Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Bug deck lid script??? what does it look like
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Baja Bug deck lid script??? what does it look like Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of what the "BAJA BUG" script that was supposed to be on the Campion SE engine deckl lid?
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baja Champion S/E didn't have a special deck lid emblem. It just said VOLKSWAGEN. The only official special edition that had a special decklid emblem was the SUN BUG and that was dealer installed or was supposed to have been. In the UK the GT Beetle said "GT Beetle" on the engine lid.
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well according to the SE website it did have one that said BAJA BUG

http://www.sebeetles.com/champion/
reddog55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with DrDarby. In 1972 I bought one and all it had on the decklid was the Volkswagen emblem.
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what info I have managed to come by and remember seeing, they were supposed to be dealer installed with the rest of the items that made the car a Baja Champion SE. Most dealers did not go through the trouble of removing the Volkswagen script and replacing it with the Baja Bug script. I have a friend that had one of the scripts many years ago and sold it and I saw one on a bug about 4 years ago. I saw it, but didn't pay special mind to it. I just thought. Why do they have that on a bug when it is not even a baja.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that same reference recently. I have never seen an emblem for the Baja Champion like there is one for the previously mentioned GT Beetle and the Sun Bug. The Sun Bug, like the Baja Champion, was a US special edition. Not all Sun Bugs got the rear emblem. Those were dealer installed. There are even some newer fakes of those floating around. I won't say the Baja emblem doesn't exist but I find it funny I have never seen one in person or in pictures. You'd think one would show up on a Baja Champion, here in the classifieds or on eBay at some point or another. For me, that's nearly 15 years of nothing.
bdub74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 produced during 1972 to commemorate Baja off-road race successes from 1967-1971. A European 'Marathon' 1302 Super Beetle (Marathon Metallic - silver/blue, L96M), 'Baja' wheels (Lemmertz made and named Marathon wheels in Europe) with silver wheel nut covers and hexagonal center caps, tapered tail pipes. Dealer installed overriders, 'Baja' side stripes, 'Baja Bug' logo on engine cover, plaque on glove box lid and optional Bosch halogen driving lamps.

Car featured full American specification, leatherette bucket (high back) seats, full carpeting including trunk area, two-speed fan powered ventilation, rear window defogger, day/night (anti-dazzle) mirror, glove compartment lock and vanity mirror.

from the dealer ad on the se beetle link
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdub74 wrote:
'Baja Bug' logo on engine cover

from the dealer ad on the se beetle link

Nope. Look again, Lambchop. The ad does NOT mention the logo on engine cover. Only the SE site itself mentions it, and they do NOT have a picture of it.

Until I see a reliable source or a genuine example of it existing, I don't believe its existence. The SE site is a good source but it has updates now and again because it is not infallible and needs those updates.

In fact, the ad says the leatherette interior is optional as well.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be the first time there was an error on the SEbeetles website.

Anyway a 'Baja Bug' logo on engine cover could amount to nothing more than a sticker/decal slapped on below the Volkswagen script same as on the side.
The_Doctor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread I know, but the second to last picture at http://1302super.com/page20.html clearly shows the rear end of the Baja Champion SE at the WCM Museum. This should put the "Baja Bug" script on the decklid theory to rest. There might have been "Baja Bug" scripts that dealers installed on their "Baja Beetle" packages, but they did not come from the factory like that.
shinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug deck lid script??? what does it look like Reply with quote

Hey guys Colin at SEBeetles here. I know this is an old thread but just want to add we here at SEB do update the site almost daily and it currently has over 200 profiles to try and keep current. Its tough and all information is added in good faith from best information available.

We do this site as a hobby for the benefit of all fans worldwide. One thing we notice is that VW themselves have forgotten most of their history and we have certainly noticed on their vehicle birth certificates many inconsistencies.

Regarding the Baja Bug badge we have have updated that now even though some seem to have seen one, but we accept most likely it never existed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: