Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where is 2nd Gear? **RESOLVED**
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Where is 2nd Gear? **RESOLVED** Reply with quote

1975 Westfalia camper. 2.0L engine, just swapped a 091 transmission into it.

When I hooked it up (before adjusting anything), I could get 1, 3rd, and 4th easily. I could find reverse with a bit of fussing. No 2nd at all.

I mucked around with the stop plate, and was able to get 2nd, but then I only had 1st, 2nd, and reverse. Looks like I can get all the gears, but not all at once Very Happy

Poked my head under the bus, and realized the front shift rod bushing was gone. Installed one today. Shifts a bit nicer, but still can't get all the gears at the same time.

Now for a couple questions.

1) The Bentley manual says to get it in 2nd, then adjust the gearshift handle so that it is at a 90° angle from the floor of the bus. Does that mean vertical (90° from every place you can put the square) or just from left-right ways?

2) Am I missing something simple to check? I spent a good couple hours searching and read a bunch of threads before positng.

3) Does anyone have any stop plate adjusting secrets to share?

Thanks for any help you may have.

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Last edited by drober23 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shift coupler isn't hitting the crossmember in front of the transmission is it?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As close to vertical as possible. Did you inspect the coupler, front bushing under the shifter area and donut in the nosecone?
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is 2nd Gear? Reply with quote

drober23 wrote:
1) The Bentley manual says to get it in 2nd, then adjust the gearshift handle so that it is at a 90° angle from the floor of the bus. Does that mean vertical (90° from every place you can put the square) or just from left-right ways?

It means perpendicular to the floor. 90 degrees and vertical are all the same. That's the adjusting secret.
Have someone shift it while you check the shift coupler for slop. Learn how the shift coupler movement relates to which gear it shifts into and manually nudge it into 2nd to confirm that it should and it can get into second.
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into those this evening when I get home.

Wildthings: I didn't think to check about it hitting the crossmember. I'll re-read some threads on swapping in an 091 and check that.

SGKent: New front bushing (under the shifter), new coupler. Did not inspect the donut in the nosecone.

Desertbusman: Thanks for the secret Smile

(more busses than sense)

drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wildthings is onto something here. I had read the quoted post in the past, but somehow managed to forget it. The 091 transmission is longer than the 5-rib that I replaced.

Quote:
Scotty Lyons wrote:
"I'm pretty sure you can take the nose cose and selector shaft off of the 003 in your 73 and swap them onto the new 091 and it will all work."

Joey wrote:
"I didn't swap the nose cone on mine (didn't know at the time ), I just pushed the tranny and engine as far ahead as possible. I had to slightly bend the crossmember above the shift linkage up and out of the way. The end result is the gear shift lever is aimed slightly back a bit ..shifts fine, just further away from the dash than normal."

I'm going to look for interference from the crossmember. This bus isn't pristine by any means, so if it is interfering, I will try to bend the crossmember a bit and see if it helps.

(more busses than sense)

drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: 091 Transmission into a '75 Bus Shifting Issues - *RESOLVED* Reply with quote

The 091 Transmission is about an inch longer than the 5-rib transmission I replaced it with. When I just slapped it in, I could not get 2nd, and reverse and 4th were dicey.

I did not do anything with the shift rod length. So today I removed the front-most grub screw, and pulled it apart. Then I drilled a new "divot" in the shaft, about an inch behind the existing divot. I lined the shaft back up, and tightened the grub screw (and replaced the retaining wire) which effectively shortened the shaft an inch.

Now I can get all my gears! But, the rear coupler was banging against the crossmember it passes through near the transmission. I only needed to deflect the crossmember about 1/4" forward to keep it out of contact with the coupler.

I have all my gears now! The whole pattern is shifted a bit further forward than I am used to, but nothing is uncomfortable to reach. 3rd does get a little closer to the parking brake handle than I would like though.

If I decide I don't like it, I may try drilling yet another divot halfway between the two and see if I can still get all my gears.

Thanks for the advice and ideas!

(more busses than sense)

Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you have your bus moving. Have you considered a bend in the gear shifter so the knob doesn't hit the parking brake handle?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 091 Transmission into a '75 Bus Shifting Issues - *RESOL Reply with quote

drober23 wrote:
The 091 Transmission is about an inch longer than the 5-rib transmission I replaced it with. When I just slapped it in, I could not get 2nd, and reverse and 4th were dicey.

I did not do anything with the shift rod length. So today I removed the front-most grub screw, and pulled it apart. Then I drilled a new "divot" in the shaft, about an inch behind the existing divot. I lined the shaft back up, and tightened the grub screw (and replaced the retaining wire) which effectively shortened the shaft an inch.

I have all my gears now! The whole pattern is shifted a bit further forward than I am used to, but nothing is uncomfortable to reach. 3rd does get a little closer to the parking brake handle than I would like though.

If I decide I don't like it, I may try drilling yet another divot halfway between the two and see if I can still get all my gears.

I think the actual difference in length is only about 1/2 inch, so yes you went too far and if you can get away with drilling another hole between the present two you should be okay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: