Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I made a drawing of the floor for a buddy of mine who runs a sheet metal shop. He is going to shear me a piece of aluminum, something around 1/8" or 11-12 gauge, whatever works out to be the cheapest. Then I can get my seats and pedals bolted down.

I talked to my transmission guy just the other day. He got all the parts to rebuild my late Vanagon transmission. Hopefully I will have that back in hand in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to fabricating the front mount for it... and also running in the engine. Should be great fun. Starting up a fresh engine is always a thrilling event. Cool

I am still debating whether to go solid mount in the front, or if I want to make use of my extra urethane trailing arm pivot bushings to make a good poly front mount. I think that will be easier to decide once I work on fitting the bell housing mount. We will see what kind of room I have to work with.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I use 16ga (1/16" thick) 6061 T6 aluminum sheet for my buggy floors. Have since the early 70s. Never had a problem with that material. The original floor for my Hi Jumper is still fine over 40 years later. I'm not so sure why so many folks like floors for an M60 tank.

I don't recommend using 2024 or 5052 aluminum. as they're both soft and easy to bend. 1/16" diamond plate with the tread side up is also quite good, in fact probably better than smooth sheet. Diamond plate is generally quite tough material. Diamond down makes aerodynamic drag and drags over obstacles, while being slippery to step on. Diamond up makes it easier to climb in and out of the car, while making for smooth aero and over obstacles.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Richard, unfortunetly for me the sheet has already been sheared. If I remember right it is 3003. Also not the strongest stuff on earth, but at ~1/8", that will be plenty strong to mount my pedals to since they sit right between two tabs where the floor bolts to the frame.

Richard, in the past my buddies have had great luck with solid bellhousing mounts and CB Rhino up front on bug transmissions. For my 091-1 Vanagon transmission I have a solid bellhousing cradle. I also have extra trailing arm pivot bushings I could make a front mount with... that said, I am having second thoughts about that. Since the front of the 091-1 has a stronger four bolt mount and my frame horns are braced to the frame, so I'm not very concerned about the need for a slight freedom of movement up front via poly mounts. I am now thinking maybe I should just go solid mounts all the way around. Any wisdom on that subject?

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I mounted the floor I drew up for my sheet metal buddy to shear. Worked pretty slick to hold it up agains the frame by clamping it up with some 2x4s and drill down though he mounting tabs. M8 bolts and lots of washers... needed five washers between the floor and tabs due to the position the tabs were welded on. I could have used spacers, but packs of 100 washers are cheap at Fastenal. The washer stack also let me suspend the floor about an 1/8" below the frame rails to helo keep crap from packing up between the frame rails.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The floor of my Hi Jumper has strategically placed 1.5" holes hole sawed in the rear corners to let junk fall out. Good for desert sand and small gravel. Water would exit that way pretty well also. I might worry a bit about a spaced out panel getting snagged.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Hmm, looks like your bolts are upside down.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Brian, what do ya mean the bolts are on upside down? You got a problem with installing bolts from the bottom up? Laughing

Just kidding ya Brian.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

One of the guys I work with down here is an airplane mechanic, he was telling me that it's a rule that all bolts have to be pointing down. That way if shit gets loose, at least you don't lose the bolts Laughing Or something like that haha

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

That makes sense from that perspective. I guess my thought was it would be less hanging down under.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

OTOH...
Floor pan bolts inserted from the top down, will have the excess bolt hanging down and getting sandblasted and perhaps scraped. They will often wind up with damaged threads. Far better in that case to install them as Van has them already. I even prefer to use carriage bolts so they can slide over things.
SoCalBajas Member
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

With that thick of material I would have countersunk them and ran flat socket cap bolts. Nothing to hang down at all.
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Gonna need some Grip tape! Looks good Dirk!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks Joseph. It's like you were reading my mind. I think I am going to put a strip on each tree bar, and also a patch at the forward edge of the seats for stepping into the buggy. They sell 6"x 24" sections at menards cheap I can cut to size to stick to the floor.

Right now I am working our just how exactly the seats will be mounted. Once I get that sorted out I can figure out the placement of other details.

JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Thanks Joseph. It's like you were reading my mind. I think I am going to put a strip on each tree bar, and also a patch at the forward edge of the seats for stepping into the buggy. They sell 6"x 24" sections at menards cheap I can cut to size to stick to the floor.

Right now I am working our just how exactly the seats will be mounted. Once I get that sorted out I can figure out the placement of other details.

PERFECT!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I picked up couple 6"x24" adheasive backed anti-slip tread for the floor the other day. Should be perfect when trimmed to size.

I drilled my fiberglass buckets and frame for 10mm mounting bolts. I have to modify my buckets slightly for the harness. I need to cut holes in the fronts for the submarine belt. I haven't yet decided if I am going to also cut holes for the lap belt. I'm thinking I should because the sides of the fiberglass buckets are so tall. I'll have to do the sit down test to see how things sit when the seat cushions are on. Laughing

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Rolling with this as a guide for now...

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

That's a fine drawing of belt installation Van. Better than some of the ones that some belt makers offer.

Getting the shoulder belts right may require adding a shoulder bar in your frame. Most buggy frame DO NEED one added.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
That's a fine drawing of belt installation Van. Better than some of the ones that some belt makers offer.

Getting the shoulder belts right may require adding a shoulder bar in your frame. Most buggy frame DO NEED one added.

Richard, I was looking at exactly that.

The position of the seat belt tab is directly behind the small of my back...Far to low! So then I thought that I could loop the belt up and over the gas tank mount bar...but that only gets me about 45deg down from my shoulders. Better, but just on the raged edge of acceptable according to the print above.

I have a couple heavy duty 1-1/2" clamps I could weld tubing between, and clamp onto the pillars behind the seats. Then I can position the tubing however high it needs to be to get the belt angle right in the sweet spot.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

These would be the 1-1/2" clamps I would use to mount the seat belt shoulder bar.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

This is what I was thinking. Red dots are the above clamps with the blue 1-1/2" shoulder belt bar welded between them. Yellow are the belts coming up from the mounting tabs, over the blue bar, then forward to the shoulders. That should get me to the correct exit angle back from the shoulders.

What do you think?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 39

Jump to: