Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan Shroud(housing) - original finish?(gold) (Type 4)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Alodine is for aluminum but may sort of work on mag or at least a mag/al alloy, I was going to dig out some of mine and try it but haven't had a chance.

Get yourself a bottle and do some experimenting: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/alodine1201.php As for pre cleaning most recommend an alkaline bath IIRC, think a shroud would fit in your dishwasher?

hah, i do dishes by hand, so im SOL as far as that goes!

i may go the experiment route. i'll see if the original coat can be removed at all
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Busdaddy is spot on. Here is the process you are looking for. It can be more involved and nasty than you think.
http://www.finishing.com/faqs/magnesium.html

Be aware,,,you are going to need chromic acid (sulphuric acid and dichromate mixture and chromium trioxide). Some of the byproducts are Chrome 6 (hexavalent chrome)....which is highly highly carcinogenic. Ray

ugh thats nasty, i cant see myself getting through all those steps and baths without getting it in my eyes.

busdaddy's link is for a brush applied product, right? i dnno. this may all hinge on if the original coating can be easily removed.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad who is a retired tranny man would coat the cases that he'd rebuilt with aluminum spraypaint. With the way aluminum reflects I always thought is was about as bad as white for how dirt shows up.

SGKent wrote:
the transmission was cleaned then sprayed with CRC heavy duty corrosion control. I used aluminum paint on the shroud and it is holding just fine.I don't epxect it to last 100,000 miles but when it gets bad I will do it again - or maybe sooner with a color closer to original or a powder coat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The trans looks really good. Is the stuff sticky?
What do you think about using it on the fan shroud?

It looks about the right gold color, though the pics of the differential in the test I'd posted, it looks darker. btw, those tests he concluded that gibbs wasn't holding up to outside conditions as well as the crc. His tests didn't include any engine heat though so it's not like it's conclusive.
junkyardave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey just a thought you could pollish it by hand .
first have it soda blasted then sand it down with 150 grit
then keep going to higher grits and to reach tight spaces use a dremel
the only reason i know of this is my brother in law has did this in the past
for manifolds and transmisions .this sounds like a lot of work
to me.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junkyardave wrote:
hey just a thought you could pollish it by hand .
first have it soda blasted then sand it down with 150 grit
then keep going to higher grits and to reach tight spaces use a dremel
the only reason i know of this is my brother in law has did this in the past
for manifolds and transmisions .this sounds like a lot of work
to me.

That is good advice too. That is exactly what I did to create this (minus the soda blasting), and I am very happy with the outcome:

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Rob R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bead blasted my fan shroud and painted it with Glasurit clear.

rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks Rob for the pictures. that looks good!
74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get the same OG look for the fan housing. I started with soda blasting to clean up and remove any corrision. This acheived mixed results. Now I am in the process of cleaning further with Tergo paint remover and metal conditioner. This contains phosphoric acid which I read was good for cleaning alumiium. This is working ok and gives a raw metal finish. I'm just brushing on, leaving for a few minutes and lightly scrubbing with a tooh brush.

The finish is a bit patchy but has the "gold" hue in some plaes. This "gold" hue is similar to the inside areas of the housing which have been sealed up from new when the two halves were bolted together at the factory.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add to this old thread. Been doing some research on magnesium coatings for the 091 I am rebuilding. One example is Dow1 which is here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=587241

What I have discovered is that the processes made by Dow are no longer available although the formulas are so some folks still do them Dow 1 and Dow 17 were commonly used on mag alloys. I've learned that the processes were originally designed to be sacrificial - they protect the part while it is passing thru the manufacturing process and while it is on the shelf. Once on a car some of the processes can be gone in as little as 24 hours in say a place where slush with road salt gets on them. In open air they go away and change color as they go away. The gold turns to light gold in awhile, then a silverish, then dark gray - hence why we see so many colors. The inside of my trans for example is gold where the oil protected it from oxygen and gray outside where water and oxygen got to it. Ducatti uses a paint process to control their mag from oxidizing but the cost of the paint from colorrite is like $50 a can. ColorRite Ducati magnesium gold paint is the color.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to Westfabulous? I thought he was well into cracking it?

So Im sure Mr Ruiz found an aircraft coater. Has you send him your stuff as a middleman then sends it back to you? Ive never run down the process here - and with all the Boeing engineers into ACVWs they have the answer on where and how for sure.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The formula for Magnesium pickle solution was in many of the manuals I trained on for aircraft maintenance, it's not a proprietary Dow thing, they just packaged it already made. With the right connections in the chemical industry all the ingredients are still available, the issue is many are restricted or require some elaborate handling and disposal procedures, that's why no shops will do it anymore. Another issue was modern helicopters don't use magnesium for transmission cases, etc. like the old school ones did, many of the shops we contacted responded with a "chrome pickle?, what's that?", one said they would try some modern equivalents but after a few months the only thing they had done was lost a sample shroud.

Westfab and I are still on this, he's just taking a little break from the bus project to deal with other more important things, when we get back on it you'll read about it here.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Thanks Busdaddy Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T127 industrial engine, zero hours, no coating on fan shroud. Note that since this picture was taken the fan shroud has become a corroded mess having been stored in a covered but unheated area.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The formula for Magnesium pickle solution was in many of the manuals I trained on for aircraft maintenance, it's not a proprietary Dow thing, they just packaged it already made. With the right connections in the chemical industry all the ingredients are still available, the issue is many are restricted or require some elaborate handling and disposal procedures, that's why no shops will do it anymore. Another issue was modern helicopters don't use magnesium for transmission cases, etc. like the old school ones did, many of the shops we contacted responded with a "chrome pickle?, what's that?", one said they would try some modern equivalents but after a few months the only thing they had done was lost a sample shroud.

Westfab and I are still on this, he's just taking a little break from the bus project to deal with other more important things, when we get back on it you'll read about it here.

Not to convince anyone to work with things they are not prepared for.... but businesses. .....have to conform to EPA documentation, permitting and disposal regulations......however......the the Federal and most state EPA's......have a home exemption clause. I can use chemicals at home with no permit that 99% of all companies in the US....cannot.......and I am not required to do any more than local laws state for disposal or air emmisions.

So.....jf you want, to chrome pickle at home. ....buy the stuff and have at it. Just be warned....chrome 6 is more than, just carcinogenic. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my take....

stop over thinking this. glass bead the stuff, prep, tint your clear with gold, different ratios for different coats to give that crappy uneven finish.

someone send me a beaded shroud and I will work my magic...free. you pay for shipping and materials

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

someone send me a beaded shroud and I will work my magic...free. you pay for shipping and materials

We all know you don't work for free....
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The formula for Magnesium pickle solution was in many of the manuals I trained on for aircraft maintenance, it's not a proprietary Dow thing,

Just Google Dow 1, Dow 17, magnesium finishing etc. The formulas come up BUT the point is that even if someone pickles it, besides costing a small fortune if they have it done commercially, the finish will go away with corrosion and moisture in the air unless they store the car as a show car and don't drive it in any weather. All the coatings on the mag are sacrificial meaning they are not designed to last, just keep it nice until shipped, or act as a base to paint. One can clear coat them if they want and that will help protect the finish. Or, simply find a paint color equal to Ducati magnesium gold paint. Have your paint shop mix a quart because it looks like there is a close GM equal.

Duplicolor Gold Mica - Bgm0491

Colorrite: http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Engine-Touch-Up-Aerosol-Desmosedici/dp/B00FJI9KWM
Example of ColorRite:

Here is Joe Ruiz's Dow 1

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: fan housing Reply with quote

The paint is UGLY and won't last and looks like a cross between the
SF49ers and Notre-Dame helmet colors.

Yuck!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fan housing Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
The paint is UGLY and won't last and looks like a cross between the
SF49ers and Notre-Dame helmet colors.

Yuck!

Then pay Joe to Dow 1 your shroud once a year Smile That is the process VW used. Per Joe "The parts are walnut blasted in preparation for the chem. treatment.... The chem. process that is applied is a DOW #1.... I don't know what you mean about durability / lasting since it is a sacrificial coating as applied by the factory back then to prevent oxidation to the magnesium in Germany's damp climate."

Dow 1 used on 356 from Joe's ad here. It is a fine process, according to the specs online it removes .0005" in the process and goes away over time - which is why it is gone on most of our shrouds except under things like grease that kept oxygen away. If Westfabulous and BusDaddy find something else that is great. I posted what I found here to save the next person some trouble when researching it. The inside of my 091 case is gold. The outside mag brown and gold with the amber cosmoline on it. I did not want to paint it black like Rick suggested and others do. Weddle uses silver with black highlights. Maybe pink with green dots would be nice Smile As for shrouds - gold when brand new, shortly thereafter light gold-silver, then silver then mag gray-brown. All are correct for a shroud because the Dow 1 process ages. The newer processes used today that hold up are white.

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: yuck =GOLD Reply with quote

That's why I have mine powder coated BLACK ....... Cool
& shiny and easy to wipe off the dust.

There were only a couple of years that VW actually used the gold colored
finish and most were 74 models including those in the 412 type-4

It's obvious it was an experiment that may have cost more $$ than it was worth.

Yeah, I was there back then and they looked Purty but, $$$$ talks and
that's not what the vw was interested in Cost reduction before the H2O MODELS with the famous Dasher. and it had No gold anywhere.....

anodizing a fan housing is/was. not a selling point just an experiment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: