Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Progressive insurance "snapshot recorder" scary bu
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Supreme Court has ruled that no one has a reasonable expectation of privacy from being photographed while out in public. This same logic should be applied to automobile data recorders since, A) driving is a privilege and not a right, B) the data retrieved can greatly assist with accident investigations.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an aside: I've heard it said so many times that driving is a privilege and not a right, and have accepted it without question.

But when I consider that the roads and streets and systems that support them are paid for with taxes paid by all of us, it doesn't seem right that I should consider using them a "privilege". If the public has paid for them, then they should have a right to use them.

Granted, due to the huge numbers of people and vehicles involved, there need to be rules in place to ensure that the roads and streets remain available to all. But in my opinion, that still doesn't make driving a mere privilege that can be taken away without due process.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgamike wrote:
I have a friend who had purchased a BMW Z4 (I think that's it.) Within 1500 miles his engine blew. He took it back to the dealer, with warranty replacement in mind. They pulled the black box - yes they have one on them and a lot of other cars too. They found out that he had been hotrodding it and wouldn't cover repairs. When he complained they said, "Call your insurance company. Maybe they'll cover it." They didn't.

Sounds realistic to me... just like how performance engine builders usually don't offer warranties..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmartin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great more tecnology. Rolling Eyes This will probably be made law for all obd-II cars in the future. Why can`t big brother just leave us alone? Back when it took skill to drive and when cars were not as safe as they are now, stupid drivers were taken out if traffic by their own stupidity and now we are all being punished to keep them on the road. Evil or Very Mad I could go on and on with this, but I better stop now.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it comes down to a point that everyone has to drive in a steady, boring line out of fear our cars will tell on us public transportation better get it's shit together. I'd have much more money if I gave up driving anyway.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I'd have much more money if I gave up driving anyway.

And you would get a lot more reading done, too! Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
jmartin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that an obdII system will store one`s driving habits, but can the system be wiped completely clean by disconnecting the battery for a while? I know this will clear trouble codes, how about its memory logs of my driving habits?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
Man if VW ever looked at the black box on my GTI...I take it out on track days, I bet it looks like I drive like an absolute maniac. Also, I bet you could detect a pattern of acceleration and deceleration based on how I drive the track Laughing

It's a shame YOU can't access it, then you might find those extra couple of tenth's you keep giving away. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start searching through your vag com, I'm sure it's in there. It's a wonderful system that can tell you all the reasons a maf is bad, yet not turn a damned engine light on and give a simple code for it.

Future cars will sense you farting and release air freshener at appropriate times...I kid you not- theyre working on that right now.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Future cars will sense you farting and release air freshener at appropriate times...I kid you not- theyre working on that right now.

I wouldn't mind if future cars shocked your butt when you held a cell phone to your ear or tried to text.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: