Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New FI installed, runs for 1 second
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: New FI installed, runs for 1 second Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've just installed some used '79 Federal fuel injection on my 2.0 liter bus engine. Timing is spot on. No vacuum leaks that I can detect. What happens is the engine will start and die 1 second later. If you try to start it again immediately after this, it won't start. I narrowed it down to fuel pressure, I think. With the key in the run position and pushing on the air flow meter flap, it shows only 20 psi. The fuel injection I bought had 2 pressure regulators with it, so I swapped out one for the other, no change. I removed the cold start valve, it's not leaking. The injectors were sent to witchhunter who said they were all good. The fuel pump was bought used, seperate from all the other parts and so was not a part of the original system. Any ideas on how to proceed?

The only reason I decided to go with the FI is because of all the help the beautiful minds here on the samba provide. Thanks in advance for any help.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually hear the pump run when you push the flap? What happens when you pinch the return line after the FPR?
Seen the FI sticky?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have that one wire from the left side attached to the coil? I forgot it once and it sounded just like you're describing. Fires for one second then dies. I attached the wire and bingo.

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up! It's going to be something small an easy to fix that you accidentally overlooked when installing. I did the same thing last year and after almost pulling out my hair with frustration, figured out it was bad wiring by the starter.

I'd definitely check and recheck all grounds and connection. Clean them and put some dielectric grease on the grounds. Also check out the vacuum diagram floating around here somewhere. One thing that popped into my head was, is the computer also a '79 Federal or is it the one that was in your bus?
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say check your FP gauge and your fuel pump if 2 different FPR's show the same results.

It could be many things, but it has the ring of a massive vacuum leak, like a hose not properly connected to the S boot, or the AAR.

AFM plugged in?

Coil connections and FI grounds double checked?

If this is a new FI install, and it's not the FP, I bet we can solve it through a number of good pics taken from above, and of the various components. It could be sumpin' simple.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try moving this to the FI sticky. BTW - check your wires.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482560
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
try moving this to the FI sticky. BTW - check your wires.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482560

I have to say that the FI sticky seemed like a great idea, but I am not a fan of the way it is shaking out so far. FI talk just isn't happening there. I hope it improves.

tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the myriad replies folks. I was at a job for a couple of hours or else I would have replied sooner. Let's see...

"Do you actually hear the pump run when you push the flap? What happens when you pinch the return line after the FPR?
Seen the FI sticky?"

The pump is definitely running. I had it going before I ever put gas in the tank, and I can hear the gas rushing through the fuel lines while pushing in the flap. I haven't pinched the return line and will in the next time I go work on it. Sorry I should have posted in the sticky but honestly didn't see it.

"Do you have that one wire from the left side attached to the coil? I forgot it once and it sounded just like you're describing. Fires for one second then dies. I attached the wire and bingo."

If you are referring to the line that is integral with the back-up lights then yes it's on. In fact, I carefully studied the wiring diagram before and during the FI installation and am fairly certain all the wiring is where it's supposed to be. There are no PO hacks, all the wiring was left in tact.

"Don't give up! It's going to be something small an easy to fix that you accidentally overlooked when installing. I did the same thing last year and after almost pulling out my hair with frustration, figured out it was bad wiring by the starter.

I'd definitely check and recheck all grounds and connection. Clean them and put some dielectric grease on the grounds. Also check out the vacuum diagram floating around here somewhere. One thing that popped into my head was, is the computer also a '79 Federal or is it the one that was in your bus?"

Thanks walrus. I followed your thread very carefully and it was actually a motivating factor in going with FI. Small vacuum hoses are all new silicone and are definitely in the right place. Large ones are the ones that came with the FI and seem to be solid enough. I will check the grounds.

"I'd say check your FP gauge and your fuel pump if 2 different FPR's show the same results.

It could be many things, but it has the ring of a massive vacuum leak, like a hose not properly connected to the S boot, or the AAR.

AFM plugged in?

Coil connections and FI grounds double checked?"

I am suspect of the gauge. It came with the FI and is installed on the fuel rail where the test port would normally be. Pinching the return might reveal something there. AFM is definitely hooked up.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I pinched off the return line and operated the flap and the fuel pressure jumped up to 100! The gauge definitely is not at fault. Could it be that I have 2 bad pressure regulators on my hands? What are the odds of that?
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Ok I pinched off the return line and operated the flap and the fuel pressure jumped up to 100! The gauge definitely is not at fault. Could it be that I have 2 bad pressure regulators on my hands? What are the odds of that?

If you pinch the return line, then fuel can't return to the tank, and pressure just builds in the line so it would make sense that your FP would jump to 100. Just operate the flap with the fuel system open, no pinched lines. You should be running about 35psi.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

If you pinch the return line, then fuel can't return to the tank, and pressure just builds in the line so it would make sense that your FP would jump to 100. Just operate the flap with the fuel system open, no pinched lines. You should be running about 35psi.

Didn't you notice in my first post I did what you just said and the psi was 20 on two different regulators? By pinching I was doing what the others said to do.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted an answer with what is wrong. You have the link already.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:

I wouldn't let the gauge off the hook yet. The results you got were expected, but the gauge could still be way out of calibration. Perhaps it should have been reading 120 PSI, instead of 100. I highly doubt that 2 FPRs are bad and giving the same reading. My gauge recently failed while on the rail, and I was incredulous at first to believe that it could have failed, but it did.

Look for that massive vacuum leak. Whenever I have introduced a massive leak I get about 1 second before it konks out. Look around the S boot and related to ensure all is good. Post pics as I suggested.

How did you set the air bypass screw on your throttle body after the install?

How is the timing set?

Points or pertronix?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is common for an engine with a bad vacuum leak to start and run for just a second or two. Check once more that all hoses are in place. Also try removing each hose from the plenum and close off the ports temporarily with duct tape.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check the FI sticky for my progress. This is what I don't like about posting in stickies, it takes much longer to get a response than in and individual thread. I guess nobody is watching them.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: