Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need to replace my alternator wire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Need to replace my alternator wire Reply with quote

The + is corroded near the alternator. Questions;

(1) what's the recommended awg for this?.. 4 or 6?
(2)what length do I need roughly?
(3) and do I need to go bigger than 4 if I plan to do an aux battery at some point or does it not make a difference?

thanks in advance!

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do 4 awg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the short distance between the two points, a 6ga is more than adequate to carry the full 90 amps with minimal voltage drop. Two 8ga would also be sufficient. The problem with larger wire is finding the right size lugs that will fit the posts at both ends. 4ga lugs are huge and may not fit where you need them too.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found mine to be seriously damaged, and it didnt stop there.

ALso found the primary battery to Alternator wire to be corroded severly.

I went to Interstate Battery, had them fabricate 2 ga and relocated the battery to the rear seat.
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! I think I'll go with 6gauge if it's good enough.

12' should be enough, right? I'm a space cadet with it comes to mentally figuring out lengths of stuff. I'm happy to overshoot here as I'll then have leftover for the aux setup.

cheers

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 6 ga wire is rated up to 120 amps and a 4 ga is rated up to 160 amps. Bigger wire is always better with DC voltage, but there is no need to go overboard. If I remember when I did mine, it's less than 3' between the alternator and starter. You should only see about a 1-2% voltage drop with the 6ga wire at 90 amps and 3' long.
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
A 6 ga wire is rated up to 120 amps and a 4 ga is rated up to 160 amps. Bigger wire is always better with DC voltage, but there is no need to go overboard. If I remember when I did mine, it's less than 3' between the alternator and starter. You should only see about a 1-2% voltage drop with the 6ga wire at 90 amps and 3' long.

oh! ok it's to the starter. That's much easier. I assumed it went all the way forward to the battery.

thanks again!

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator only runs to the starter. The main battery cable runs from the starter to the battery up front. That is a much bigger wire, like a 4-ought (0000). If that is bad, you need to have a battery shop make you a new one the propper length. They often corrode inside the sheathing which is hard to detect. Also make sure your ground wire and connection inside the battery box is in good condition and clean. That's as important as the positive cable.
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
The alternator only runs to the starter. The main battery cable runs from the starter to the battery up front. That is a much bigger wire, like a 4-ought (0000). If that is bad, you need to have a battery shop make you a new one the propper length. They often corrode inside the sheathing which is hard to detect. Also make sure your ground wire and connection inside the battery box is in good condition and clean. That's as important as the positive cable.

Thanks, all the wires check out. It's cranks fine. Just squealing from the alternator when I start it. It looks like the sheath was compromised near the alternator and the copper rotted there. My van is in really good nick so I don't suspect many other wiring issues for the moment.

So, here's a question. The local flaps only at 4 & 10 gauge wire. It was $10 with crimps so I opted for the 10gauge and will double it up. I know that's not ideal but the guys there blanked when I asked where I could get 6gauge and they know their stuff. I'll have to go to the interwebs.

Can I get away with doubling up 10 gauge until I find 6 gauge? Is that the way it works?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Table_of_AWG_wire_sizes

bear in mind, what I have right now is almost open circuit.

presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you just trim the end of the wire and solder/crimp a new terminal on there?

A car stereo shop will have larger gauge wires. For really big wires check out a welding supply store. Home Depot and the like sometimes carry large gauge stranded wires for automotive use.

My alternator puts out 200 amps and I have #1/0 wire, so I'm no help here. Smile Bigger wire won't hurt, a #6 wire will drop 0.1 volt from alternator to starter. Your battery will charge faster with the larger wire.

I believe the wire from starter to battery on 86-91 is #2/0 AWG.
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
Can you just trim the end of the wire and solder/crimp a new terminal on there?

A car stereo shop will have larger gauge wires. For really big wires check out a welding supply store. Home Depot and the like sometimes carry large gauge stranded wires for automotive use.

My alternator puts out 200 amps and I have #1/0 wire, so I'm no help here. Smile Bigger wire won't hurt, a #6 wire will drop 0.1 volt from alternator to starter. Your battery will charge faster with the larger wire.

I believe the wire from starter to battery on 86-91 is #2/0 AWG.

Thanks, I'll find a stereo shop. Good call.

From my experience, once a cable started rotting you might as well throw it out. The strands wick moisture in a good distance.

Bigger wont hurt, except maybe trying to install larger gauge wire. 6 awg is ideal it seams. Thanks again!

Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe sells these. The easy way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: