Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Owner Occupation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outdoornate65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outdoornate65 wrote:
Male Nurse....ER....nights.

I'm with Health One.....we just opened a new free-standing ER on the far SE side of town. Saddlerock.

Nate
ratdogfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently i'm "retired", but i know it won't last forever.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:
Porsche GT Research & Development Master Technician, drivetrain, suspension and motor control systems.

I have to ask what motor is in your Vanagon?

and... any interesting suspension mods done? some parts from the Cayenne might fit

200hp/330ftlb 1.9 PD TDI 6speed Manual 48mpg@67mph@2000rpm using a modified cruising fuel code, no Porsche suspension yet, but have a full set of electronic bilstiens shocks (997 Porsche)and canbus controler going on early next year. The vanagon suspension design is actually much better than people think.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
Porsche GT Research & Development Master Technician, drivetrain, suspension and motor control systems.

and... any interesting suspension mods done? some parts from the Cayenne might fit

200hp/330ftlb 1.9 PD TDI 6speed Manual 48mpg@67mph@2000rpm using a modified cruising fuel code, no Porsche suspension yet, but have a full set of electronic bilstiens shocks (997 Porsche)and canbus controler going on early next year. The vanagon suspension design is actually much better than people think.

What??? 6 speed!!! Shocked
Come on! You have to tell us more about it!
Is there a web site, or a tread somewhere? Or start a new one here on thesamba...
I need to know! Cool
I do like my 5 speed AAP with a 4.14 R&P, but it still can be better.
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedrokrusher wrote:
randywebb wrote:

Is there a web site, or a tread somewhere? Or start a new one here on thesamba...
I need to know! Cool

I will do a build threda in the new year when I have more time, really busy right now! The engine and gearbox are out of a 2003 Passat sport 6 speed manual, I flipped the box and engine is running standard 15deg , also running all the loom and dash out of the passat, hence the reason I have can-bus to run the electronic shocks system.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedrokrusher wrote:
randywebb wrote:

I need to know! Cool

I will do a build threda in the new year when I have more time, really busy right now! The engine and gearbox are out of a 2003 Passat sport 6 speed manual, I flipped the box and engine is running standard 15deg , also running all the loom and dash out of the passat, hence the reason I have can-bus to run the electronic shocks system.

Wow! Thanks for your positive response... I can't wait!!!!
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outdoornate65 -

I'm at Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland. We fly to Denver a lot, but not to your place.
- Keith
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a staff anesthesiologist and director of obstetrical anesthesia at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle for 26 years. I retired two years ago at 56.
My retirement present to myself? An '84 Westfalia.
Inspired by John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie" and William Least Heat-Moon's "Blue Highways" I set off the day I got married on a round-trip back roads exploration of America from Seattle to Florida with my spouse and two mutts. We will be taking off again soon on another cross-country trip for the third year in a row, but this time in an '87 syncro I imported from Canada.
Many thousands of miles and many breakdowns later, I've come to appreciate all the helpful information I've found here on the Samba. I still can't fix my van, but at least now I have an idea what may be wrong. So a big thank you to all here.

(I know I'm reviving a dormant thread, but I found this particular thread and a companion one at http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7354032&highlight=#7354032 to be the most interesting of all because they gave me a small insight into who the fascinating people of this vanagon community really are.)
wendy.joslin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Wildland fire fighter Reply with quote

I've been a Wildland fire fighter for 17 years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vanagonhopefull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Production Sound Mixer for TV / Film. Recently worked on The Amazing Race (CBS) and The Amazing Race Canada (CTV).

https://www.facebook.com/Simon-Paine-Location-Sound-133489820033352/?pnref=lhc
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former self employed organic dairy farmer...3rd grade school teacher...spent 7 years doing both. Now I am a dad, 3rd grade school teacher and ski instructor at Jay Peak, VT. ❄

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Owner Occupation Reply with quote

I'm an IT Engineer that works mostly with UNIX/Linux based systems and OpenSource goodies for a career since 15.

Betsy, has been my 'fun again' engineer sort hobby especially with recent mTDI conversion adventure! She lets me get away from all the computery madness. She also helps transition well into road trip and camping adventures!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Owner Occupation Reply with quote

research scientist
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Owner Occupation Reply with quote

Mechanical Engineer
I have been working at Boeing on the 787 program since 2012 (structural Engineer and now Systems Engineering), prior to that was civil service at Bangor, WA (NAVFAC) as an "Energy Engineer" and out of college (2007) I worked for Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding as a structural engineer for aircraft carrier CVN 78 "Gerald Ford".
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Owner Occupation Reply with quote

I do restoration work on old cars.
Spend my weekends and some weeknights performing music (I'm a drummer)
I also have a business, selling pet memorial urns and other supplies online.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Owner Occupation Reply with quote

If you are an engineer, then how about making us some Vanagon stuff...
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Owner Occupation Reply with quote

I resisted even starting to read this thread, seeing that there was 29 pages and thinking that I was headed down a rabbit trail. Turns out that it became real interesting, and I'm glad I did. Really interesting collection of individuals.
USAF: crypto and comm
Robotics: automated guided vehicle installation and repair
Carpentry
Turner of Dirt into Electricity: (nuclear and coal power plant operator, which often changes the tone of discussion when at a festival)
welding
machining
built and raced a circle track beetle
owner of a company that repairs electronics for the paving industry
and Father of 5, former husband of 1

Bottom line, at home, I fix stuff, at work, I watch stuff.

Bo
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wildland fire fighter Reply with quote

wendy.joslin7 wrote:

I was in college for a year on my way to be a wildland firefighter. I dropped out because the debt I was accumulating scared me off. I still sometimes wonder what could have been

I am a union ironworker in cleveland, Ohio now and don't like it at all. Great money but I can't stand the work. If you're still around, how do you like the work?
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wildland fire fighter Reply with quote

wendy.joslin7 wrote:

Interesting van, did the aircooled vans have the rear side marker farther from the seam ala syncros?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Owner Occupation Reply with quote

Day Job: IT systems and software at home town private college and alma mater ~2500 students.

Father

President of 2 for profits; Software Dev company, Technology connectivity company.

President of 1 non-profit (appointed as second president, as my father is in decline), School of Fine Arts in the Bauhaus Tradition (est. 1965)

Practitioner of Energy Healing Arts (Reiki Master, Quantum Touch Practitioner(tm)), Practice based in Minneapolis, client focus on pain relief and calming in epileptics and cancer survivors and those ill with cancers, and end of life related issues. (weekends)

Hobbies: Song writer, singer (8 years of entries in the RPMChallenge.com) Guitar, Tuesday night Jam at my garage with the 'Guys'. Pottery, Poetry, VW's of all sorts, fishing, home/farm equipment maint.

..and more..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 33

Jump to: