Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15 Window Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: 15 Window Bus Reply with quote

Hi,
I am a newbie looking to buy my first bus. Like so many others, I have wanted one for years, since I was 13 and I am now in my late thirties.

I have a new question: What years were 15 window buses made?

Last edited by Spitty1974 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No It can not be done, Go buy a 21 or 23.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sventinker wrote:
No It can not be done, Go buy a 21 or 23.

Can't be done, or just should not be done because of the fact that you are altering and changing? I have seen a few people add skylights to double cabs, and even installed a bus size ragtop.

So, in terms of structure integrity it is a not a good idea, or from a purest perspective, it is a bad idea. Not question you or anyone authority, just curious as to why? Again, I am in the education phase and exploring options, to see what the possibilities.

Thanks for the reply.

Spitty
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it be done? Yes. Will you be ridiculed for doing it? Most likely.

For what you would have in sheet metal, sunroof mechanism, windows, etc and to pay someone to install it, you would be better off with purchasing a 21/23 window bus. And to top it off you still won't have an original window bus.

My 2 cents is that its not worth the time, money or energy.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
duhbrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15>23

pondoras box wrote:
We complain about people "flipping" cars on here but we have no problem hitting up Amazon or Walmart for flipping cheap foreign junk!
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-wood Todd wrote:
Can it be done? Yes. Will you be ridiculed for doing it? Most likely.

For what you would have in sheet metal, sunroof mechanism, windows, etc and to pay someone to install it, you would be better off with purchasing a 21/23 window bus. And to top it off you still won't have an original window bus.

My 2 cents is that its not worth the time, money or energy.

Thank you for the info and your honesty.

I guess in reality I may just have to get a 15 window deluxe or wait to find the right 21 window. I know deals come up now and then, but they seem to keep getting more expensive, even with much rust repair needed.

I do plan to stretch the project out over several years do to the cost of everything. Your point is well taken with the additional cost and in the end. I also can appreciate not altering the original design.

I was just wondering if it was a realistic option, I am learning quickly it is not and also considered a no-no.
Thanks for the response.
Spitty
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy that 15 window in a heartbeat....and keep it that way. 15 window deluxes with 40hp rule!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DavidKvapil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 window buses are awesome, and from what I've seen are rarer than window buses. I'm hoping to pick one up within the next year or so. Buy the 15 window and leave it as-is, or buy a 21/23 window.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can be done but to do everything "right," if you are paying someone to do it, you will end up spending more than the same condition 21-Window as the 15-Window you are looking at it would cost.

You don't just weld in the window openings cut a big hole for a sunroof assembly - there is a lot more than that, including adding belly pans underneath and all the inner skylight and sunroof pieces.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
voo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not endorsing your conversion, however it most definitely can be done. Should you? Well its my beleif you should do whatever the hell you want to your bus. I personally would'nt choose a 15 window bus because they have great value and disiriablity on their own. No one knows what you payed/paying for the 15 window so to say its easier/cheaper in the long run is simply assumption on their part. Myself if i was gonna do it I'd just pick up a more common 13 window and convert it to 21.

Heres a thread on the subject from a local socal metal man.Call him for a price if your interested.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

Also search for Jer*fab he has the skills to pull it off also, if you choose to.
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine. Do you have the inner panels in your factory roof? Don't be scared like others. If you want it done then go for it. Give the forum 2 weeks to trade you a 23 window for your 15 window. If no trades then make it what you want. That should take away any guilt you may be feeling from the other folks view. There may be some rust up there where the skylights go and it needs to be removed. While you are there why not slap in the skylights. Wa La.
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it has not been mentioned yet.

You can do as you please to your bus because it is yours.

In reality most buses get sold at some point in their life. I have seen fake 23 deluxe never sell for a decent price unless the seller finds a unsuspecting buyer that can't tell the difference and gets ripped off.

A nicely restored 15 deluxe will bring a hell of a lot more money than a hacked 23 deluxe.

So if you like spending a bunch of money and then loosing money when you need to sell because you got bored or need the money. Then bite the bullet.

If you like being deceptive then you can lie about it.

Point is very few people keep their hack buses then try to pass them off for what they are not.

Fake 21's do come up for sell, so wait and watch and you could get a deal without all the work.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21/23 windows are way overrated most of the new to bus people that i have known over the years get 21/23's then sell them soon after
mostly cause you can't really do much with them like camp or haul stuff in it without risking ruining the inside

i would find someone with a 21/23 and spend some time driving or riding in it before you buy one

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
Since it has not been mentioned yet.

You can do as you please to your bus because it is yours.

In reality most buses get sold at some point in their life. I have seen fake 23 deluxe never sell for a decent price unless the seller finds a unsuspecting buyer that can't tell the difference and gets ripped off.

A nicely restored 15 deluxe will bring a hell of a lot more money than a hacked 23 deluxe.

So if you like spending a bunch of money and then loosing money when you need to sell because you got bored or need the money. Then bite the bullet.

If you like being deceptive then you can lie about it.

Point is very few people keep their hack buses then try to pass them off for what they are not.

Fake 21's do come up for sell, so wait and watch and you could get a deal without all the work.

i agree.....its your money do whatever you like,but if you do sell it on,be curtious to the potential buyer and let them know exactly what they are buying.

www.themetalsurgeon.com

1953 PreA 356 Porsche concours quality for sale.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

www.themetalsurgeon.com .....know whats under your paint.....

....its not where you're from,its where you're at ....
Quote. Ian Brown(Stone Roses)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kanniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy your 15 so u can buy a 21 Wink
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just buy a 63 panel then call themetalsurgeon. You wont be destroying a perfectly good window bus & post pictures! Then you can have the thread of all threads! Laughing

thevwcompound *instagram*
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm biased too. Buy any bus and learn about it while looking for "your" 23. As for adding skylights to a 15.... makes me wanna puke. If you do get the 15 and get it fixed you can easily sell or trade it for a correct 23.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a bay window in an Eastern Michigan barn with skylights and no sunroof a few years ago...

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JT21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 21, and would really like to have a 15, don"t alter a bus it's a bad thing to do. You will love the 15 once your into the resto.
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's possible, go for it. It'll make our nice unhacked 15 Windows more valuable now that there'll be one less example on the market. Just don't complain about all the flak you get if you try to sell it at any point after the attempted skylight installation. I've seen fake roof-clipped 21 Window project Buses for sale before, even one that was local to me that I got to see in person, they're not uncommon or expensive. If you want a fake 23, that'd be a better place to start. Just adding a sunroof probably wouldn't devalue the 15, as it'd be a tasteful period correct modification that was frequently done back in the day to all kinds of buses, but do it right and add the belly pans etc.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: