Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Standard Sunbug questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: 74 Standard Sunbug questions Reply with quote

I have some interior questions for someone with an original non super beetle sunbug. I do not believe the standard sunbugs has all the luxury interior upgrades the super beetle sunbugs had. Am i correct with the following:

Did Standard sunbugs have cordoroy inserts in the seats or did they just had the regular vinyl?
Were the seats and door panels in the standard Mocha brown (coffee with light cream) or "nut" brown (coffee no cream)
Did the standard sunbug have the pressed / woven carpeting same as the regular standard with rubber floor mats or the better loop pile in brown / gold ?
No wooden apliques on the dash on the standard?
Did the standard Sunbug have the padded / grained steering wheel?
They did have the special shift knob.

Thanks for the help.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT Garwood's book "The Car of the Century" has some info on the Factory Custom Sun Bugs - which began production in Jan 74. This is a summary of what it describes:

-Two different shades of "Harvest Gold Metallic" were used. L98C and L99B.

- M560 Sunroof included, of course.

- Corduroy inserts on front and rear seats. "Nut Brown" color.

- Matching "Nut Brown" door panels, and full carpet instead of rubber floor mats.

- Special Sun Bug shift knob.

- Padded Sport Steering Wheel, slightly thicker than stock, silver Wolfsburg Emblem silkscreened on.

-34mm offset 4.5Jx15 "Sport" wheels with the small plastic hub cap and lug bolt covers.

-Sun Bug decklid logo. (with a note that they were supposed to be dealer-installed, and often were not. And the ones that were installed quickly suffered sun-fading)

- The Custom (standard) Sun bugs were more common than Supers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inserts were not always part of the sunbug options. I have a 74 Super SunBug and it never came with the inserts. It did have the nut brown door panels, sqareweave seat covers, woodgrain dash, padded wheel. It did have the shifter knob (but it was missing when I got it).

I have seen other original Sun Bugs without the inserts in the seat covers as well. mine was original as it was parked since '79 thought it had seen better days. Looks much better now.

Also I believe it was only 1 gold offerred in 74. There was a different shade offerred in 75 and newer though (darker IIRC)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COTC mentions in both the Custom, Super and Convertible sub-sections the two versions of Harvest Gold used in 74. The only model he mentions could have the non-cord seats were 'verts... but I would not be surprised that those were observationa he made of the cars that came though the dealership where he worked at that time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a sunroof model and I have personally seen 2 others that did not have the inserts. Maybe it was done by location??
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Darby. I have scrapped a few "too far gone" Sun Bugs both standard and Super. I have encountered standards with the wood grain on the dash but I understand that this was purchased from the dealer and didn't come with it. None of the Sun Bugs I had came with the cord seat inserts, they were all the brown vinyl but a different pattern (squareweave). Both cars had the regular shift knob unfortunately, and none had the Sun Bug engine lid emblem. Those were a dealer add on.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On carpet, my standard came with tan squareweave like Wolfsburgwest shows on their website.

My steering wheel was a regular type (with the padded center pad)... wich could've been replaced by the PO since a few parts were swapped at one point.

oemwolf
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.wilson wrote:
On carpet, my standard came with tan squareweave like Wolfsburgwest shows on their website.

My steering wheel was a regular type (with the padded center pad)... wich could've been replaced by the PO since a few parts were swapped at one point.

When I picked up my '73 it came with a '74 Sun Bug parts car. The PO had put the Sun Bug steering wheel on the '73 in addition to swapping out the engine and front seats. Unfortunately he had sold or trashed the rest of the goodies.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
a.wilson wrote:

When I picked up my '73 it came with a '74 Sun Bug parts car. The PO had put the Sun Bug steering wheel on the '73 in addition to swapping out the engine and front seats. Unfortunately he had sold or trashed the rest of the goodies.

Yeah, sure is bad.
Back before companies were reproducing later '73-79 floor pans, the PO had to replace both pan halves [due to rust] with whatever the dealership could get at that time. Needless to say they only could get 71-72 pans.. and he had to swap out front seats since that was all he could use. Sad

oemwolf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: