Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

U-joints are salvaged from a Super Beetle steering shaft. I just cut it in half, slid the ends into a length of tubing long enough to run between the shifter and transmission, and welded them in place. The 5/8” pinch shaft collar connects to linkage on Vanagon transmission. Other u-joint has a 7/16” fine thread slug welded in that attaches to the shifter. Pinch bolts locks both ends down. Nothing fancy, the simplicity is good. Paint is curing. Will install sometime this week once the paint is cured.

Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Paint cured. Time to install this weekend and get everything adjusted and tightened down.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Might have to rethink the seat belt mounts a little bit, but the shift linkage is in.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Did you test it out I'm sure? Find all gears just dandy? Could you extend the straight shaft out of the shifter back a foot or two then have a short angled shaft, or would that bind?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Possible, but I do like the Longer shaft at a less extream angle. Also less parts The way it sits. I’m in the less is more camp with this one. I’ll see what makes sense next time I fuss with it. I really like what I have going though.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Well, you're doing a mighty fine job with less! When do you suppose you'll be thrashing the buggy around?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

This spring. I’ll get her up on four wheels over the winter and drop the motor in once things thaw out.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Is dusty going to tell you the belt tabs don't face the direction of pull?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Probably. That’s why I don’t feel bad about cutting them off. They weren’t welded in correctly.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

That just made Richards day.

I know it is a bit early, but I hope you all have a great Christmas this year. Enjoy the holidays and safe travels for those who will be visiting family.

Cool

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Why thank you!

Just please don't tell me to marry Chris Mass. I'm already Married to Pat. And who is this Chris chick anyway?

Smile
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Well, wasn’t entirely happy with reverse gear engagement. Felt as though it wasn’t fully engaging for some reason. I pulled the transmission to investigate further. Took the front cover off and the problem was immediately obvious...

Link

Turned out the bolt holding the shift fork to the shift rail wasn’t the correct size. Fortune it was a very simple fix. I took it apart and ran a tap through the hole to clean up some of the beat up threads. Then I used a new M8 bolt with a dab of thread locker and a lock washer. Ran a bead of anaerobic gasket maker on the flange, and torqued the cover down. Good as new. Shifts into reverse with a satisfying solid clunk. Time to let the sealant cure and pop her back in.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Back in and workin well!

Neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Neutral Reverse, Neutral.

And yes, reverse is next to 1st gear, not 2nd gear like bug/bus transmissions.

If I were to do it again, there are some changes I might make. The only thing that bugs me is how heavy a spring load there is into the 3/4 shift gate. You have to give the shifter a pretty good tug to the drivers side to get into the 1/2 shift gate, and again to get into reverse. It isn’t too bad though. I am certainly happy with it. If it bugs me down the road some possible solutions are to change out the spring in the transmission for a lighter one, or making some changes to the linkage geometry. We will see how it goes first. I suspect it will be one of those things that you get used to over time. Sliding through all the gears is very smooth with a great positive feel. Probably better than I have felt with most bug or bus transmissions. Cool

Link

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

My buddy had a spring loaded shifter in his 002. It was great for teaching people how to drive stick but using it as his daily was annoying. I love not having a spring loaded shifter, I feel more in control.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Wohoo! Ya got her going! Here's mine, I made a very similar video about a year or so ago.

Link

That return spring in the transmission you're talking about would in fact be very easy to change or make lighter. I rebuilt mine from the bare case up, and the whole transaxle is actually really easy to rebuild. There's a lot going for these 091-1 transaxles aside from having to use a non-standard linkage.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

They are nice transmission. And the shift linkage isn’t even that bad to deal with if you can fab stuff. I like what you did. Very cool man. I had the syncros and the 3/4 slider hub replaced. The ring and pinion still look good, but we will see how long the 4.83:1 ring and pinion lasts. Those six tooth pinions wear faster. Not sure what was wrong with the 4.86:1 that they changed it to 4.83:1, but whatever. Either way, a real reverse gear, big 1st, and four spider diff will be nice off road. For as easy as these are to swap in, I am surprised that more people don’t run them. Cheaper cores than a six rib bus too.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Well, I repaired my drill press. The spot welds holding the motor to the motor mount cracked and the motor fell off while running. That was exciting. Got the motor welded back to the motor mount. Always worth saving classic American iron tools. At any rate, I will pick up a new hole saw on my way home from work today to make my custom spring plates so I can get the rear suspension up and running. I would love to get her up on all four wheels soon. Also got the 10 gallon gas tank on yesterday. Perfect size, it just fits into place, and I mean JUST fits. Pics to come Wink .

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Working on custom dual spring plates for swing axle torsion bars so that I can run my 33 Baja pro tires in the back without clearance issues.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

You can buy them ready made. Even EMPI brand. You don't even have to cough up the big $$ for Sway-A-Way or any of the other racer brands. They're not double plates, but the plates are 2x as thick as stock. They're available for like $85 for a pair.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 39

Jump to: