Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Bus Wiring Question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: 1967 Bus Wiring Question Reply with quote

I've been rebuilding a bus with a 1967 wiring harness, but I'm piecing it together after the fact - I got the bus with the harness hacked and incomplete. I'm reading the wiring diagram, but having a problem with it. If I'm understanding it correctly, then it has two relays, wiper switch, headlight switch (with dimmer), high-beam floor switch, turn signal switch, and interior light switch. Is this correct, or am I misreading it? The diagram isn't as clear as I'd like, or I'm just more dense than most - it's not entirely clear if I'm reading something as a switch when it's actually a relay.

Stray
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you reading the correct schematic, I thought that year bus did not use the high beam floor switch anymore?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_67_USA_key.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_67_USA.jpg
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone beat me to it. Very Happy My DC doesn't have a floor switch. High beams are handled by lifting up on the turn signal switch arm and as far as I know that's the same for full buses as well.

There's also a European wiring diagram in the same section as those 61TXghia pointed you to.

Robert

61TXghia wrote:
Are you reading the correct schematic, I thought that year bus did not use the high beam floor switch anymore?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_67_USA_key.jpg
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_67_USA.jpg

1972 VW Squareback (Autobahn in the Sky - July 1987)
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1964 European bus with a 1967 USA dashboard and wiring harness. I bought it with the "new" dashboard tack-welded in place but not installed fully, with a box full of relays, switches, and the like (many of which weren't part of this bus... just to keep things interesting). The starter is 12V, and the battery that was with the bus is also 12V, but there are a number of places where it still has the 64 wiring... I'm trying to eliminate the 6V stuff, once I identify it. I salvaged a turn signal switch from a 12V bus, I haven't checked if it also has the hi-beam switch.

Stray
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just humor me here, so you are basically wanting to rewire your bus to use the 67 wiring set up? or are you just trying to rewire it as a 64 should be wired and all you have to work with is a 67 harness. the reason im asking is there area lot of major differences in how the 2 years are wired.
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEK!! That's one big jigsaw puzzle for you. If you have a floor switch, and want to keep it active in concert with the 1967 harness, you're going to have to run wires and splice them in with the switch. Voltage might be an issue. I have no idea if that's simply a toggle switch or a relay that is power rated.

Personally, I think the floor switches are cool!! My grandmother's Plymouth Valiant had a floor swich for high beams and it was so easy to switch on and off.

Robert
Stray Catalyst wrote:
It's a 1964 European bus with a 1967 USA dashboard and wiring harness. I bought it with the "new" dashboard tack-welded in place but not installed fully, with a box full of relays, switches, and the like (many of which weren't part of this bus... just to keep things interesting). The starter is 12V, and the battery that was with the bus is also 12V, but there are a number of places where it still has the 64 wiring... I'm trying to eliminate the 6V stuff, once I identify it. I salvaged a turn signal switch from a 12V bus, I haven't checked if it also has the hi-beam switch.

Stray

Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the bus is wired with the 67 harness, so I want to stick with that. I'm not interested in downgrading to 6V, with the associated problems with dim lights, expensive and hard to find components, inability to jump-start, etc. I'd like to use the floor switch if it's not too complicated, and to my understanding all it does it trigger the headlight relay, so it should be able to handle 12V - correct me if I'm wrong - as easily as 6V.

Stray
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is not a huge issue for you, I'd invest in a new harness from Wire-werks. The value far outweighs the price in my book.
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is a huge issue - I've already exceeded my budget by rather a lot. Right now I'm trying to get it on the road with as little extra money as possible... I hadn't budgeted for (amongst other things) a replacement trans, RGBs, case, heads, carbs, alternator, and various electrical parts, all of which I've already had to purchase. If the harness that's already installed isn't going to work, then I'll replace it, but I'd prefer to try to work with what I have before I whip out the plastic and make my banker wealthier.

Stray
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at Wolfsburg West and their floor switch says it is good for European buses through 1967. It also doesn't mention power so it must be voltage agnostic.

If that's a 1967 turn signal switch you will have to figure out which wires trigger the high beam. What I would do is cut the wire downsteam from the switch and install spade plugs on one side and then run a new wire from the floor switch to the spade recepticle on the other end. Either tape off the cut wire, or install recepticles and then tape them off. That way you can always switch to the turn signal switch down the road if you, or another owner, eventually wants to.

Robert
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the floor switch, you don't use the headlight relay. Follow the headlight wiring diagram for a '65 or older Bus.

If you're going to use the relay, then you need the '66/'67 turn signal switch with the dimmer switch built in. Use the diagram for a '67 Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertTJM - "Voltage agnostic" - I like that phrase. Thank you.

///Mink, thank you, that was the answer to my question. I have a 12V 67 turn signal switch/dimmer, so I'll use that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wires and switches don't care if they are using 6V, 12V 0r 200V, only relays, gauges, electric motors and bulbs care. The floor switch will work with the 67 harness if you add wires between where the relay would plug in and the floor switch, or use the relay and late signal switch.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: