Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New fuel system, wanting to add a tank to pump side filter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
So, I stopped at Napa.. and their part is 3299. 9 dollars. CHEEP.

This is a 1/2" intake, and a 1/2" outlet

In doing the Inch to MM conversion, that's close enough. I can get a 12mm hose on that..

Steel body, disposable fuel filter. WIX.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
what is the part number of this one??
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those generic inline filter are available most anywhere, but as stated before they may not be able to handle the flow rate of a FI system which can be many times that of a carbureted system.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Those generic inline filter are available most anywhere, but as stated before they may not be able to handle the flow rate of a FI system which can be many times that of a carbureted system.
yes but very little fuel psi from tank to pump right?
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
yes but very little fuel psi from tank to pump right?
Yes, there is very little pressure to force fuel through the filter which could result in the pump cavitating. A prepump filter should have either a large filter area, a course filter medium, or both.

I have never tried using one of the later round FI filters as a prefilter. While it has a fairly fine medium, it is at least fairly large. Maybe someone who has tried using one of the later style filters as a prefilter will comment.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nearly a year on this setup, seems to work fine.

Dude at Napa had this to say when I asked him about any restriction..

It is used for many applications, but alot of people used them on 305/350 engines

I found it overkill for a 4 banger.

dont run a filter, see what happens..

Run a filter.. See what happens.

Either you replace a pump sooner, or later. Its really up to you.

I decided to see what comes of running a filter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
I've nearly a year on this setup, seems to work fine.

Dude at Napa had this to say when I asked him about any restriction..

It is used for many applications, but alot of people used them on 305/350 engines

I found it overkill for a 4 banger.

dont run a filter, see what happens..

Run a filter.. See what happens.

Either you replace a pump sooner, or later. Its really up to you.

I decided to see what comes of running a filter.

I have been running Vanagons as daily drivers for twenty plug years at this point and excepting a couple of years of driving a 83 1/2 with a stock cube prefilter I have never had a problem, in particular no pump failures at all. I do have stock tanks and not aftermarket ones.

These cheapy inline filters were very common add ons to almost all engines back before fuel injection became common place. What might have worked very well on a 350 with a 4 barrel may not work all that well with a FI 4 banger that actually flows much more fuel. It could be that their media is actually so course it doesn't cause any problem, but I personally would prefer a filter with a much larger media area.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, the pump circulates about a gallon per minute back to the tank. That would be 60 gallons per hour. You would want to know what the filter's flow rate is. As the filter starts to accumulate crud, the flow rate will suffer. Any restriction on the inlet of the pump is not good for it. Crud is also not good for the filter either. So, use an adequate filter as suggested or possibly a filter that you can tie the FI return into before it returns to the tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: