Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Over-riders/Bumperguards Mounting
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
werker
Redwood Wrencher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Over-riders/Bumperguards Mounting Reply with quote

Howdy,
Does anybody have a picture or diagram of how the late model over-riders mount to the bumper? Bentley doesn't show this and I am looking for how to mount them before getting to far down the line on purchasing a set. Are there any external bits that I need to install with them or do I just need to purchase the over-riders themselves?

These:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Proud Member #8, SBS (Stock Bus Society)
---------------------------------------
Gremlin Killer
Robert Bills wrote:
The guys on this forum can talk you through any issues you may have. Don't give up on the fuel injection - your Type 3 will thank you.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I save all the brackets/hardware, when I salvage my used over riders. Rusty Used ones is all you will find for sale.

P.S. Keep all your questions in Your Build Thread, so we can keep your car straight from a fastback! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a threaded rod coming out of the back of the overider that goes through the bump and if I remember correctly a flattish bracket and then a bolt. Anybody who takes one off a bump to sell you has almost got to have the piece in order to get it off the previous bumper. You could probably substitute a washer for the flat piece? I got mine off a junker at a parts pull place. I'd buy the overider if I could find it, there don't seem to be many for late models out there.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long threaded bolt coming out the back of the overider replaces the inner most bolt on each side of the bumper. The only modification that needs to be done is drilling a hole through the rubber bumper strip.
werker
Redwood Wrencher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
P.S. Keep all your questions in Your Build Thread, so we can keep your car straight from a fastback!

I'll try, but I have so many questions! And some of them seem worthy of their own thread in the future....

For the record..
Mine:

Not mine (... but I love the stance Twisted Evil )

I've got a line on some over-riders and the front bumper rubber. Once they arrive I'll post pics of the install to complete the story.
Proud Member #8, SBS (Stock Bus Society)
---------------------------------------
Gremlin Killer
Robert Bills wrote:
The guys on this forum can talk you through any issues you may have. Don't give up on the fuel injection - your Type 3 will thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: