Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Best wishes for tomorrow's appt.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks man, hope it's all good news.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Word is I can now lift no more than 10-15 lbs for the next month, but only if it is within comfort level. So I can at least start picking some things up now, which is good progress! A month at it should be healed enough to start strengthening it, which is really good news!

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Sweet deal! You got your scale all set up in the garage to put stuff on before you lift it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Shocked
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Well folks, I’m back in business! It has been way too long.

Time to get the late Vanagon transmission fitted and mounts welded in to the frame! Got the lights set up outside, so I’m ready to burn the midnight oil to get that sucker in! Laughing

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I’ll get some better daylight pics sometime this coming week, but she fits. Going to add an upper hanger for the top bell housing mounting ears. Other than that it is pretty much in. I was surprised that I didn’t have to notch the frame horns any despite how much larger the Vanagon transmission is compared to the bug transmission.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Welcome back! How ya healin?

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Healing pretty good. X-ray showed the bone is grown back in the three places it broke. Still getting strength back, but it is now fully functional. Cool

jthoren14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I just found your build man, it's coming along sweet! It makes me want to drop out and go work on my buggy Laughing
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Bug frame horns will clear a T2 IRS trans if you use One of the EMPI Bus-In-Bug mount kits. If you use a 10° mount, you're likely to need to trim the inboard side flange. I prefer to mount the trans lower in the forks than either of those, but more level than the 10°kit.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yeah, it is up a little higher than I like. A half inch lower would be welcome, but that’s ok. I never did like the 10 degree mount, always seemed 10 degrees was a little too extreme. This one sits at roughly 3 degrees down at the nose.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

My HiJumper was built in the 1970s with 6° of tilt of the entire torsion housing and forks.And it was built for swing axle.

Mounting a Bus IRS trans the way I like requires clearancing the inner weld flange on the forks. Need a notch or hole through the left fork for access to the oil fill plug.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I think mine would have needed some clearancing, accept I cut some unused casting bosses off the case and intermediate housing to slim things down. Just clears the frame horns now.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The Slasher Strikes!!!!!

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Getting cool outside. Going to have to set a heater up to cure the paint on the new transmission mounts...hmm

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Temp dropped 30° from yesterday to today here. Low yesterday about the same as the high today. Still in the mid 50s for a high, but ice in a bucket on the patio that was still frozen late this afternoon.

It's coming your way...
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Sorry this has taken me so much to to upload pics. These days with limited daytime hours have made it hard to get pics. By the time I’m done with work etc, sun has set. These are the best I got. Sorry guys.

First few are of the clamp on bell housing hanger I made. Although the bus into bug bell housing cradles work fine, I never did care for just the two m10 engine studs holding things together. Adaquit, but not my style I suppose. With this bell housing hanger, I get 4 x M10 bolts to hold down the back side.

The rest of these are just the mounts in genera. The front is actually a cut down factory Vanagon mount welded in. Yay recycling! As you can hopefully see, it fits nice.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I can see that it's looking good!

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thank you, nice to be moving forward again. Next on the list is installing the shifter and adjusting it so it works slick. Pretty easy to set the 1/2 gate against the reverse lockout plate. Nothing to it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 39

Jump to: