Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Spring plates are done. Dual spring plates, notched, with shortened tubes for conversion to swing axle torsion bars. I welded a hard washer on the end to capture the torsion bars, then added a little 1/2” tube extension on the end to fully engage with the outer bushing. A hard washer and M12 nut capped it off. In normal operation I will just fill the hole with a short M12 bolt. The idea is that if I need to make adjustments, I can jack it off the torsion bar easily by running in a long M12 bolt. A little bit easier than prying them off the lower stop with a crowbar or big screw driver. Wink

Local hardware store was out of M12 bolts, so I ordered what I needed. Should be in soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Good news,

I started test fitting all the parts together. Looks like it will work out slick.no torsion bars at this point so I can move things around. Quick tape measure job, and I measured 9-3/4” of vertical travel.

With the notch in the spring plate, my spring plates rest on the stop at 13.5 degrees down with the frame as the zero reference.

I zeroed out the angle finder at full drop, them moved the spring plate to full bump, and measured just shy of 30 degrees of swing. That’s right about where I wanted to be.

With the trailing arm attached, I also got a rough location for the bump stop I want to add. To mount it I will just weld on a 3/8” threaded coupler to the torsion housing shock towers.

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I wish I had the patience to work on my rail in the manner that you do... such awesome work!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks man. To be honest, it’s not that I have patience, it’s that I don’t have time. Haha.

Anyways.

Got the torsion bars in and spring plates on. I use plenty of anti-seize on the splines and silicone based grease on the polyurethane bushings.

For preload I am starting with 20 degrees. Stock swing axle with 22mm bars and no Zbar was 17 degrees. The notch in the spring plate affords me 4 degrees more drop. I figured three extra degrees of preload was a good starting point to keep the ratio of compression/rebound about the same. We will see how it works out when things settle in.

To lift the spring plates up and onto the stops I use a 3/8 all steel turn buckle between a spring plate bolt hole and a half inch eye bolt through the shock tower casting. Works pretty slick.

Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

It's coming together nicely - cool idea w/ the turnbuckle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks man. Progress at last feels good. Hopefully I can get the trailing arms on this weekend. More to come.

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yep, stealing the turnbuckle idea. I slipped long bolts into my double spring plate holes, and used a very long piece of thick flat stock to lift the spring plate up and had someone else hammer them in.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yeah, turn buckle works well. Slap it on and turn it with a wrench. Just make sure you use a steel one. I wouldn’t dare use an aluminum turn buckle. Wink

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

It’s a roller!

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Looks a lot better than when it was the bare frame sitting out in the leaves. Shop looks good too.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. It feels a lot better to work on it in the shop than it did in the leaves. Hahaha

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Patience or lack of time... it looks good!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Really.

Up next, CV joints and axles. They really are right at the max limit. Usually I don’t bother, but because these are so right up to the edge, I’m going to disassemble the half shafts and “clock” the CV joints. I have no explanation for why this makes any difference what so ever, but apparently it does. So why not. Laughing

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

For fun I wanted to see what happened when C.V. joints were out of phase, vs phased or clocked as some say. Very interesting. With them out of phase, the half shaft axle oscillated inboard and outboard as it was rotated. Most likely because of the uneven thrust forces from the cross grooves. When phased, or clocked, the axle no longer oscillated back and fourth as it was rotated. Very fascinating to see what happens when the like widthed portions of the cv joints are both on the acute or obtuse side the the axle. I can see what that does for keeping the axle from pushing back and fourth taking up plunge from one cv joint and then the other.... but I still do not understand how that can possibly help with angularity. Durability, yes, saves cv cages from pounding from the oscillations of the axle, but angle...I think that is a myth.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I’ll throw this out there for people torquing C.V. bolts...

A lot of people torque the cv bolts to 25 Ft*Lbs as spect for bugs and busses etc... but most people don’t know that the same M8 grade 12.9 hardware was torqued to 33 Ft*Lbs on the Vanagons. So, don’t be afraid to crank those bolts down good and hard. I wouldn’t reuse the bolts after torquing to 33 Ft*Lbs, but they definitely will hold no problem. Wink

No Loctite or other thread locking compound. Just two piece Nord-Lock washers between the torque spreaders and the head of the bolts with a dab of grease/anti-seize on the threads.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Next up, installing the engine.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Van, it's EZ to lubricate CV bolt threads with grease. It's damned difficult to do a good job of applying loc-tite to clean threads though. It CAN be done, but it's a PITA.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I see the parking brake cables hanging down. What are you using for a brake lever?
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yeah, to do thread locker you have to use acetone soaked q-tips. Pain. Plus, i see no need for it here with Nord-Lock washers. I did some testing on them as an engineer a couple years back. They are ridiculous. Much better than any spring washer I have ever tested. For the bolt to back out it actually has to undergo higher tension. Between that and the updated torque spec of 33Ft*Lbs for the cv bolts...it ain’t going anywhere.

As for the parkiking brake, stock lever. I have the bracket and everything. Just need to figure out where I want to run stuff. That is probably one of my last things on the to-do list because I can run it over top of anything else that’s there. Biggest obstacle will be the shift shaft.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

You could mount it above the shift shaft, like the shift lever mount is above the frame rails. Several years ago, there was a build thread on here by a guy with a Chenowth buggy. I think he used the lever assembly from a Jeep IIRC. Name of Larry. Some sort of helicopter designation for his user name. UH60CE or something like that. I'll see if I can find it.

After searching for a while, I can't find anything Larry posted, nor can I find his user ID in the member list, nor any of his posts regarding his buggy. It seems he deleted all when he left.

Might take some more searching for parking/emergency brakes in tube frame buggies.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 39

Jump to: