Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Dropped off the wheels to get burnt, blasted, and powder coated. Hopefully done next week. Cool

Lots to do the next couple weeks. Wife and I just bought a house and the closing date is a week and a half sooner than expected. I’m pretty excited to have a good year round workspace. It has a 32x40 fully finished off, plumbed, and heated poll barn. Comes lith a hydraulic two post car lift as well. Kind of found the property by accident, and things just worked out, so it was meant to be.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Dropped off the wheels to get burnt, blasted, and powder coated. Hopefully done next week. Cool

Lots to do the next couple weeks. Wife and I just bought a house and the closing date is a week and a half sooner than expected. I’m pretty excited to have a good year round workspace. It has a 32x40 fully finished off, plumbed, and heated poll barn. Comes lith a hydraulic two post car lift as well. Kind of found the property by accident, and things just worked out, so it was meant to be.

I'm jealous!

I SO Miss my 30 x 60 shop which is 3 doors down across the street. Long story about how the original mortgage company was playing shenanigans and FHA took the mortgage away from them, then sold it to another company for 10cents on the dollar and the contract was unilaterally thrown out the window and they just wanted cash NOW. I felt the government took us out of the frying pan and threw us into the fire.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I'm jealous!

Same man. I'm moving to a new place this month, my monthly rent is probably the total cost of Van's furnishing costs. And I don't get a garage Crying or Very sad

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

It's all in geography man.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Now the question is how do I trailer a buggy over with two wheels.. Haha, this could be interesting.

And why exactly is California so dog-gone expensive. It’s like every month they add some new ridiculous tax or something, and they are still going broke. Sounds like it is time for a major change of management over there. Well, if you are taxed to death, you could always come to Michigan! Wink

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Rarely ever natural disaster in MI... no earthquakes, no hurricanes or big tornadoes... just some snow once in a while and the worst of all - humidity! Cool

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Now the question is how do I trailer a buggy over with two wheels.. Haha, this could be interesting.

And why exactly is California so dog-gone expensive. It’s like every month they add some new ridiculous tax or something, and they are still going broke. Sounds like it is time for a major change of management over there. Well, if you are taxed to death, you could always come to Michigan! Wink

I could get DEEP into politics here, but this is not the right place for it. So I'll keep this answer short.

Too many damned fool voters here in California who weren't here when Jerry was governor before. And don't know what a bad job he did then. And of those who WERE here then, only see which side of the party he is supported by and that makes him "right", whether he is or not.

My family has been here since the 1800s. Awesome place geographically, that makes it over-run with people coming from elsewhere who make it the way they want it. I CONSTANTLY hear from people who have come here from somewhere else about how terrible California is. But those are the people who make the way they don't like. It's popular for singers to criticize Cali because it doesn't fit the media propaganda image they've been fed. But they are part of why it does not fit that image. Sorta like people who buy a home next to an airport, then sue the airport for the noise.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I hear you man. Wink

Anyways, the lift works. Before I use it I want to check how square the posts are because they were bolted down onto different pourings of concrete in the floor. If not, I’ll have to shim one side a bit to make sure that the lift points don’t spread as it is raised/lowered.

Link

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yo, I'm coming over to your place next time I need to do some work.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
I hear you man. Wink

Anyways, the lift works. Before I use it I want to check how square the posts are because they were bolted down onto different pourings of concrete in the floor. If not, I’ll have to shim one side a bit to make sure that the lift points don’t spread as it is raised/lowered.

Link

Is that a new shop, or just really clean? Congrats on the lift, they make things so much nicer! I've got an in-floor single post, and just picked up a dual post last weekend... but it's my father in-law's. If he ever has a shop of his own to put it, it'll come out of my place.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks guys, and yes it is new, well, a little over a year old. Good as new though. Wink

Well, got everything moved over to the new house. For the time being we threw everything in the barn, so it is a bit cluttered for now while we sort out where to put things in the house.

Anyways, it is nice to have a lift hold the back up while I work on getting the rear suspension sorted out.

Never mind all the boxes from moving in the background...or the dog photobombing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The 6” wide smoothies that I cut the center out and rewelded in for zero offset got powered coated and the tires remounted.

Now on to finishing up the rear end.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Those wheels turned out really nice !! Applause

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The lift is VERY Cool!

My buddy has a 2-post like that in his home shop. Damned handy to have in the shop. He also has a 4-post and a portable Snap-On scissor lift. All are handy. Lots o' damned work setting them all up. Shocked

He used to be a mechanic at a Honda/Acura dealer. They had those lifts there and decided to upgrade. So they sold him those for $500 each. For the same price, he got a euro tire machine and a spin balancer. Not each, but for the pair. Same source as the Acura NSX engine in his 4-seater (warranty replaced for a leaking oil pan - He replaced the pan.).

Those smoothies are similar to the ones on the back of my Baja Bug in that old black & white pic you've seen elsewhere on here. 15 x 7" Kelsey Hayes rims for Corvette Rally wheels, with VW smoothy centers welded in by Les Choate (Burro Buggies and the 1st Baja 100). So those wheels are 6" rims with 3" back space, right? I presume that's what you mean by zero offset.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yeah, that’s right Richard. Zero offset, 3” back spacing. So, it is a little more aggressive on the rear bearings than stock, but not too bad. Some people run crazy offsets, and all I can think of is “poor ball bearings.” They just aren’t made for that sort of stress. And you wonder why so many people complain of ball bearings blowing up. Laughing

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

My 7" rims are stock 3.75" back space. So pretty similar. Les Choate knew what he was doing when he built those wheels.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

While working on the spring plates, I found that the splined area shrunk a bit and was tight on the splines. I had some old torsion bars I made into a makeshift broach to open up the splines again under the weld. Worked pretty good. Really had to beat them through the first couple times. It all worked out though. I have had this happen when welding nuts. They shrink just enough that you can’t quite get a bolt through and have to tap it, but the tap gets stuck because it is so close if cold forms the material back into shape rather than cut it. Interesting thing shrinkage is.

Also got the battery mounted in with some custom hold downs. Also working on the pedals as well. More pics when I get around to it.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I got the pedals in and started working on cable routing. Not being a fan of tubes that always seem to pack up with crap off road, I went with pulleys. I got some nice heavy steel pulleys for the clutch cable, and some small nylon pulleys on ball bearings for the throttle cable. I attached the nylon pulleys to the heavy steel pulley mounting brackets. I have to put a few couple more in behind the seats, but you get the idea.

Also got the battery hold down situated. I had an old rubber one that was far to wide, so I cut some out of the middle and made an aluminum spreader to go over top. The wing nuts were drilled so I could snap a spring between the two. That will keep them from backing off allowing the battery to shake around.

While I had the box of electrics unpacked from moving, I slapped the lights loosely on just so I could toss another box into the recycle and make more room in the barn. Still pretty crapped up from moving. Laughing

Still not quite sure where I want to put the front turn lights yet.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

You might look into those headlights that fit those housings and have amber turn lights in the bottom. I presume those are 7" lamps there.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-s2010led?se...gL73fD_BwE
My search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=head+lights+with+t...irefox-b-1

With other separate turn lamps, you could mount them to tabs off the bumper near the head lights. Or mount them to the top of the shock towers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=turn+indicator+lam...mp;bih=786

Summit has LED flashers to work with LED indicator lamps. Listed with a link on that headlight page in the link above.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Not a bad option, looks kinda cool. How visible is the turn signal when the headlights are on?

Clutch Cable is shortened and routed through the pulleys. To terminate the transaxle end of the cable, I cut the stock M7 threaded end off and welded it onto a slightly modified three jaw cable camp. Works slick.

This is the three jaw cable clamp taken apart along with the stock threaded end I cut off.

I notched the eye of the cable clamp for a little more weld area between the clamp and M7 threaded end.

Routing pulleys

And the cable clamp modified for the stock wing nut

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 39

Jump to: