Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 58 kombi
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: My new 58 kombi Reply with quote

So I thought I would show my new to me '58 Kombi. This was a quick cell phone pic I took just in case the guy dropped it off the truck. I'm still trying to figure out the color. Seems to look like someone painted it coral red. It's my first Type 2 so go easy on me. Quick question.. what is the RGB suppose to sound like?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the one from eBay, right? I saw it on there, nice Kombi. I think a guy in N. CA restored it many years ago.

It looks like it could be Sealing Wax Red in that photo but hard to tell for sure.

The reduction boxes do make noise but not a ton.

If it still has a split-case transmission casing, first gear will be really loud.

If you are not sure what a "split-case" is, look at the transmission case under the Bus. If it is made up of 2 halves that are bolted together with nuts all along the center, that is a split-case.
Example, note seam down center:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its from ebay, first car purchase off of ebay and first time shipping a car, oh man does that get your heart racing. I thought it looked like SWR too but in person it looks more like coral. The guy said the paint was about 8 years old. I'll take a look to see if its a split case and post some better pictures. Thanks for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on an awesome first bus! Looks like a total driver... that's kind of cheating Wink Smart move starting with a turn key bus though, and yeah, at least I'll try to go easy on you. On your RGB question, Everett answered it right, and while I don't think yours will still have the correct split case in it, if it does, first gear is the best gear ever! You can drive around town in first gear and make believe you're in a WWII tank! It's loud as hell because split case transaxles -that were stock up to late 59 or early 60- had straight cut -not helical- teeth on the first gear. Hauling around in first gear will render some of the sexiest transporter noises you've ever heard! Hell, the howl from first gear turns me on so much, I saved it to my IPhone and play it at night when I'm lonely ...don't laugh, I'm serious!

Looking forward to more pictures. Welcome to the club!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: My new 58 kombi Reply with quote

awalls wrote:
It's my first Type 2 so go easy on me. Quick question.. what is the RGB suppose to sound like?

At first glance it looks "lowered". Do you know for a fact that it does have an RGB transaxle? Confused

Sweet looking bus anyway! Cool
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiice

Whats the original paint code for this? I hope it's SWR Very Happy

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
thewalkingdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: My new 58 kombi Reply with quote

way to go! looks sweet and no work to do. I too have RGB's in my 56 panel and as I have yet to install a radio I get to listen to the howl everywhere I go. not that there's anything wrong with that.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Hauling around in first gear will render some of the sexiest transporter noises you've ever heard! Hell, the howl from first gear turns me on so much, I saved it to my IPhone and play it at night when I'm lonely ...don't laugh, I'm serious!

someone's got splitcase fever!

sure would make an awesome ring tone

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an old ad for it on the site:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=152722

Ad Text
Quote:
1958 Volkswagen Kombi, Original California Black Plate car with matching key fob. Original Pressed Bumper Bus With perfect Front & Rear Bumpers. Mint steering wheel and hornbutton and original speedometer. Original 36 H.P. Engine that runs great and Crashbox Transmission and reduction boxes, both fully restored and powdercoated from Wolfgang International. All new Seals throughout the bus, all glass in excellent shape along with original VW Sigla labels. Bullet Turnsignals, Crankstart Apron and including the original Crank Handle. Original Front emblem and new mirrors. Correct early wiper arms and blades Front seat redone with new padding, Wolfsburg West door panels, kick panels and ceiling panels, Correct black vent wing locks, The bus is equipped 15" bus rims. Lower rocker below side cargo doors replaced along with repairs done on front floors, The bus was fully disassembled and blasted inside and out before paint. It was painted the original Coral Red with clear coat. The cargo area was sprayed the original Grey. You will be hard pressed to find a Kombi this nice for the same money. I've owned this bus for over 14 years.

(Bolding is mine so you can see it probably is Coral Red)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it back - Coral red Kombi? Never heard of one - thats Cool

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for finding the old ad. How do you do that? So it now has a 1600, but I have the 36hp it just needs to be rebuilt. Paint is holding up okay, few dents and few peeling areas. Yeah I know I kinda cheated on getting running bus but the wife laid the law down since I'm still working on getting the bug back together after an engine fire.(fuel filter pulled line off the carb) Now I know. First thing when I got the bus is move the filter... I have never heard of a coral red bus but if so that's even better.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
I take it back - Coral red Kombi? Never heard of one - thats Cool

it was probably a beetle guy that painted it and he didn't know bus colors. when you see faded SWR it could easily be mistaken for coral red by the uninformed.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
it was probably a beetle guy that painted it and he didn't know bus colors. when you see faded SWR it could easily be mistaken for coral red by the uninformed.

Thats what I thought but anyhow I love coral red too
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see some more pics! dig the bus, look forward to seeing it at the shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen SWR repaints which were not as close to original SWR as Coral is.
Great color, great looking bus.

I hope they secured the battery well. That spot on the trailer has been known to ruin rear corners when the battery broke loose.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awalls wrote:
Wow, thanks for finding the old ad. How do you do that?

I have access to the old ads since I'm the site owner. Smile

I agree with the above comments about Coral Red vs. Sealing Wax Red (SWR)
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend and I spent a couple of hours looking at and driving this bus...at least it looks like the same one....It is coral red, the passenger rocker has had some work, and there was something funky going on at the base of the drivers door handle....alli in all a very decent bus. I do not think he had the middle or rear seats. It drove well, it wasn't lowered I think it was tuning low profile tire though. Enjoy ,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bus looked great on ebay. post up some more good photos once you get a chance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bus.
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:
A friend and I spent a couple of hours looking at and driving this bus...at least it looks like the same one....It is coral red, the passenger rocker has had some work, and there was something funky going on at the base of the drivers door handle....alli in all a very decent bus. I do not think he had the middle or rear seats. It drove well, it wasn't lowered I think it was tuning low profile tire though. Enjoy ,

Yeah there is a crack in the paint under the driver side door handle that seem to be from the new rubber seals being way too tight and having to force the door open. I trimmed the seal and it opens better now but the paint is still fubared there. As for the rocker, some one must have hit something and kept moving forward, causing a dent/scrape. Overall I'm super pleased with it. No seats but I'm going to build a full sized zbed type seat in the back. I put a ton of pics up this weekend it just so dark when I get home at night.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: