Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

120-901 battery contactor/isolator question--getting hot
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: 120-901 battery contactor/isolator question--getting hot Reply with quote

I realized our alternator charging circuit to the house batteries needed improvement. I replaced the stock silver 30A isolator/combiner weekender relay with a more robust unit. I realized that if our house batteries (2x44Ah=88Ah) were very flat, and some other loads (amp, subwoofer) were operating it would be possible to overstress that 25y.o. little relay designed for lighter duty.

Based on research here and elsewhere I chose the White Rodgers 120-901 Contactor, 12VDC, Continuous duty, 100A, 400A inrush, $20.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=5763007

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Upgraded the wire to the house batteries to 8ga with an inline fuse while at it.

Functionally all seems well: 14.15v to the aux batteries with engine running, which is about .15 to .2v better than before. Voltage loss through the switchgear and wiring only .05v, as measured at starting battery and then at house battery, engine running.

The 120-901 seems very robust however I noticed that it gets quite warm to the touch, some with sensitive skin might say hot. As this is my first experience with this type of contactor is this normal? I mounted it horizontally as they say this is permissible.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also I couldn't make out any polarity markings for the coil trigger connections. Does this matter?

Thanks electrical experts in sambaland!

Last edited by teej on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: battery contactor/isolator question--getting hot Reply with quote

Yes, the larger relays get warm. Not a problem. The polarity of the coil leads doesn't matter. I have used many of those 120-901 relays.

Mark

teej wrote:
I realized our alternator charging circuit to the house batteries needed improvement. I replaced the stock silver 30A isolator/combiner weekender relay with a more robust unit. .....

Based on research here and elsewhere I chose the White Rodgers 120-901 Contactor, 12VDC, Continuous duty, 100A, 400A inrush, $20......

The 120-901 seems very robust however I noticed that it gets quite warm to the touch, some with sensitive skin might say hot. As this is my first experience with this type of contactor is this normal? I mounted it horizontally as they say this is permissible.

Also I couldn't make out any polarity markings for the coil trigger connections. Does this matter?
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: battery contactor/isolator question--getting hot Reply with quote

Thanks crazyvwvanman, I was hoping you might comment. Appreciate the reassurance!

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes, the larger relays get warm. Not a problem. The polarity of the coil leads doesn't matter. I have used many of those 120-901 relays.

Mark

teej wrote:
I realized our alternator charging circuit to the house batteries needed improvement. I replaced the stock silver 30A isolator/combiner weekender relay with a more robust unit. .....

Based on research here and elsewhere I chose the White Rodgers 120-901 Contactor, 12VDC, Continuous duty, 100A, 400A inrush, $20......

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good voltage drop test is to turn on some loads with the engine runing and measure the voltages and drops again. With the headlights, brights, and fans running, take another set of measurements. It might drop as low as 13.5 under high load. If the aux battery is discharged it's even worse. It really demonstrates how the voltage drop increases with the amperage flow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: