Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Somebody has sure been wasting water over there in your neck of the woods. Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I have thought of putting a windshield in mine to help with the eye watering issue at cooler temperatures but then comes the need for a wiper and washer every time you hit a mud hole.

And... how do you hunt coyotes with a windshield in the way? Wink
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Somebody has sure been wasting water over there in your neck of the woods. Cool

Always seems to rain a couple days before I go out. Low spots get a little wet sometimes. Not the most fun to drive through, but it’s a good time nonetheless. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have thought of putting a windshield in mine to help with the eye watering issue at cooler temperatures but then comes the need for a wiper and washer every time you hit a mud hole.

And... how do you hunt coyotes with a windshield in the way? Wink

I will be honest with you, the eye watering was better before the windshield. Something about the way the air flows around it. It wraps around, and seemingly half the air from the windshield blows right across my face. Honestly, it was less windy without the windshield.

Also, I need some fenders. Not only does mud spray up from the front tires onto the windshield, but the rear tires sling it up onto the back side of the windshield. Gets muddy from both sides. People laugh at me when they see me at a gas station washing the rear of the windshield. Laughing

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Interesting! Who-da thunk!

Well then, I will just continue to wipe both sides of my glasses! Same deal... more moisture settles on the backside of them than the front! Question

And yes the front wheels do shed a lot of cow sh!t when booting across the pasture. I could use some sh!t guards too!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Bald front tires help ,not as much shit thrown in the face Wink Laughing ,a Baja bug in 'Spring' ,, less mud/sand in ur shorts Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Found out the straps that came with my fuel tank may not be up to the task of off roading. One of them cracked and left the tank dangling by one side. I temporarily added some support underneath the tank sump, but I think I need to come up with something different. It is a 10” round tank, 10 gallons.

TVander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I just fixed mine today! One side failed so I beefed it up, let’s eye what the other side does?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

So far it has held up. I think this I was the last ride for the year. Peak color hit, so I decided to take one last ride this year before storing her for the winter.

Allegan Woods

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Sweet!

And if you added body panels, including front and rear walls, windshield, rear window, doors, and heater/defroster...You could keep going.

A few years ago, on another website, I saw a guy who did those things for his buggy and put sand dune 'razor' front tires and sand paddles on the back and ripped snow like a snow mobile.

Also a few years ago, there was a guy over on Shop Talk Offroad who had a Chenowth similar to Jimmy Hoffa's who did those things, plus removable fenders, and drove his buggy on the road as well as offroad. In snow and mud. Lived near Oregon/California/Idaho/Nevada corners.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Problem is Richard, Detroit Has a "Salt Mine' under it, and that shit is spread so bad Your driving in a salt dust cloud if theirs traffic,the rust of the time is just eats yur shit Confused so we park/store them ,unless it's a nice snowy day and ya feel the need to 'Roost',Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

It’s pretty bad down in west Michigan. They salt the living daylights out of everything. If I still lived in the UP I would probably do it because it is just cool enough that the salt really doesn’t work up there, so they use sand most of the winter.

Richard, I have to say, I am seriously looking at adding some fenders, or at least mud flaps. It gets awful messy on muddy trails. Nothing like being smacked in the back of the head by a mud clod. I could do without that, Hahaha Laughing

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

LOTS of different ways of doing that. From pre-formed trailer fenders, to sections of drain culvert like a guy on Shop Talk Forums has on his Baja in Idaho. How to mount them is another wide open book. Might make sense to make them easily removable yet sturdy so they don't remove themselves when you need them.

Front fenders too.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I like your idea of trailer fenders for the rear. I wonder how ridged front fenders would be clamped to the brake backing plates, or on tabs welded to the steering arm. I have seen it done, but never gave one a good wiggle or kick. Might be worth trying.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Another factor is that for getting the right fender width, you can cut the radiused edges from the fender and weld in or rivet sheet metal to get the width you want. Can also be lighter weight that way.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Couldn’t resist scratching the itch to get out. It was less than pleasurable. Maybe in another month it will be better…

This was taken just after I backed it out of the barn for the first time this year. I couldn’t be bothered to get out to snap a pic during the ride.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Nice! I have been tempted to do the same the last few weeks as it warms up. I want to get a set of skis off an old snowmobile for the front. They would work so much better than tires. I priced out ATV tracks for the rear... won't be happening! It would double my investment in this sand rail to do that!

I have 10" wide ATV tires on the rear, now wide enough for the soft snow so I have to wait until it firms up or it just sinks to the bottom as soon as you apply power. Thought about some paddle tires and wider wheels but again for the amount I would run them in the winter it's hard to justify the cost.

This was a year ago after the snow had firmed up.

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

few weeks ago in Muskegon

Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

This was a year ago after the snow had firmed up.

Holy mackerel, that poor tractor! XD
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Been a long time since I have gotten out. This past weekend I went to get her rolling. Checked how much gas I had before setting off. Empty. That was a little weird.

Didn’t thick much of it…

My engine has been bone dry, no leaks at all, but I noticed some weeping down the exhaust stub pipe, which is weird…

So I checked the oil to make sure we were good to go… pulled the dip stick and it was all wet and smelled like gas.

Turned out I forgot to close the fuel shutoff valve on the tank, and it must have slowly leaked past the needle/seat in the carburetors, flooded, and filled up the crank case.

Drained the oil/gas… and oh boy, that sucker was really full to the brim!! I wasn’t ready for that much to come out so quickly. I filled up two of my ten quart oil catch pans!

Well, no matter. It needed an oil change anyways.

Drained the oil, pulled the spark plugs, turned it over to blow the gas out. Replaced the filter, filled her up with four quarts of 5W20, and let her rip. No harm done.

Next time I will remember to close the shut off valve.

Also next time, I will replace the needle and seat valves.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 39

Jump to: