Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts on reaching a mechanical nirvana: Is it possible?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on reaching a mechanical nirvana: Is it possible? Reply with quote

I think I'm there.

Having replaced lots of stuff the Spring, I think I'm pretty close to the promised land. My sweat equity is paying off.

This is where I would want to be if I was leaving for an extended trip.

Is a state of mechanical nirvana possible, or do most of you, like me- have periods of operation punctuated by down time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is definatly a honeymoon period, after you have finished the big project and chased out all the bugs, and you can just enjoy the fruit of your efforts.
And in this state of bliss, you see something else that wants your attention. And you start another mental list of the next round of projects...
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^x2

Reaching? Yes - with time & effort...
Enjoying w/o additional effort? Yes - for a SHORT time...
Maintaining longterm w/o additional effort? Now you've gone all silly...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality we probably bit off more than we should've considering we started working on it right after we bought it... We've probably got about 40-60 hours of actual labor into it over the last 4 weeks.

- Pull out interior, clean everything, build up new subfloor and pergo
- Go through engine, suspension, drivetrain
- Aux battery, solar panel, yandina
- Delete fridge, ARB fridge
- New propane tank
- New stereo and wiring
- Misc other bits and pieces

We're on the home stretch but I can't definitely feel the momentum starting to fade- hopefully we'll get a longggg honeymoon period before anything goes wrong. <I can't believe you guys don't have the :beer: emoticon!>
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On every trip we keep a written log of daily activities in a 4x6 spiral notebook. The last page of the book is always titled "Things to do on the Van". Never seem to come home w/o a half dozen items but no show-stoppers for the most part.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and then after you do something...like take out the interior, you later realize that you could have done much more...like lay down sound deadening mat and add inslutaion...so you find yourself taking out the interior, again and again and again.

Remember to love the process, it's much easier to do if you also go to places you have never been and then just keep going, all the effort becomes well worth it. Laughing Laughing
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
...On every trip we keep a written log of daily activities in a 4x6 spiral notebook...

I highlight things I have done and have to do lists there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

States with safety inspection will help with this. Bad suspension/brake/fuel lines/tires/wipers/headlights.........Body rust counts as well..no holes allowed.
Fix it all and start the clock again.
Not a lot of Vanagons(or competent shops) in Pa. If you can't pass inspection(emissions too) no sticker 4 U.
Independent 3rd party shops do the inspection and their looking to make a buck so most likely you will have "something" wrong.
Can get too expensive for the non wrench to maintain.
Nice selling point tho Think
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
We've probably got about 40-60 hours of actual labor into it over the last 4 weeks.

IMPOSSIBLE!

Only if you bolted in exchange units. Then it is a stretch at that.

You may have replaced some parts but I doubt you wetn "through" those items in that time.

You have just touched the surface.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on reaching a mechanical nirvana: Is it possibl Reply with quote

wyomingresident wrote:
Is a state of mechanical nirvana possible, or do most of you, like me- have periods of operation punctuated by down time?

That depends on your definition.

Once you have replaced or repaired all subsystems you still have to maintain the van.

It hinges on what all you have done.

My 1990 Multivan has had most common wear items rebuilt or replaced. I suspect I will go into a new car mode and just go on a prudent schedule. But, if some uncommon part fails like for a totally random example, the fuse box, well that is going to take some time to figure out and fix, right? As an example I did not overhaul all the stuff under the dash like the heater. If the heater breaks, I will have down time. That was because I did not address it before. I will take the dash apart as a scheduled job when I upgrade to front AC. For now, I wing it.

You take a craps shoot on those items you do not inspect or repair a head of time and you can not know if you got a bad part or some other random thing. It is just the way it goes.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
We've probably got about 40-60 hours of actual labor into it over the last 4 weeks.

IMPOSSIBLE!

You may have replaced some parts but I doubt you wetn "through" those items in that time.

Do you guys just haze the new guys or something? I've belonged to about 10 forums of various marques and you've got the market cornered on crotchety. Funny thing about "going through"- it all depends on what you start with...

In my case, by "going through", I meant visually inspect and replace all obviously worn and malfunctioning parts including vacuum lines, wires, connectors, clamps, etc... Basically a full tune up + anything I can find a reason to replace. Upper balljoints with torn boots replaced, tie rod ends with torn boots replaced, etc etc etc... Lots and lots of little things.

The motor doesn't leak or smoke and was supposedly rebuilt in the last 10-20k, so I haven't had a reason to drop it and split the case or anything like that. I also have receipts from work already done.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
r39o wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:

IMPOSSIBLE!

Do you guys just haze the new guys or something? I've belonged to about 10 forums of various marques and you've got the market cornered on crotchety. Funny thing about "going through"- it all depends on what you start with...

In my case, by "going through", I meant visually inspect and replace all obviously worn and malfunctioning parts including vacuum lines, wires, connectors, clamps, etc... Basically a full tune up + anything I can find a reason to replace. Upper balljoints with torn boots replaced, tie rod ends with torn boots replaced, etc etc etc... Lots and lots of little things.

The motor doesn't leak or smoke and was supposedly rebuilt in the last 10-20k, so I haven't had a reason to drop it and split the case or anything like that. I also have receipts from work already done.

Lighten up, Francis.

I think what r39o is saying is that...

It NEVER ends!.....

Laughing

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.

I think what r39o is saying is that...

It NEVER ends!.....

Laughing

Thank you very little. Wink
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it never ends

The only things that I can think of that I have not replaced are front brakes and steering rack.

Do I trust the van yet - nope. It is 29 years old with 300k km on it. Some stuff you just don't think can break will be next.

After owning (read repairing) the van for 9 years I am starting to think about some of the first stuff I replaced starting to fail!

Now throw a the following variables in - (non stock) 15" rims, 2" lift, a different transmission, a different engine, modified wiring - dual batteries etc all away from the original VW design which means different stresses. CV joints at a different angle, bearings with bigger wider wheels, a heavier engine all mean less reliable.

And what of the original systems like 29 year old wiring .....

All the work we do helps make the van more reliable. We must always consider we are driving geriatric vehicles long distances.

I think there is a law somewhere that states 'Just because you replace every part on an old vehicle does not make it a new vehicle'

But ... what fun we have ...

Mike
'82 westy Diesel AAZ
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
r39o wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:

IMPOSSIBLE!

Seriously, when you say you go through something means you went through and replaced ALL the wear items.

Impossible to do in 60 hours.

I would not have a warm fuzzy feeling at this point.

You have to see how it goes and what else it is going to need.

This is the same as saying you "restored" a van and you just painted it.

A bit of overstatement at best, I think.

I have seen it time and time again when someone replaces some parts and thinks it is all good.

Call me crotchety or realistic, or what you like.

You need to do more than you stated to make it reliable.

I can tell you that I am still doing things to my 85 that I literally replaced all the parts in except the long engine in the last 5 years. I have not had to walk yet, but did find things that would have me walking if I did not deal with them almost immediately.

So it is the never ending story, even for the van I am currently refurbing with even more parts than the 85. We'll see how this Suby thing holds up.

Now go and fix some more stuff!

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:
I think there is a law somewhere that states 'Just because you replace every part on an old vehicle does not make it a new vehicle'

But ... what fun we have ...

I have even older cars. I am finding things breaking on 50 year old cars that you would never guess would fail. Seats that crack inside and slump over, for example. Gears that crack and fall off. Metal fatigue setting in. Fun, eh?

On my friends century old car the differential snapped. What fun machining a new one from a solid piece of steel that is.....

They will only last forever if we keep replacing parts forever....

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can do enough baseline type activities as you describe, so that the vehicle becomes reliable enough to get to know over the ensuing miles. At some point your mechanical knowledge of the vehicle and its normal sounds while driving become the conduit via which you constantly monitor its health. One day you notice a slight hum on the freeway if you steer slightly left which drops off when you center. So you make a mental note to order front wheel bearings next time you do the front brake pads - that sort of thing. Call it an uneasy truce.

I think when you've reached that point you've essentially become an all encompassing gauge that, along with the water temp and such, allows you to enjoy driving the vehicle.

So put some miles on that girl and start creating your mental database!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Seriously, when you say you go through something means you went through and replaced ALL the wear items.

Impossible to do in 60 hours.

I would not have a warm fuzzy feeling at this point.

You have to see how it goes and what else it is going to need.

This is the same as saying you "restored" a van and you just painted it.

A bit of overstatement at best, I think.

I have seen it time and time again when someone replaces some parts and thinks it is all good.

Call me crotchety or realistic, or what you like.

You need to do more than you stated to make it reliable.

I can tell you that I am still doing things to my 85 that I literally replaced all the parts in except the long engine in the last 5 years. I have not had to walk yet, but did find things that would have me walking if I did not deal with them almost immediately.

So it is the never ending story, even for the van I am currently refurbing with even more parts than the 85. We'll see how this Suby thing holds up.

Now go and fix some more stuff!

I guess it's a semantics problem. I consider the GoWesty vans going for $25-40k to be "restored" or in "showroom condition". "Going through it" at a mechanic usually means a full inspection and fix everything that's broken, worn or even questionable.

I'm not going to tear apart a supposedly rebuilt engine, that runs fine, with good compression just for the sake of "going through it"- nor would any mechanic that's "going through" a vehicle. That's much closer to the definition of restoration where you want it to be in the same shape it was when it left the factory.

I never said I was restoring it, or that it was going to be in as-new condition. It could blow a piston out the side of the block tomorrow, but there are currently no reasons to believe it will- that's the difference between a new / restored car and a used one, there's always going to be some doubt. And believe it or not, new parts fail too- so either way there's some risk involved and you could be stranded on the side of the road at some point. Isn't that what AAA and tow-trucks are for?

Edit: If you've got some all encompassing list of things to do / check before you take your Vanagon out for a drive, I encourage you to share it as I'm sure it would benefit owners everywhere. (Seriously)
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
...If you've got some all encompassing list of things to do / check before you take your Vanagon out for a drive, I encourage you to share it as I'm sure it would benefit owners everywhere. (Seriously)

This pretty well covers it: LINK

Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.... isn't Nirvana achieved with the absence of desire, or something like that? Well, judging by my to do list, that won't be achieved for a while! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: