Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clunking through bernalillo
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: clunking through bernalillo Reply with quote

we just passed through albuquerque with a clunking passenger side cv joint (as least, that is the assumed culprit, as the clunking only occurs in gear and usually when accelerating--at highway speeds, it often disappears for a while). the allen head bolts on the transmission were thread-stripped--and measured to be 48mm. i cannot seem to find the correct length for the inner/outer cv bolts. if anyone has this information or other suggestions, i'd really appreciate your help. the parts stores here look at an allen head bolt like it came off a spaceship or something: "oh, you gotta go into albuquerque bolt for something like that." struck out at home depot, too. i'm thinking about putting hex caps bolts on the trans side at least (til i can get the correct ones). anyways, the lengths on those bolts or any other ideas would be great to have.

thanks,
james
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found a non-definitive size for the bolts--50mm, which i'll tentatively apply to both inner and outer cv joints. if anyone has a conflicting spec (or advice), please pass it along! thanks--
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come in a lot of the CV boot kits and joint kits, so places that sell CV joints may have them in that form.
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a high grade bolt too, 12.something I think, so If you end up putting something else on there go real easy on it and replace them when you get the chance.

I don't know if you'd be able to get a socket on those things, there may not be enough clearance. You may need an allen or triple square head.

Have you asked the parts store for a cv boot kit? They aren't very expensive and they often come with new bolts.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much in Bernalillo, is there?

yep, the call for Albuquerque is correct. several places have them here in stock. about a 30 minute drive from the Bernalillo Home depot.

I got the drive shafts form Autozone (which they do have in Bernalillo) but dont; remember if they have the bolts in the kit.

If you are heading north, Santa FE is your next place 60 miles out and a bit of climbing.

you can call me if you still need help

I'm in ABQ about 1 mile form a place where I got those bolts before. Depending on your/mine timing I could bring them up to you.

andrew 505-304-5306

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies! andrew, thanks for your kindness--i wish i'd gotten your response while we had wifi. we decided to press on, doing our best to ignore the almost-constant clunking. there had been a problem with the passenger-side cv which involved undertorqued, overgreased bolts working loose, but they seem to be holding now. we made it safely back home, so i have time/space to figure out what's wrong in there. it would be a lot easier if i didn't have to deal with all these stripped allen heads. anyone else hate these? i replace them with hex bolts in less torquey situations, like coolant drain plugs. i'll have to pick up some triple squares for the cv, i think.

it was a half-great/half-terrible trip, like most of mine. i'm glad we made it home safely, but i'm not exactly glad we made it home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: