Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Monroe front shock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list rules!

I ordered a full set from Rock auto (along a pair of load leveling ones for our Honda Odyssey). I found a code for a 5% discount too!

It seems that Koni's are the way to go if you have the cash, and may even be cheaper in the long run - but with my limited miles these should serve me fine. Besides, I need to save up for a tranny rebuild. Wink

John
LiMBO
86 Wolfsburg Westfalia "Weekender"
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

I think I will be shopping elsewhere for mine. I need shocks for my Multivan with stock springs. I will pull the trigger on front and rear. If I do not like them I will sell or use on another project. (My son complains the front of our van bounces too much. I hardly notice it.....)

Before installing the moog 5660 the front of my 85 westy bounced enough that folks knew I was pulling up, because of the ucab noise.

The 5660 take quite a bit more to compress, the range of the bounce was chopped about in half, and the ucab noise all but disappeared. A little later the loogy bushings took care of what was left.

But it did add a lot to the height of the van. I think it was about an inch, don't remember now.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Advance auto today to buy these as they are only $22. They were totally unavailable through the store. I came back home to order online, there was only one front available. I ended up ordering from Rock Auto, the front was $35 but I found a coupon code and got $6 off the order which pretty much paid for the shipping.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelB12 wrote:
Went to Advance auto today to buy these as they are only $22. They were totally unavailable through the store. I came back home to order online, there was only one front available. I ended up ordering from Rock Auto, the front was $35 but I found a coupon code and got $6 off the order which pretty much paid for the shipping.

can you tell where the coupon code is? I anm in the market for new shocks, and the rock auto price seems good for monroes gas magnums, but I could use the extra discount.

thanks
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
...can you tell where the coupon code is?

I sent one to you my PM. Rock auto said I can share with family and friends. I mean we are almost friends aren't we? Wait a minute, are you my long lost brother?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a google search. It was just a bit over $6
oreana123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of Monroes from Wundercarparts.com for $116 with free shipping
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Monroe front shock Reply with quote

We bought the Monroes back in October 2011, but I finally got around to installing them this week. Very pleased!

Our 90 Carat had several annoying rattles in the rear, GONE. Obviously the bushings on the shocks we took off were shot, it's almost as quiet as an electric car now (auto trans).

Fronts weren't as worn out as the rears, but the ride is nice (no complaints here).

Our 90 has rims/tires that are "too big" on there (215/70/16), and they used to rub the fender lip under a hard corner/bump combo, but this no longer happens because of the increased damping.

Big Brakes and UCA Bushings next.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monroe "Summer Truck Shock Sale" Consumer Rebate=$20.00 rebate check for a set of 4

http://www.monroe.com/promotions

Advance Auto Parts.com Promo Code P20=20% off

Advance Auto free shipping on orders over $75

I landed a set of 4 for < $133.00 not including state tax.

-$20.00 rebate

rebate ends in June.

Cheers
dspieg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Monroe vs. Koni? Reply with quote

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I have 2wd passenger van ('86 GL) and am planning to replace the springs with Carat springs (I want to be about 1" lower all around) and was planning to replace the shocks with Konis -- but after reading this thread on the Monroes I'm starting to wonder if the Konis will be "enough better" to warrant their much higher cost.

I've had Konis on many cars over the years (a wide range of Fiats, Alfas, a Lancia, and VWs) and from my experience Konis are the best street shocks in the known universe. They've significantly improved every car I've put them on and I've never had a problem with one. But they aren't cheap, and I have no experience with Monroes, other than having noted that they make most of the shocks for railroad cars Smile

So, my question. For a street-driven 2wd tintop, any recommendations on Monroe vs. Koni?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe vs. Koni? Reply with quote

we bought a set of Monroe's for our 90 Carat in Spring, and like them.

I just bought another set, and thought TS should know Monroe has their "Shocktober" event, buy 4 shocks and get a rebate for 1 of them. Buy 3 get 1 free. Til' the end of the month.

Ours cost like $80 delivered for 4 shocks after the rebate.

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/promotions/Monroe_Shocktober_Rebate_US_WEB.pdf

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just don't buy themfrom monroeoutlet.com which is just suspensipn.com took four months to get the fronts and another 2 months for the rear shocks.to save 20 bucks.should have read the reviews about them before iordered them.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: monroes with gw lift springs? Reply with quote

Will this combo (gw lift springs plus Monroe coil-overs) work, or better off with bils (also from gw)?

Last edited by luVWagn on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will it work with westy being heavier on one side?
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on rock auto. They always have valid 5% off coupon codes. Just search google. They are only for online orders and basically cover shipping. Worth it though since it is offered.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe front shock Reply with quote

My Monroes (Gas Magnums) came with flat steel washer and rubber bushings, but with a cone shape top and bottom as seen below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm going to reuse the VW steel shaped washers, but I'm thinking of just installing the old flat top/bottom rubber bushings as they seem firmer, look fine, no idea how old, but say West Germany on them, along with VW P/N, so probably original. Any thoughts suggestions?
See below (not mine)

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe front shock Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
My Monroes (Gas Magnums) came with flat steel washer and rubber bushings, but with a cone shape top and bottom as seen below.

I'm going to reuse the VW steel shaped washers, but I'm thinking of just installing the old flat top/bottom rubber bushings as they seem firmer, look fine, no idea how old, but say West Germany on them, along with VW P/N, so probably original. Any thoughts suggestions?
See below (not mine)

I re-installed the OEM washers and rubbers and have had no issues with unwanted tightness or looseness. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe front shock Reply with quote

If I may, Id like to report that I finally got around to replacing all 4 of my KYB gas a just shocks with these Monroe gas magnums from rock auto for 100 bucks for a full set. It is a huge improvement. I'm running a fairly light tintop 2WD. I'm happy with these shocks and they are much cheaper than a lot of whats on the market.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe front shock Reply with quote

I replaced what appeared to be the original Boge struts and shocks 2 years ago. I installed a set of Gabriel 69861 front struts, and ACDELCO 53050 shocks on the rear, which is another name for the Gabriel 69858 ordered from Rock Auto on closeout. $70 for the entire order. On a tintop with stock springs it was a great improvement. No more nose dive. Smooth over speed bumps. Still happy with the ride but I will be replacing the front springs with Moog 5658 coils to gain a little height. It is currently at 16 from hub to fender well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbuzzell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Monroe front shock Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a quick question here.

I ordered Monroe 37348s for the front of my 82 westy.

They just came in the mail and I can't help but notice that it takes almost a full minute for the shocks to recoil after being fully depressed.

In comparison, I also received a pair of sachs 555 273s for my jetta wagon today. After being fully compressed these rebound in roughly 7 seconds (more or less as I expected).

A full minute for a brand new shock to rebound is ridiculous right? I should send these back?

Thanks,
Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: