Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time to restore my 79 Riviera! (Heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the shade of your wheels is going to affect the miles of smiles you will get from this bus. What a great resto. I always liked that color combo. Thanks for sharing your progress. It gives us DYI'ers hope!
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this should really be a follow up post to this topic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498601

But I figured it has most definitely become part of my build so I wanted to finish it up here.

As you can see from the other thread I realized after I got my paint that I had a "dent" in the rail for the sliding door hinge. It made it very difficult to close the door without people thinking there had been some sort of explosion or car accident, so I took busdaddy's advice and had it welded. I work in the Tug and Barge biz here in Seattle and the guys in my shop are pretty bad-ass welders (most are Coast Guard and ABS certified). So after much deliburation we hatched a plan. Lots of water and wet rags and just one litte "buzzt" at a time. Buzzt, cool down with wet rage, buzzt, cool down with wet rag and so on. While I was at it I sprung for a very nicely refurbished early Bay hinge assembly (love the chrome), that is when I realized that my hinge was beyond shot. With the weld job, new hinge, and clean up and lube of all other door parts I can't believe how smoothly my door opens and shuts. Not to mention stays open, I got a spring for the little flipper that latches the door open, very nice to have in Seattle.

Out with the old, in with the new

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ready to weld

a little grinding

I forgot to get a picture before I put it all back together so this is not the best but you can see how flat the top of the rail is now.

BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so stoked that I got my drivers seat back today that I had to share! It was obviously done by the same guy that did the back and it looks killer. He said he would have the passenger seat done by the end of the week. I have been driving around with one seat for about a month now so that will be nice. I purchased a set of seat heaters and had already done all of the wiring so today it was just plug and play. I am sure it will be great tomorrow morning on the way to work when it is in the 20s.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I got a killer deal on the heaters (link below). It was so good compared to others I had seen for sale that I was a little suspicious. But they showed up and my upholstery guy said they seem as good as any he has installed before. When I switched them on today they warmed my ass nicely!

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/universal-11--x-19...r-kit.html

Not the best picture

Seat heater switch

One more thing to add, I finally cracked the whip on the wife and she is getting the curtains finished up.

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! A real transformation!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know how i missed this thread...but i love your bus! when can i come see it in person?

DANG i wish i could afford 80 dollars for seat heaters....that looks like an amazing deal....and the would be fantastic for road trips in the snow.... Pray

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
dont know how i missed this thread...but i love your bus! when can i come see it in person?

Thanks!
Swing through Ballard sometime and check it out. [/quote]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Thanks!
Swing through Ballard sometime and check it out.
[/quote]

might be coming through tomorrow eve some time...will you be around? ill be coming back home from ellensburg in my westy...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so....will you be at cruise colby by chance? itll be in everett in VW alley, may 27th....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been a long time since my last post, like 7 or 8 months... Not a whole lot has been going on with the busy summer and all.

The good part of the summer was that I got my passenger seat back so the interior is pretty much done except for the laundry list of little things that I am sure I will never be totally done with.

The sad part of the summer was the realization that my engine was going down for the count. Thanks to Stuartzickefoose for helping me discover how bad my endplay was (do you thank someone for that? I guess so). Soon after that I smoked a head and it was time. After much thought, research and number crunching I decided to go for a full drop in replacement from Adrian at Headflow Masters. I was hoping to have it up and running by now but as is with all things VW the build time has stretched out a bit. I am still optimistic that she may be up and running again in the next 7 days or so. Fingers crossed!

While the engine was out and I had some time I buffed out the engine bay and made it nice and shiny to go with the new engine when it goes in. I did a few other things like new vapor lines throughout, filler neck, etc. I also decided to pull out the sound deadening insulation and the grating (not sure what else to call it) that holds it up and restore or replace it. I was shocked to find how good of a condition the insulation was in, the plastic is completely intact with no holes or tears. All I had to do was brush off some dust with a dry rag and they look like new. The grating also looks good except for the sag.

The one question I have is about the grating, I have read all the threads I can find about them and I see lots of discussion about how to replace them but only a couple mentions on how to flatten them out again. Is there a good way to do this? Should I just get them damp and pile on a ton of books or is there some sort of trick?

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts and stay tuned for engine install pics.

Adrain sent me this picture of the engine last week.

Cleaned up and ready!

The insulation dusted off

The grating

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a thread around here on that grate material. i think the best idea there was basically wet it a bit and then books or similar to hold it flat while it dries out.

looking great! need help with install at all?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoyWonder wrote:
The one question I have is about the grating, I have read all the threads I can find about them and I see lots of discussion about how to replace them but only a couple mentions on how to flatten them out again. Is there a good way to do this? Should I just get them damp and pile on a ton of books or is there some sort of trick?

I had good luck flattening my kick panels using a steam iron, a squirt bottle with water, and towels. I realize this panel is quite a bit thicker, but the it seems like the technique should still apply.

Place the grating on a flat surface and spray liberally with water, then place a damp cloth over it. Now use the hot iron to force steam into the grating, using as much heat as seems enough to get things steaming well. The damp cloth holds the moisture against the grating and also helps prevent burning it. Repeat the water spraying and ironing as you move along until the whole thing has become noticeably flatter. At this point, stop adding water and keep heating with the iron while keeping the grating flat so as to boil off some of the excess moisture. When done, cover with a flat sheet of plywood or other rigid material and pile on the books. Leave it to dry overnight and it should come out flat.
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Time to restore my 79 Riviera! Reply with quote

I wanted to do a follow from when I put my new engine in last year.

I installed the engine last August and it has taken lots of fussing around and fixing things but after a year I think I finally have a good smooth running engine. I can’t say that I am happy with the process but I think I am happy with the final result. I also picked up a child’s-cot and installed that for the boy and got a Bus Depot Add-a-Room. We had a couple great camping trips this summer.

One other thing I did recently was made contact with the PO that had the Bus before me. I sent him a letter with some pictures of the restore and some pictures I scanned in of the Bus from various road trips. He sent me a response with some stories about his time with the Bus, it was a cool experience.

Still in the crate

Fresh instal

The boy in the cot

Add-a-Room

Below are a couple of the old pics I scanned in.

Highway 50, “The Loneliest Road in America”

The Intercostal Waterway near Cape Fear, NC

The Blue Ridge Parkway

Devils Tower

Capital Building

Gateway Arch

And one good old fashion glory shot!

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean bus! I love it toby! Thanks for sharing Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! As a former Washingtonian, I love the shot in front of the Capital. I can't remember when you could still park there, those spots are all designated now( don't even try parking there now) , must have been when the Bus was new!
BoyWonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
Great story! As a former Washingtonian, I love the shot in front of the Capital. I can't remember when you could still park there, those spots are all designated now( don't even try parking there now) , must have been when the Bus was new!

I took that picture in the summer of 1997. It was a Sunday and parking wa easy to find!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: