Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Tube Dimensions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Heater Tube Dimensions Reply with quote

Beyond hearsay, there doesn't seem to be a good reference I can find for the dimensions of the large diameter heater tube which runs up the center of the late Bays. I've read 3 1/2 in or 90 mm x 5 ft long, but haven't seen anything cited. Does documentation not exist?

I'm interested in knowing both the internal diameter and length for both sections:

1) between the rear "Y" collector and the forward "Y" distributor.
    2) between the forward "Y" distributor and the base of the heat rise to the defrost vents.

If you can help, thanks!

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a late bay they are vinyl tubes while on an early bay they are metal. Better be specfic with what this is for. The most common fix is to find a donor with good tubes.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Specifically dealing with a 1976 Westy. The existing tubes on mine are the black cardboard/paper type; no vinyl or metal here. From everything I've read, these are original and the same as what others run unless they've modified their heating system.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some photos to be absolutely clear. This is looking forward at the forward "Y" distributor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the other end of the same hose/tube, where it connects to the rear "Y" collector:

And this is from the front looking to the rear having removed both the skid plate and the hose that leads from the forward "Y" distributor to the heat riser for the defrost vents:

Incidentally, in the last photo, the hose on the left which goes from the forward "Y" distributor back to beneath the rear seat, is that just a longer version of the 2 1/8 in. hose used in Beetle engines and, I believe, on the left side of the blower motor in the engine compartment?

Cheers!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: