Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Glad there was no damage done at least! Laughing
Now you have two-cycle gas!
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

That’s the ticket. Might try putting it in the weed whacker. Laughing

I set the bucket outside. As of this morning, half of it evaporated.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Dang, that's a well-sealed engine that it didn't evaporate before!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Leaks are a pet peeve of mine, to the point that it was irritating to see gas weeping from the cylinder head to exhaust joint. Laughing Laughing Laughing

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Minimal leaks, better efficiency, right? Cool
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Biggest thing for me is having a dry engine. I can’t stand an engine that doesn’t stay dry. There is no reason a fresh engine shouldn’t go 10 years before seeing any sign of oil weeping from the case.

At any rate, seeing as how this was just a big of gas from the exhaust due to operator error, I am not too concerned… not enough to pull the exhaust off and anneal the copper gaskets.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I should also say, 5W-20 seems to be more reasonable than 10W-30 oil I was previously running. Better oil pressure when “hot.” Not so high any more. I always build my engines on the tight side of the spec. The 10w-30 was over 40 psi at idle when cold, and 20 when hot. The thinner 5w-20 brought that down to 30 psi cold at 15 hot at idle. I also don’t push 60 psi while cruising anymore. I am down to about 40 when just driving down the road normally.

Too much oil pressure does no good. The oil cooler bypass opens, and the oil filter internal bypass opens…so basically no filtration accept at idle. Now more of the oil gets filtered while driving around. The filter should only bypass with my foot into it now.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The filter bypass is a differential pressure bypass and should not activate unless the filter element itself is restricting flow. This should only happen in very cold weather with thick oil or when the filter is plugged with dirt. It should never ever happen under any normal conditions regardless of engine rpm. Even if your oil pressure hits 100 psi, as long as it is 100 psi both sides of the filter the bypass valve in the filter will stay closed.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Yes, it is a differential valve, but it is pretty low pressure. Most oil filters bypass at 10-25 psi depending on the model. The oil filter I am running is 12-15 psi differential, which with a short filter, is pretty easy to hit. It is pretty normal for a good chunk of the oil to not go through the filter while cruising. It pretty much all gets filtered at hot idle, but the more rpm you give it the more the filter allows to bypass.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

If that is actually the case then "full flow" oil filtering does not really exist. It also means that an oil filter is just a dirt accumulator that dumps it's load of dirt into the engine at will.

Step us through the discovery process that has led you to this understanding please.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
If that is actually the case then "full flow" oil filtering does not really exist. It also means that an oil filter is just a dirt accumulator that dumps it's load of dirt into the engine at will.

Step us through the discovery process that has led you to this understanding please.

1) The oil filter manufacturers list the bypass opening pressure specifications.

2) Cut nearly any automotive oil filter apart, and you will find the bypass.

3) you are correct, “full flow” is a bit of a misnomer… 100% of the oil goes through the oil filter canister, but not all of it gets filtered through the element under all circumstances. This is also why you can find all kinds of crap embedded in the bearings after an engine wipes a cam, cracks a piston/ring, rod lets go, etc… especially at high rpm, a lot of oil can go right around the filter element. It isn’t a 100% filtration all the time deal.

4) True full flow systems exist, but usually in the industrial or stationary diesel market. They are also more common in hydraulic systems. Pretty rare to see in any passenger car. I am unaware of any current passenger car on the market that does not have an oil filter with an internal bypass built in.

5) It doesn’t really act as an accumulator and dump dirt from the element when the bypass opens. Remember, when running there is always pressure on the filter element holding particles to it, and it doesn’t ever back flow to flush dirt out.

*** sorry about all the little edits to this post***

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Last ride of the year. Pretty soaked by the time I got home. Poured cats and dogs about 10 minutes after the second picture. 20 minutes home in the pouring rain. What a way to end the year. Laughing Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Tell us about those front tires. Are they Mickey Thompsons?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Richard, that they are. I’m really happy with them. They seem to get the front end around the corner better than most heavy 7.00x15 tires, or trailer tires. Tracks really nice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39
Jump to:
Page 39 of 39

Jump to: