Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

Okie dokie!!! My bad!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

Dan,
my post was in reference to the 'quoted' comment above that uses butane canisters.. they are 8oz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

the green canisters of propane are 16oz, not 8.

i use the refillable Flame King 16.4 oz canisters... work great! DOT approved and refill easy.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Looks promising, more compact and easily stowed than the Little Buddy, the one I’m going to try:

https://nomadicaoutfitters.com/collections/heaters/products/kovea-cupid-portable-heater

interesting for spot warming.

Fuel: Butane (Nozzle type gas canister)
Consumption: 71g/h (840kcal / 3,333BTU /0.98kW)

butane is 21640BTU per pound.
the canisters are 8oz.. is that weight or volume?
so thats 10,820btu per can.
so about 3hrs per can about a buck an hour..

Last edited by danfromsyr on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

Looks promising, more compact and easily stowed than the Little Buddy, the one I’m going to try:

https://nomadicaoutfitters.com/collections/heaters/products/kovea-cupid-portable-heater
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

I have a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Radiant Heater. As to how much to open a window for ventilation, I actually read the owner's manual! In the part that nobody reads, the "General Safety Instructions," it says:

"This heater requires a vent area of 9 square inches (example 3” x 3” opening) minimum for adequate ventilation during operation."

That means that one of the 29" wide front door windows needs to be rolled down about 0.3". And I suspect that the 9 square inches is a very conservative number.

As for me, I roll down both windows about 1/2" just to be sure.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

on the stove, i have perfect blue flame with white tips. puts out CO like crazy as does ANY indoor propane cooking stove.

the Buddy uses a cermaic catalyst to turn the flame into a glowing substrate. very clean.

the O2 sensing on the Buddy and other propane heaters is is not some high tech device that measures the oxygen, but is just the relationship between how the pilot flame burns and the position of the thermocouple that keeps the gas valve open. As the oxygen level decreases the flame pulls away from the thermocouple and the gas valve shuts off. it works but is also why Buddy heaters don't like real high altitudes.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

I have read that yellow flame is an indicator of CO production. Set/clean/maintain/etc your burners for blue flame.

A buddy heater on high, and maybe dirty/old etc (????) can havre orange flame.
I don't know if orange counts as yellow.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Nice revival Wink

I moved on from the Buddy. My CO alarm went off a couple of times I forgot to open the windows. My bus was also heavily endowed by moisture from the LP combustion, and I could tell that was just not a good long term solution.

hmmmm.... as an experiment, i sealed up my van and ran the Buddy to see what the CO level would do. after a couple hours, the flame extinguished via the oxygen deprivation safety feature and the digital CO detector stayed at zero.

what WILL spike the CO detector immediately is running the stove for a pot of coffee.

yes, the moisture is a problem. gotta have venting open but you do even if there is no propane heater inside.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

Nice revival Wink

I moved on from the Buddy. My CO alarm went off a couple of times I forgot to open the windows. My bus was also heavily endowed by moisture from the LP combustion, and I could tell that was just not a good long term solution.

Not knocking those who do use them, but the are costly in different ways. Death would be the ultimate cost. Smaller creatures, like 3 dogs, perhaps, might expire more quickly than you, and then IF you woke up, you would get to have that on your shoulders, too.

Read the CDH thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9241284
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

Just came across this thread. Thought I would add to the discussion by sharing my own post on how I typically use the Little Buddy while supporting local cafes...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685759&highlight=
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot. As purchased, it is the only portable heater I found that will run overnight on low if I want/need it to. I think it's internal dual bottles will let it run about 11 hours. However, I purchased a full size RV propane bottle and a 15 foot hose that allows it to run for a reeeeaaaallly long time if I were to need it. I have not perfected a tank mount but am thinking roof mounted, or simply on the ground with the hose running in the window. So there is the ability to make one of these semi permanent or seasonal. I mount mine on the back of the passenger front seat, but have built a bracket I have not yet mounted as I'm still thinking.

As another bonus, I can also use it in the Mitsubishi Van and have used it in the LandCruiser as well where I mount it on the overhead grab handle farthest back in the cargo/sleeping area. We've also used it in the boat cabin. So if you have other vehicles the portability works for you there also.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

I think you just justified what is best for you, Waldo !! Wink
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

I'm actually a big fan of my Big Buddy as well.

Portability means I can use the thing sitting outside the van on a cool night when open fires are not allowed.
I can also use it inside my house as an emergency heat source.
It has a built in fan that uses replaceable batteries to circulate air around the interior.'
I have a couple ways to hang/mount it that reduces the space issue.
We use it to heat the van prior to bed, then turn it down to the pilot light and it keeps our insulated van comfortable all night. Then the first one up turns the knob to low and it heats the interior before we officially crawl out of the bed.
In summer, we don't carry it.
We leave it on when out of the van for a few hours on winter trips. Awesome - like coming home to a warm house, it's so cheery.
Now I find out it can even keep my coffee warm! (Thanks, Sodo).

Downsides:
I can forget to pack it.
I do worry about combustibles getting in front of it.
Though they're everywhere, it requires me to carry propane bottle spares just in case, though it's the same thing our two burner camp stove uses for uniformity of fuel.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

That's the same type of heater as is discussed in the thread I linked above and my inquiry was specifically regarding what advantages the heater buddy would have over that type of heater.

WestyBob wrote:
Some Buddy upsides:

(1) They are portable.
(2) They don't require drilling holes in the rig.
(3) They are easy and quick to set up.
(4) If used correctly you shouldn't have condensation plus rusting to a nub.
(5) They heat the westie up very quickly - even the small one.
(6) I think they are cheaper than an on-board system ?

Here's my take on those 'upsides'.

(1) Being portable is a disadvantage, IMO, as opposed to a decent install in an appropriate location. Portable means that it is in the way taking up prime real estate. Installed intelligently means that it is in a permanent location out of the way and taking up space that is difficult to access for easy storage.
(2) I'm not a purist. I like to do quality work that meets or exceeds the original factory designs, but holes that fit that description don't bother me.
(3) There is the initial installation to consider for the Webasto style heater, but once installed nothing is easier or quicker to 'set up' than a heater that is already installed and just needs a button pushed.
(4) That's not an upside over no additional humidity at all being introduced to the vehicle.
(5) Similarly, that isn't an upside to the heater buddy over one of the webasto style heaters. If anything the webasto style will do a better job of heating up the vehicle as it doesn't require additional ventilation.
(6) I haven't priced out the heater buddy prior to seeing the link that was posted to the one on Amazon costing 180 euros. At that price the Webasto knock-off is less expensive.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

I hope I'm not repeating anything in this long thread but in Portland (OR) over the past months there has been what seems to be a small but growing 'run' on a Wabasto diesel heater kit -- I think this is it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-5KW-Diesel-Air-Heat...gIAk_D_BwE

It's actually available from other sources like Amazon too but a nearby friend got his for $160 and by the time installation was complete (he and a friend) it came to $200. I know of three others who have purchased/installed with one intending right now so you could say it's become 'all the rage'.

I did see up close my friend's in operation -- whisper quiet with a 10 liter tank and a remote. He said it's been operating perfectly so far but ask him in five years and we'll see Wink
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

I am a desert camper 95% of the time so the extra moisture does not even register. In the winter in Taos you get some condensation on the windows in the morning but its gone soon after you get going.
As far as danger , math is your friend. Just calculate the BTUs and make sure you have right number of square inches open to the outside and you CANNOT die.
I recognize that this board errs waaay on the side of caution and thats fine but many many people run these units in all sorts of campers and tents and live to tell the tale. The only danger is you forgetting to crack the windows the correct amount.
Safety is about understanding the actual risks and deciding what is right for you.
Many people would never get in a vintage van because of lack of air bags and crumple zones.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

Yipes! Back when I was in my 20s I did a cross country trip in a '74 westy with one of those (no heat otherwise). No thanks! I STILL have a headache from it. Razz

And I wouldn't be stupid enough to run a portable heater inside my vehicle while driving.

I wouldn't either, now.

WestyBob wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
The amount of water that is put into the air is significant.

Well, if properly vented the exiting residual heat shoves a lot of that (moisture)outside fairly quickly.

The amount of moisture added to the vehicle is proportional to the amount of added heat. To 'properly' vent the moisture, you would need to exchange enough air that you wouldn't get any heat benefit from running the heater.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

My wife is my Little Buddy and she keeps me very warm at night in the Dub.

Craig
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Buddy-type portable heater for Van? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
westyventures wrote:
These silly flame heads that screw onto a bottle? O.M.G. - why? Might as well use the Westy stovetop.

F) Calling it a "silly flame head" shows you don't know the product and, perhaps, should refrain from making inflammatory (pun intended) remarks regarding them.

You don't have to agree, but I M O the 'Stansport' rudimentary 'heater' is unsafe to have inside a van, regardless of whether you're careful with it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: