sell the housing, but you can have the files to print your own https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3229239 I am located in Los Angeles, message me if you would like some help.

Last edited by Wiskow on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Here are links to the original switches shown here:

US:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/e-switch/PS1024ARED/EG2015-ND/44577

UK:
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2789

Great posts, thanks dudes!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Wiskow wrote:
The button is a simple tactile button like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/97

Crimped/soldered a terminal to the legs of the button.
http://www.elecdirect.com/crimp-wire-terminals/dis...-tab-100pk

Push in the button assembly in from the back and fill in with hot glue.

I haven't installed yet so I don't know how well it fits.

I don't sell the housing, but you can have the files to print your own https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3229239 I am located in Los Angeles, message me if you would like some help.

Did you end up making this work? I'd like to try the same.
Wiskow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Ya! It has been working flawlessly. My only problem now is the stream of water is too strong it shoots over the car Laughing
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Wiskow wrote:
Ya! It has been working flawlessly. My only problem now is the stream of water is too strong it shoots over the car Laughing

Just move the aim of the nozzles down lower at the windshield. You do realize they are adjustable.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Quote:
You do realize they are adjustable

a pin (pointy kind not writing kind) into the holes. They are a ball swivel
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I have sometimes found that they can be suborn. I have had a pin bend before the swivel ball moves. An alternative could be a small 4" awl with a sharp point. Do not jam it in there.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I’ve found that a tiny bit of WD-40 will loosen up the nozzle sprayers. A few seconds after spraying, a pin will move them easily.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dr Ann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Hi guys, just got to say a big thank you for the electrics details and micro push button info… I just managed to get my new electric washer wired in this way and it’s brilliant. It works so well I need to get a pin out and alter the trajectory from the nozzles now!!

By being sble to do this it saved me from having to drill another hole in the dash … as I had already used the existing hole for the button for my spotlights!!

Anyway thanks for the ideas!!love them!! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Much appreciated! It really helped out!!

(and while I was getting the spots and the washer sorted out I managed to get a repair plate fixed in and an “old” radio and speaker back in too .. so it’s all looking really ship shape now!! 👍👍👏👏

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ I just noticed you have a later model which probably had a padded dash at one time. Did you de-pad the dash yourself? I've always wondered how all the switches get adjusted for the loss of thickness when the padded portion is removed...I've seen some where the switches had large gaps behind the knobs after removing the dash. Yours looks really good.
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
^ ^ ^ I just noticed you have a later model which probably had a padded dash at one time. Did you de-pad the dash yourself? I've always wondered how all the switches get adjusted for the loss of thickness when the padded portion is removed...I've seen some where the switches had large gaps behind the knobs after removing the dash. Yours looks really good.

In UK, most (if not all) of Europe, Australia, etc. we didn't get the US padded dash on models with torsion bar front ends. Only super beetles had padded dash for us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Puppy67 wrote:
Busstom wrote:

In UK, most (if not all) of Europe, Australia, etc. we didn't get the US padded dash on models with torsion bar front ends. Only super beetles had padded dash for us.

Luckyyyyyyyyy!!! Smile

Actually, after I posted, I began to wonder whether certain markets got it. So, there must be part numbers for dash switches that don't "fit" the US spec pad, so maybe those are the ones to go after when de-padding a US dash?
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

I did something very similar to this on my 71 super.

I ended up using the relay, last time I had the frunk open and the wiring all split out I ended up putting the relay into the original fuse block. This mod works great, I have owned this car since 2003 and before that it was my dads. He had installed an electric washer bottle, but never hooked it up. I remember him using a spray bottle out the window when I was a kid LOL.

Anyway, I'm not really adding anything to this thread other than "me too" Everything in my super looks totally stock and this worked excellent.
deltakilo172
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: washer switch conversion to electric - dash mounted Reply with quote

Good day all. Looking for some guidance and parts for an electric wiper fluid install I want to put in my car. I don’t want to use the spare tire pressure any longer for the obvious reasons (lol). I purchased a kit online but now now trying to find a push switch that I can install in one of the blank openings on my dash to keep the look as original as I can. I have a 1979 VW Super Beetle Convertible (fuel injected). Any adviice and where I can source the proper parts would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of my dash for reference.

By the way and as an option, is my factory signal arm system able to be used with this after market electric windshield wiper bottle upgrade? Wasn’t sure exactly how the factory system worked other than knowing the wiper fluid squirts when the signal arm is pulled but assumed that was just a mechanical type of cut off and not operated through an electrical switch.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: