Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yeah, real good.

Mike...That engine looks familiar... was that a transplant from Black Ice?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

well it's the 'cruise' motor from the white bug , plan was to slap it into Black Ice , But I never found decent wheelie Bars and a with an 80" wheel base & a 'show bar for a cage,, , I don't need the 'Pucker factor" at my age Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Hey dirk,I "drove"mine yesterday Laughing only took 15 days ,,,
i'm thinking it needs disc brakes on the rear Shocked Laughing or the wheel cylinders are frozen = slows down but doesn't stop worth a darn Rolling Eyes Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Lucky... probably still won't be able to lift anything for another month... I am considering having some friends do some dirty work for me while I'm out of commission to keep things moving so I can take a fall trip up to the UP for a shake down in the fall.

edit:

By the way, Did you go to the Bug Run yesterday? I really was looking forward to the swap meet, but just couldn't swing it.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Hey Dirk, first time in years I missed the BugRun too Crying or Very sad
this fall ,,, sounds like a color tour Cool
Free beer will bring friends around to ,,,help Laughing
I down with an abscess tooth Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Hopefully the fall bug run won't be called off for rain. Wink

I got around to a couple small things I could handle with one arm. I got a new spring retainer cup from Weddle and a new reverse light switch. The spring pushes on the cup and preloads the shifter into the 3/4 shift gate. Original reverse light switch was toast, so it was swapped out with a generic replacement from Hella.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chappy89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

hey Van, first off i am loving the build, i just read through all 27 pages and your ingenuity and attention to detail is phenomenal. well done man.

second, i noticed a few pages back when you were doing stuff with your pedals you mentioned a plan on fabbing up a dead pedal. well i just thought i would throw this your way in case you haven't made up your mind on it yet.

This is how i did a dead pedal on my warrior

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

That is a pretty clean way to put a foot rest on. Nice job. I'll probably end up doing something like that. Thanks for the kind words by the way. As far as enginuity goes, most of it is pretty straight forward stuff. Most of the ideas came from my buddies up north. Lots of hard riding in the upper pininsula of Michigan has defentntly tore up some buggies. Eventually after stuff starts going wrong you find ways to modify or tweak things so that they don't go wrong in the future.

Struggling to find things I can do with one arm while the other is still down and out. I started cutting up my IRS dual spring plates to make custom ones. The splined end was cut off to length to use with swing axle torsion bars. Next I'll have to remove the plates from the tube so I can get them welded to the splined end of the tube I cut off. Also found a solution for dust seals on the bearing housing on my custom Vanagon shift linkage. The seals on the wheel cylinders are just the right size. I got the cheapest wheel cylinder I could find, $11...certainly nothing I would EVER run on a vw, but that seamed worth it for the two dust boots on either end. Pics when I get around to it.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Seals added to the bearing housing compleating my shift linkage. I changed the bushings to a larger flange so that it created a lip for the seal. Then I popped off the wheel cylinder dust boots, stretched them over the flange, then ran a fine bead of hot glue against the back edge of it. Heat shrink was slipped over and heated to shrink it. I made sure to apply enough heat to flow the hot glue I applied earlier. The hot glue under the shrink wrap works the same way waterproof electrical connectors work. Wink

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

quite nice. Where did you get heat shrink that large?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Local industrial supply store. It's used for shrink wrapping heavy electrical cables. It's about 1-1/4"

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The midshift Vanagon transmission is ready to roll. I got a rebuilt Bosch starter from autozone. With a core to exchange, it worked out to about 90 bucks. Not so bad. The one thing I ran into is the factory starter bushing is 13.5mm od. The new bushing that came with the starter is 14mm od. Since the original factory starter bushing was still good I just reused it. Might still plug the vent and drill/tap the top of the case for a 1/8npt hose barb to vent through a hose and fuel filter to keep grit out.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Testing the rebuilt Bosch starter. She kicks over, that's at least a good sign. Laughing

Link

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Modified the stock Vanagon mount by cutting off the flange that mounts to the rubber mount leaving just the plate behind. The plate will have to get welded to the torsion housing where the stock but nosecone mount is located.

I also ended up with a free vw bug hood. It's a bit banged up, but not bad. Figured it would make a cool nose for the front of the rail. Something more unique than the fiberglass noses available off the shelf. I figure some standoffs mounted to some 1-1/2" tube clamps will hold her on nicely. Still trying to decide how to paint it. Flat black, black and yellow, or a deep plum purple. I'm leaning black and yellow, but that might change. Shame it's orange...orange was my favorite stock bug color. Sad to paint over it, but it doesn't match anything.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Nice black and yellow paint job, did you mask it first?

Razz

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I bet we left a dozen of those at the bottom of the big hill after big snow storms back in the 80s. Caved in and useless when we were done with them.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:

Razz

Razz

Classic, thanks for that. Laughing

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Stock throwout arm was trashed due to excessive wear on the forks, so I used an aftermarket HD 20mm crosshaft with solid brass bushings. A new throwout bearing was used over a new bearing sleeve as well.

I didn't have an extra clutch cable arm, so I picked up a new one from Appletreeauto. It's standard for an 091. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to extend it from the 73mm center to center and extend it to something more like the 75 and later irs bug at ~100mm. I dug a piece of scrap of 1/4" flat stock from the steel recycle bucket to splice in. Without cutting, this one came out to about 105mm, close enough for me.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
pullstart wrote:

Razz

Razz

Classic, thanks for that. Laughing

Laughter is the best medicine... how's your wound healing up? Is full recovery ETA in sight?

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I should know more tomorrow evening. I have to go back for some more X-rays. We will see what the word is then. I still can't lift anything with it, although I'm starting to be able to move it around somewhat, although motion is still really limited. It's expected to fully heal, but will take a while because there is no way to support the bone to stbalize it so it can heal up quickly...so it's just going to do what it's going to do, and hopefully grow back close to how it was before it broke.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 39

Jump to: